Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What are your favourites?

Here's some I've had the pleasure of reading

- Our Great Game - a photographic history of Australian Rules
Some great North Melbourne shots in there - Carey, Grant, Dench, 1999 celebrations etc

- The Truth Hurts - Wayne Carey. A sad read but an insightful one.

- AFL Encyclopedia (any edition) - Always great to read through

- After Bali - Jason McCartney - an insightful, inspirational read

- Jim Stynes: My Journey - another interesting read.

Share your favourites.

Yeah Carey's book is a Ripper! Very insightful... Richo was ok aswell.. Leigh Mattews.. Accept all challenges, good read but put me to sleep 3/4 Thru..

Stan Alves wrote a good book

My Dad (Saints supporter) is really close friends with Stan after approaching him following a work function he spoke at. I have read his book and seen him speak and he is by far one of the most inspiring figures I've ever met.

He talks about how to take your chances and enjoy what we have in life. His talk that he does at venues is called "How lucky am I". For someone who lost a child that was hit by a train at a very young age, been sacked from a footy club, which was pretty much a backstabbing, it is one of the greatest attitudes towards life I have ever heard and truly inspiring.

I strongly recommend getting his book and reading it. For those of you who run functions for footy clubs or any type of function at all, I strongly recommend getting in touch with him to speak there as well. He is not that expensive and just a wonderful, wonderful bloke.

After meeting and speaking with him, he is one that I was truly proud that he played for our footy club.

Never really liked Ox when he was playing (something about any player being called 'better than Carey' or 'the next Carey' that used to s**t me).
This book is AMAZING. If you like a bit of drinking and/or gambling, this will have you hooked first page to last.
Valuable lessons to be learnt.
Crazy how much the man won & lost & the short space he did it in.
I lent it out to many a friend the last few years.
Unfortunately like many of my favourite movies on DVD, it was leant out under the influence of a few cans ('Mannn, how have you not seen Fight Club?!? ...here, wait ima get ya my DVD, you watch it & it will flip your freakin lid') & I no longer know who has it.

image.jpg

Also, James Hirds' latest work is pretty interesting. He raises some interesting points but I'm not convinced...

image.jpg

Just had a weird flash back:

Anyone else have that little book as a kid where it was a story about a couple of North players (I think David King and someone else?) visiting a school to give a clinic? They did one for every team from memory. At the back it had the words to our song printed, I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i have a copy of After Bali and this book:
$_57.JPG

did they ever do an update to this.

Anyone else have that little book as a kid where it was a story about a couple of North players (I think David King and someone else?) visiting a school to give a clinic? They did one for every team from memory. At the back it had the words to our song printed, I think.
I remember those. Footy Kids '96 series. I wasn't exactly a kid when I read it. I'll always remember the page of the night game illustration and the words something like "Our home ground is the MCG." :cry:

Yes! I remember searching high and low in my primary school library to find the North one.

Had a bit of a google search to find it, no luck. But I did come across this one...
ISBN1-921087-07-2-e1377068862730.jpg

I can pick out Wellsy, Arch, Rawlings and Drew. But who are the other ones? o_O

Yes! I remember searching high and low in my primary school library to find the North one.

Had a bit of a google search to find it, no luck. But I did come across this one...

My little fella brought this home as a library book last year. The song in the back was wrong from memory which caused the boy some concern!!!

Clockwise from top, it looks like:

Nathan Thompson
Adam Simpson
The Dish (Although doesn't really look like him)
Looks like Sav Rocca but can't remember too much glove work from Sav
Archer
Brady Rawlings
Wellsy

Why does the kid have tomato sauce bottles in each hand?

More recently Dyson Hore-Lacey's book, titled simply "Fitzroy" is one I have and is a very good read.

It has in it the following wonderful quote.

"..I regret what happened in the end, but as for the journey, I was proud to be a part of the struggle. I remember receiving a letter from a supporter which commented 'Once more to the barricades'. That was what it was like - but there were many fine people behind those barricades..."

Also, Adam Muyt's book "Maroon and Blue" is another I have and a very good read. I'm actually in it, which is probably a good reason not to buy it. :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back