Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 23 - Saints v Cats Sat Aug 19th 7:25pm EST (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably our best effort for the year, was good to have most of our players back in the side especially King and Membrey..but I gues it doesnt mean much when you consider the Crows being robbed.
Just our luck

Cats received 5 free kicks for the whole game.

Never seen that b4.
And one was a ridiculous “deliberate” out of bounds when the ball was kicked into the forward pocket in the direction of King who was in the vicinity.

For a change we got the run, but at least 6/7 were holding the balls. Our pressure was intense. Only one goal resulted from a free if I recall correctly - The Higgins 50 which was absolutely there.

Yes, I’m a Saints fan but I don’t remember any Cats fans around me going off at the umpires, so I think it was pretty well umpired actually.

Pretty harsh.
I don't believe you are a troll in disguise as you sometimes come up with some brilliant insight but this is way off.

You could see we are not fit and we are carrying players who are simply not ready for it yet.
We had no choice though. Injuries to Blicavs & Guthrie, along with blokes who are clearly carrying something (Dangerfield & Cameron) is a major reason why our season went pair shaped.
Simply couldn't get any continuity whatsoever.
I would like a bit more honesty from the club with regard to the injuries and player availability. I am baffled as to why Knevitt doesn't get a go? Last night was the first time in about 20 years that i saw a Geelong team borderline noncompetitive. Is there another problem down there?

And one was a ridiculous “deliberate” out of bounds when the ball was kicked into the forward pocket in the direction of King who was in the vicinity.

For a change we got the run, but at least 6/7 were holding the balls. Our pressure was intense. Only one goal resulted from a free if I recall correctly - The Higgins 50 which was absolutely there.

Yes, I’m a Saints fan but I don’t remember any Cats fans around me going off at the umpires, so I think it was pretty well umpired actually.
Have to say, as a Cats fan, I was so frustrated at times with umpiring, where they’d miss say a head being ripped off against Henry on the wing, then call him for holding the ball seconds later, as an example. Think they seemed very quick to pay anything St Kilda way, but reticent to pay Cats - there were lots of frees that went unpaid. They gave one late in the game that ran on for a goal, with Cats player pushed blatantly in the back, the ump took ages to blow whistle, it wouldn’t have mattered, as the resulting play was a run in goal, but the ump really seemed to be fighting himself to pay it. Odd. That said, St Kilda’s inaccuracy had a greater effect on result. We just were nowhere near it and St Kilda, albeit lacking a bit of polish, were united, hard at it and really wanted to play finals. Your pressure was outstanding and what you’d expect for a team needing to win to stay in it. Enjoy the finals

You have already missed finals for the second time in just three years.

You need to be reminded Geelong won flags in 07, 09, 11 and for the next 12 years, missed the finals twice. Can Richmond do similar and not miss for the next decade or so?

Hahaha, but we made finals last year yeah? now had it been two in a row then sure you may have a point. But this year with Dimma stepping down, injuries to our key fwd in Lynch and other top liners have cost us but we are at the end of our reign and don't think we would've caused any damage had we made it. Plus our game plan hasn't stacked up with changing times a new coach is needed, so ill leave that one there.

On your 2nd point. Reminded, lol why do you need to go back 15 years :rolleyes: no one disputing what you have done in that time.
Can we do the same, we are a better organization these days than back in the day but need i remind you when Richmond plays in GFs they're more than likely to win them. We are the second most successful team in the last 55 years only behind the Hawks, winning 8 flags from 10 GF appearances. So, in 55 years we play in a GF every 5.5 years and win a GF every 6.8 years. Cats in that time have won only 4. Before 2007 your previous flag was 44 years prior.

Don't get so touchy, In reply to a poster, that stated we are talking perhaps the worst premiership defence in the AFL era and after winning one you fell in a heap this year that it can't be disputed but hey let's change the narrative and bring up flags from 07, etc

Ooooh right I didn’t realise that the number of games won in a particular season actually gets altered by ither seasons’ results

I guessed my post went over you, we missed out on 2021 after winning 3 flags. In 2017 premiers, top of the ladder 2018 (PF), back2back 2019/2020 it was on the cards that we would have a year like 2021

Now, you won the flag in 2022 and dropped off outside the 8 this year that's the point that was being made. Richmond has had a crap year for the reasons mentioned and we are on the same points as your mob. Anyways, we'll enjoy the off-season together.

I guessed my post went over you, we missed out on 2021 after winning 3 flags. In 2017 premiers, top of the ladder 2018 (PF), back2back 2019/2020 it was on the cards that we would have a year like 2021

Now, you won the flag in 2022 and dropped off outside the 8 this year that's the point that wa sbeign made. Richmond has had a crap this year for the reasons mentioned and we are on the same points as your mob. Anyways, we'll enjoy the off-season together.

Who gives a s**t. Your flag defence - where you try and defend the flag you just won - was s**t.

Hawthorn finished top four the year after their third flag. The Cats easily made the finals after theirs. Brisbane made another grand final.

So even relative to the other dynasty teams it was shithouse. Cop the medicine and move on

Who gives a s**t. Your flag defence - where you try and defend the flag you just won - was s**t.

Hawthorn finished top four the year after their third flag. The Cats easily made the finals after theirs. Brisbane made another grand final.

So even relative to the other dynasty teams it was shithouse. Cop the medicine and move on

* you still don't get it, ask anyone, heck put up a poll on whats worse missing finals after winning 3 flags or missing finals after winning 1
Did any of the dynasty teams miss finals after winning their first the answer is NO. In your own words, Cop the medicine and move on :p

* you still don't get it, ask anyone, heck put up a poll on whats worse missing finals after winning 3 flags or missing finals after winning 1
Did any of the dynasty teams miss finals after winning their first the answer is NO. In your own words, Cop the medicine and move on :p

What’s to get.

The question was asked - is this the worst premiership defence?

The answer is no. There have been many worse including your most recent.
No one asked ‘why was it bad’
No one asked ‘how many flags had the team won’

The salient fact is that to have to go wayyyyy way back 2 whole years to find a reigning premier faring worse and no amount of you trying to say ‘yeah but 2-3-4 years before that we did such-and-such’ will change it.

A characteristically frustrating end to a hugely disappointing season. We actually looked quite good when we were able to create some disputed ball, but St Kilda picked us apart all night, waltzing it out of defence. We looked extremely slow compared to the Saints and it highlights how much value Gary Rohan provides and how hard it will be to cover him when he retires.

Hawkins did what he could but he looked like he shouldn't have been out there. It's weird hearing coaches preaching about their 'ultra cautious' approach to managing injuries and then seeing Hawkins getting frustrated when his teammates did anything other than bomb it on his head because he could barely run.

2024 should be an interesting season, I'd like to see a few of the players whom we'll be looking for to step into senior roles next year get a taste against the Dogs.

I think there were a couple of times he looked short of full fitness but the two most obvious times he was demonstrative were when he was pretty clearly deliberately playing from behind and wanted it over the top.

He still got on the lead for 2-3 marks and was in decent enough nick to pick his way through a few players and land one on Zac Guthrie’s chest. Which he duly missed

It was a well umpired match -they let a fair bit go, both ways- which was good, and the umpiring had no bearing on the outcome. Scoreboard flattered us.

Nobody cares old thing. Get over it. After the last 25 years, no cats fan could have any complaints- we have had brilliant run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm here mate.
Yes, went to the game and yes, you guys deserved it fair and square.

As for the flog comments, must have touched a nerve as usually those who lash out like this make it personal.

Good win by your mob. Enjoy it while you can and hopefully you can keep the umpires out if it during September.
Like they stayed out of the Cats v Port game a few weeks ago or?

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cats received 5 free kicks for the whole game.

Never seen that b4.
the relevant question is, did they deserve more, in the context of the game. I'm sure if you go back you can find some, but you would also find more for saints that weren't paid as well.

I would like a bit more honesty from the club with regard to the injuries and player availability. I am baffled as to why Knevitt doesn't get a go? Last night was the first time in about 20 years that i saw a Geelong team borderline noncompetitive. Is there another problem down there?

Yeh same. Knevitt has done more than enough to earn his spot. Even when he made his debut, he really did nothing wrong to be dropped but maybe they are holding them back. Geelong have a habit of doing it.

I just think they got ahead of themselves and read the hype and felt they could ease off in preseason and still stroll into September.
Cameron's on record saying he took a bit easier than what he normally had.

Hahaha, but we made finals last year yeah? now had it been two in a row then sure you may have a point. But this year with Dimma stepping down, injuries to our key fwd in Lynch and other top liners have cost us but we are at the end of our reign and don't think we would've caused any damage had we made it. Plus our game plan hasn't stacked up with changing times a new coach is needed, so ill leave that one there.

On your 2nd point. Reminded, lol why do you need to go back 15 years :rolleyes: no one disputing what you have done in that time.
Can we do the same, we are a better organization these days than back in the day but need i remind you when Richmond plays in GFs they're more than likely to win them. We are the second most successful team in the last 55 years only behind the Hawks, winning 8 flags from 10 GF appearances. So, in 55 years we play in a GF every 5.5 years and win a GF every 6.8 years. Cats in that time have won only 4. Before 2007 your previous flag was 44 years prior.

Don't get so touchy, In reply to a poster, that stated we are talking perhaps the worst premiership defence in the AFL era and after winning one you fell in a heap this year that it can't be disputed but hey let's change the narrative and bring up flags from 07, etc
There are still players playing from 2007, it looks like there will be next season. Mitchell, Longmuir, and McQualter are all senior coaches and weren't born in 1980.

I reckon 2016 steeled Richmond's board but I think the Tigers are in about the same amount of trouble age/quality wise as Geelong. It will be interesting to see if either get up any time soon.

Now you know.

Cats fans stuck in the lay-by - that's your lane now.
Nah, when you have sustained excellence a down year is allowed.
Will bounce back strong in 2024. We don't do failure and rebuilds unlike some plebs.

Back