Opinion AFL 2024 Round 6 - Liked, Learnt, Hated... NOW WITH ADDED WRAPPING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re going to do something a little different this week folks - Welcome to the inaugural edition of the Main Board Weekend Wrap!

Happy Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Don’t forget to post your Liked, Learnt, Hated as usual… along with any other musings or quibbles you might have about round 6.

Now let's get started…

Saints v Dogs, Thursday night: This was meant to start at 7:30pm. Nobody told the Saints that. Once they realised they’d missed the entire opening quarter, they decided maybe it was better to just not turn up at all.

Crows v Bombers, Friday night: Yes, yes, the Bombers were the better side all night and deserved to win. But that was holding the ball.

1713688300432.png

Pies v Port, Saturday arvo: New essay topic everyone... “Port’s performance against Collingwood at the MCG in 2024 was even worse than Port’s performance against Collingwood at the MCG in 2023”. Discuss.

Blues v Giants, Saturday arvo: The Giants were super impressive, cutting the Blues up with leg speed and precise ball movement all afternoon Sorry. I should have learnt last week not to write Giants reviews halfway through the third quarter.

Lions v Cats, Saturday night: Huh? I thought the Lions were back?! Maybe Geelong are actually good this year. There I said it. Don’t quote me, I’ll deny everything.

Eagles v Freo, Saturday night: Well this certainly turned out to be the mismatch we were all expecting… it’s just that it was the wrong way round. In other news, the Wosh reverse-curse on the Eagles continues.

1713688520234.png

Swans v Suns, Sunday arvo: Were Gold Coast bad or were Sydney good? I genuinely don’t know. This silly Heeney Brownlow thing might actually be real though.

North v Hawks, Sunday twilight: A couple of cellar dwellers, a less than stellar commentary team, and it didn’t even end up being close on the scoreboard. Sorry to all involved but this game was well deserving of the graveyard timeslot.

Liked:
Not much really

Learnt:
The Pies might be back in business
The Lions can still play finals but you can probably rule a line through them as flag contenders
The media got way ahead of themselves re: the Suns. The three games they've won they would've done under Dew. Until they can start performing better on the road, they won't be a finals side
The Eagles' resurgence is happening well before expected. Helped by strong senior leadership from the likes of Yeo, Kelly, Gov and Barrass in addition to freaks like Reid
Assistance packages are worthless if you're void of senior leadership (North)

Hated:
The Draper non-decision. Not because it cost us a chance of winning, but the club will use it as a convenient excuse instead of making wholesale changes that it needs to. Essendon had +19 I50s and +8 scoring shots, it never should've been that close

liked- sam draper reenacting the HTB non decision

learnt- freo are a shambolic club with losing in its DNA

hated- not putting a 100 on the eagles to win by 30 +

Learnt:
Dimma needs to spend more time at the club rather than prancing around town living the life.

Pies, Blues and Cats were all ENORMOUS in their respective ways. The benchmark is set and everyone else now knows what is required.

Hated:
Commentatoes. While the AFL wants to diversify referees, we need with MORE URGENCY to smash the ol' boys media club which gives us tired old unimaginative cliches each week, rambling verbosity, and the wrong player names. I'd be excluding anyone over 42, enticing younger, sharper, more professional recent retirees who can tuck a shirt in and take up less camera space.

Learnt:
Dimma needs to spend more time at the club rather than prancing around town living the life.

Pies, Blues and Cats were all ENORMOUS in their respective ways. The benchmark is set and everyone else now knows what is required.

Hated:
Commentatoes. While the AFL wants to diversify referees, we need with MORE URGENCY to smash the ol' boys media club which gives us tired old unimaginative cliches each week, rambling verbosity, and the wrong player names. I'd be excluding anyone over 42, enticing younger, sharper, more professional recent retirees who can tuck a shirt in and take up less camera space.
Can we make them all do a broadcast media diploma please.

And if you can’t name all the players on a team you can’t commentate.

Liked: almost everything about Saturday, the motorbike man, my man Yeo, Waterman playing like JK

Learnt: either we're back to being half decent or Freo and Richmond are shite. It almost feels like we're back amongst the pack. Could be kidding myself and it could turn bad, but I won't be surprised if we nab 8 wins this year and finish say 12th.

Hated: Power and Giants losing

We’re going to do something a little different this week folks - Welcome to the inaugural edition of the Main Board Weekend Wrap!

Happy Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Don’t forget to post your Liked, Learnt, Hated as usual… along with any other musings or quibbles you might have about round 6.

Now let's get started…

Saints v Dogs, Thursday night: This was meant to start at 7:30pm. Nobody told the Saints that. Once they realised they’d missed the entire opening quarter, they decided maybe it was better to just not turn up at all.

Crows v Bombers, Friday night: Yes, yes, the Bombers were the better side all night and deserved to win. But that was holding the ball.

View attachment 1966286

Pies v Port, Saturday arvo: New essay topic everyone... “Port’s performance against Collingwood at the MCG in 2024 was even worse than Port’s performance against Collingwood at the MCG in 2023”. Discuss.

Blues v Giants, Saturday arvo: The Giants were super impressive, cutting the Blues up with leg speed and precise ball movement all afternoon Sorry. I should have learnt last week not to write Giants reviews halfway through the third quarter.

Lions v Cats, Saturday night: Huh? I thought the Lions were back?! Maybe Geelong are actually good this year. There I said it. Don’t quote me, I’ll deny everything.

Eagles v Freo, Saturday night: Well this certainly turned out to be the mismatch we were all expecting… it’s just that it was the wrong way round. In other news, the Wosh reverse-curse on the Eagles continues.

View attachment 1966287

Swans v Suns, Sunday arvo: Were Gold Coast bad or were Sydney good? I genuinely don’t know. This silly Heeney Brownlow thing might actually be real though.

North v Hawks, Sunday twilight: A couple of cellar dwellers, a less than stellar commentary team, and it didn’t even end up being close on the scoreboard. Sorry to all involved but this game was well deserving of the graveyard timeslot.
Not a bad assessment but I think you were too easy on Freo

I'm going to be doing a mid-season review, and it will be scathing and controversial. I'm already incredibly disappointed in North, Adelaide and Freo.

Whenever Harley isnt on screen all the commentators should be asking "where's Harley?".
Well if people can stop ******* talking about Daicos I'll be happy.

This kid is the real deal to the point that the separation between him and the rest is huge as opposed to the 2019 draft where it's relatively solid all round

Liked, the young guns of football killing it in their first few years of AFL.

Learned, sadly, nothing about Port.

Hated, the feeling that Port will never be contenders under the current coaching and administration group.

Port needs to win the 5-6 big games away from home more than they need the 12 that they should win. Even if Port crack 15 wins for the season, if they can't perform solidly against Carlton, GWS, Fremantle, Geelong, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne they're not going deep in the finals.

Port needs to win the 5-6 big games away from home more than they need the 12 that they should win. Even if Port crack 15 wins for the season, if they can't perform solidly against Carlton, GWS, Fremantle, Geelong, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne they're not going deep in the finals.
When was the last time Port won a final in Victoria?

Liked - I am so in love with Harley Reid

Learnt - West Coast are on the up. With their injuries last year, 2024 is shaping up to be a more accurate representation of where they’re at.

Hated - Thursday night scheduling. Last week had the dees playing their 3rd game in 13 days. This time it was the saints 3rd in 11 and off the back of 5 day break. I get it, teams are going to be tested. But it’s a marquee time-slot. Give us two teams fresh and ready to play, otherwise we end up with s**t footy.

Liked- Winning!

Learnt- The media labelling West Coast as a worse club than Fitzroy was embarrassing.

Hated- Sunday twighlight games on a work/school night. 30k was pretty good though for bottom 2 clubs.

Learnt:

Hated:
Commentatoes🤣 funny as but very apt.

When was the last time Port won a final in Victoria?

2013 EF vs Collingwood.

We have never won a final in Melbourne against another Victorian side other than that. The only other final we won in Melbourne was the 2004 GF vs Brisbane. All our other wins has been in Adelaide and 1 game in Perth vs Freo in the 2014 SF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back