Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
As mentioned earlier the version of the game that was released this morning was NOT what the planned release was meant to be.

All of the bugs seen currently had already been fixed / patched after our plays and prior in anticipation for the launch of the game.

The patch s**t the bed at launch and removed most of that work giving us the game we saw this morning

Patches coming out are rebuilding this gradually to get it back to what the release version was meant to be.
I know you have a good relationship with them but we just have to cut the bullshit man and be honest with these guys. There's no excuse for any of what we've seen today or in the months prior. It's been a total disgrace.

Twistie played hardest & won 83 - 0. Now he is playing Hard which is 1 level down in difficulty and is currently losing 4.0 24 to 4.8 32 in the 3rd qrt.

So there is something wrong with the difficulties
Seems like it makes no sense, I was struggling on (AFL) Easiest... :(
Played again on Medium (AFLW) and seemed easier

Played a couple of games just to get a feel for it and honestly, despite the many flaws which I will touch on I actually think there's a lot to work with in this game. Passing by foot works well for the most part and allows for a good spread and movement of the ball down the field, players do seem to run on leading patterns and present numerous times which means there is some skill in timing your kicks to align with the run of a presenting player. The hack kicks forward and off the ground options are handy in keeping the ball moving forward if you are in a bit of traffic and the animations can look pretty good at times. I have no idea what I'm doing in the ruck but I think I've won a tap once or twice so might just be a me thing.

Things that are really holding this game back (again, just focusing on gameplay):
  • Handballing can be clunky and will sometimes just randomly go to ground even if you've selected a player out in the clear. Part of the problem will be me but it's not perfect by any stretch
  • The bigger problem with handballing is the receiver basically runs into thick mud when the ball arrives and you then accelerates like an old truck which means that any space you have managed to create is lost. This happens regardless of whether the player is stationary or if they are on the run which is even more annoying as it breaks the flow of the game and the play you are making
  • Marking contests are probably marked 95% of the time, the only spoil I have seen the AI make was my own teams AI spoil me trying to mark a ball. Spoiling should definitely be more prominant
  • The ball bounces weird. You can bomb a ball 50m and it'll land and move maybe 5 metres but you can handball the ball and it turns into a wallaby on meth and just bounces its way 30 metres randomly. Really odd
  • Playing on from a mark seems to break sometimes
  • Manual player swapping has stopped working on numerous occasions which is far from ideal
  • Sometimes you'll get tackled/tackle someone and the ball will just drop out at their feet and players will all just stand around and you think that a ball up has been called but eventually those 2 players will again try grab the ball and play will then resume. It's weird.
  • Minor thing but the replays are way too zoomed in. Would much prefer a more broadcast style replay rather than a replay that the ball takes up 20% of the screen space on

I've actually enjoyed the couple of games I've played and admittedly I'm easily pleased when it comes to AFL games since we are lucky to even get one.

This is a well summarised position on what improvements should be focused on.

other areas needing attention

• lack of stats
  • interchange not working
  • unable to change squad/lineup in season (restricted to core 22)

the afternoon patch on pc made the game alot more enjoyable. its not perfect, but with this patch its very enjoyable, however would be great to see the above items addressed.

Hahahah after all that gloating from BigAnt shitting all over the other developers they deserve this. Acted like a smug prick about their product and took pot shots at WW and then turned out a garbage product. Incredible

Is it intentional to not have the option for multiplayer management mode? If so that’s absolutely ridiculous. Not sure why i’m asking won’t get a response from them lol

I keep getting the same problem with Charlie Curnow I time the set shot properly but he shanks it all the time but it’s fine for other players. And everytime I finish a game it just crashes. (All on PS5 probably the reason)

Can anyone tell me if you can customise rosters and player ratings, or if you can customise season mode with a fantasy / serpentine draft?
Yes you can add and remove players from rosters. I couldn’t find a way to change player ratings. Hopefully that comes soon

Fantasy draft option isn’t available and I assume it’ll be quite a while for that one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know in the Team Management screen how to remove the ‘S’ from the sub? Seems to stay even when I put the player into the lineup 😳 thanks! JNT BA
Just ignore that. Your first 4 on the bench are I/C and the 5th is the sub. The little S literally does nothing. Plus I haven’t found a way to get any of my interchange guys actually on the pitch yet

AFLW commentary is much better.

Jason Bennett seems to be better than Huddo as he’s not yelling but still shows excitement with his voice.

Underwood is the analyst and not calling the play and Harford on the boundary talking at end of the quarters.

The only person that hasn’t been heard so far is Hamish.

I keep getting the same problem with Charlie Curnow I time the set shot properly but he shanks it all the time but it’s fine for other players. And everytime I finish a game it just crashes. (All on PS5 probably the reason)
In career mode I noticed he's rated like 30. so maybe his goalkicking is set to 0?

The ratings of a few players in career mode were way off. I'm sure that'll be fixed in an upcoming patch..

The game actually isn't as bad as i was expecting based off a lot of the posts today (playing on PC so have the first patch). it's sluggish in places and really unresponsive and just not fun at the moment but if they put in the effort on patches I can see it becoming a good game.

Hahahah after all that gloating from BigAnt shitting all over the other developers they deserve this. Acted like a smug prick about their product and took pot shots at WW and then turned out a garbage product. Incredible
The absolute hubris. Even more embarrassing is the people who were defending them for so long (for free no less) and obviously they're nowhere to be found now

How anybody can defend BigAnts handling of this game in all aspects baffles me, even some of the face scans dont work which was their biggest selling point. People paid money (for some it's a lot of money) for a trash game that doesnt work let alone what they said would be in the game that isnt there. Everybody should be getting a refund until they sort it out at BigAnts expense and if they go under it's their own fault for lying, throwing out an appalling game and hyping it up to trick customers into buying it..

Yeah Hamish doesn't seem to be in the game. Ross confirmed he was weeks before release. Then when multiple of us noticed he was gone from the game listings and asked about it, we were met with silence. I mean you talk about transparency and I get there are some restrictions but honestly why can't we get an answer for something as simple as this? Crazy.

I know you have a good relationship with them but we just have to cut the bullshit man and be honest with these guys. There's no excuse for any of what we've seen today or in the months prior. It's been a total disgrace.
I never said it wasn't s**t or a disgrace, I'm just providing context because people clearly want to keep overlooking what had been said for some bizarre reason.

No one wants it, no one likes it, but that's the context.

If you or anyone else don't want to understand it that's fine.

Let's just await the patches then reassess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back