AFL Canberra Div3/Div2

Remove this Banner Ad

Yesterday, plenty of notice.

Sounds like a tough game today? How did old mate go umpiring today...

My opinion is that it wasn't great but I'm sure if you asked Yass they might say the same of our ump. The thing that made it look worse was he missed a few calls when the game was in the balance that looked obvious from the sideline and went Yass's way.
That being said Yass fought back from being roughly 2 goals down to win by 2 goals
Good win

Have to ask the question, If they were league umpires that were making/missing these calls would anyone be talking about it ?

I think you teams in Div 3 just need to accept that club umpires are here to stay. Whinging about 50/50 calls to either side is not going to help.
If its not Yass its Cooma if it not Cooma ist Goulburn or Coota. If players play the game get the footy they will be rewarded from what i have seen.Maybe these teams were just better in the day as The Goulburn representive said about last week Yass were the better side.

Thanks

I think everyone has to remember that without the umpires we wouldn't be able to play, and having tried it a couple of times it is a hard gig.

At least come finals, there should be league umpires appointed, so hopefully there shouldn't be any question about Bias.

I am just curious, do these questionable club umpires attend umpiring training throughout the year? And do the clubs themselves have much contact with their umpires and supply feedback on how they performed etc??

In the lower grades at Ainslie, we really struggle with helpers, so each week our umpire is usually an injured player or div 2 player that is the most competent with the rules, and confident to do the job. I really find the less experience they have, the less they interfere in the game, and are generally better umpires as they let the game go a lot more.

In saying that, the last couple of umpires we have had against Harman and Gunghalin were very good.

Some great tussles on the weekend with Yass v Cooma and South Coast hitting some form against the Jets. Shame about the Tuggers forfeit. Hope they can finish the season with a few more numbers and challenge a few sides. Big day for Coota against Belco running out 163 point winners. Played 16 per side so kept the rotations happening with the six man bench. Our willingness to run in numbers all day was the pleasing aspect. Best players were Chanty, Tim Hannon and Sandy who continues his strong form up forward. For Belco I thought "Skip" played a really solid game down back. Trip to the South Coast this week should be a ripper. We are expecting a really fired up S.C outfit desperate to keep their finals chances alive. They structure up really well with a good blend of youth/experience and we will need to continue to play with plenty of confidence to get the win

Some great tussles on the weekend with Yass v Cooma and South Coast hitting some form against the Jets. Shame about the Tuggers forfeit. Hope they can finish the season with a few more numbers and challenge a few sides. Big day for Coota against Belco running out 163 point winners. Played 16 per side so kept the rotations happening with the six man bench. Our willingness to run in numbers all day was the pleasing aspect. Best players were Chanty, Tim Hannon and Sandy who continues his strong form up forward. For Belco I thought "Skip" played a really solid game down back. Trip to the South Coast this week should be a ripper. We are expecting a really fired up S.C outfit desperate to keep their finals chances alive. They structure up really well with a good blend of youth/experience and we will need to continue to play with plenty of confidence to get the win

Great to see Coota doing so well!!

Sounds like the blues would hold their own in div2 next year?? How far off would they be getting 2 teams on the park??

Here is my own opinion on the club umpire situation.
When a club has 1 or 2 people that do the umpiring every week the players become familiar with how that person interprets the game and adjust how they play so they get more free kicks and give away less free kicks.
Example: Cooma has one umpire that is sick of the abuse and will not tolerate being spoken to and will pay 50m penalty's if he is spoken to on a consistent bases so does this make him a cheat? in my opinion no this is how he umpires and Cooma have learnt this and don't talk to him and therefore don't give away as many 50m penalty's as their opposition. Are Cooma happy with this probably not but with out umpires the game cannot be played so they make the most of a bad situation.
When a club has someone different doing the umpiring every week people soon forget any calls that were or were not made as the next time the clubs meet there is someone different blowing the whistle. When its the same ump every time you play a certain team you build an opinion of that umpire but it is only 2 times a year you see him at best.
While id like to post more I have to return to work but I will post my thoughts on a solution to improve the club umpiring later today

Here is my own opinion on the club umpire situation.
When a club has 1 or 2 people that do the umpiring every week the players become familiar with how that person interprets the game and adjust how they play so they get more free kicks and give away less free kicks.
Example: Cooma has one umpire that is sick of the abuse and will not tolerate being spoken to and will pay 50m penalty's if he is spoken to on a consistent bases so does this make him a cheat? in my opinion no this is how he umpires and Cooma have learnt this and don't talk to him and therefore don't give away as many 50m penalty's as their opposition. Are Cooma happy with this probably not but with out umpires the game cannot be played so they make the most of a bad situation.
When a club has someone different doing the umpiring every week people soon forget any calls that were or were not made as the next time the clubs meet there is someone different blowing the whistle. When its the same ump every time you play a certain team you build an opinion of that umpire but it is only 2 times a year you see him at best.
While id like to post more I have to return to work but I will post my thoughts on a solution to improve the club umpiring later today

It looks like I am up for a witch hunt at the tribunal next week. After documented evidence that has so many lies and miss truths to it I doubt I have much chance at the hearing. I have admitted to swearing at a player after he kept abusing me. The rest of the evidence supplied by goal umpire and field umpire from Goulburn is laughable. Would anyone like to hear my opinion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It looks like I am up for a witch hunt at the tribunal next week. After documented evidence that has so many lies and miss truths to it I doubt I have much chance at the hearing. I have admitted to swearing at a player after he kept abusing me. The rest of the evidence supplied by goal umpire and field umpire from Goulburn is laughable. Would anyone like to hear my opinion
What will it achieve Ando ?

Here are my thoughts improving the standard of umpiring in div 3
A simple mentoring program where umpires from the div 1 Sunday games attend Saturday div 3 games and give direction by either assisting on field or at the breaks to help improve the standard. This will help in a few ways firstly there will be an experienced umpire on hand to take control of games if they are getting out of hand. With an experienced umpire on hand players and supporters would be less likely to get away with umpire abuse and with less abuse more people would be inclined to give it a go. The club umpires can also get direct and experienced feed back on how they are doing instead of how the players and supporters think the umpire is going. Financing this program would be simple as boundary umpires are basically non existent and the only way you would get people to do it is by paying them. The up side for div 1 umpires is they may just find a diamond in the ruff and grow the ranks of umpires which is important for the future of the game. This couldn't happen every game I am sure but if it could happen 4 or 5 games a year for each team then I am sure the standard would improve and there would be far less complaining on here. Anyway just my 2 cents worth any feed back welcome as I have spoken to the Cooma powers that be and they want to approach AFL Canberra at the end of the year with somthing

Does anyone here have to hear either side? It's between you, the umpires and the association I would have thought.
Sounds like you might have something to hide nov. It was fine for you to blurt out comments on here that we're not even clise to the truth but don't want to hear my side. I have a funny feeling you might be number 8 for Goulburn if so you were one of the main ill disciplined players. Only topped by 24 and your coach. I guess the truth hurts and Goulburn can't stand losing. The umpiring had nothing to do with the results and I'm surprised you got so close in the end. I have admitted to swearing at a player after he abused me constantly which I regret but at least I admitted to it during the inquiry. And now after umpires and players from Goulburn mostly the goal umpire have lied pathetically and will be found out at tribunal. I don't really care what happens I was only umpiring to help out but I'm only fighting the case now because of the pettiness and miss truths shown by Goulburn football club.

Ok, I'll bite. I myself heard you call Dennis "blind as well as deaf" (knowing he wears a hearing aid) you told players to #?!! Off and to get #!@#ed. Then called a supporter out in front of a group of partners and children.

As for the game and your umpiring, it's a game, I play to hang out with my mates and have an excuse for a beer on the weekend. I don't care if you think we were lucky or not.

And I didn't blurt any comments out, I bit my tongue, better go to the tribunal to protect that sterling reputation.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll bite. I myself heard you call Dennis "blind as well as deaf" (knowing he wears a hearing aid) you told players to #?!! Off and to get #!@#ed. Then called a supporter out in front of a group of partners and children.

As for the game and your umpiring, it's a game, I play to hang out with my mates and have an excuse for a beer on the weekend. I don't care if you think we were lucky or not.

And I didn't blurt any comments out, I bit my tongue, better go to the tribunal to protect that sterling reputation.
You are a lier , and I guessed correctly that you were number 8

Sounds like you might have something to hide nov. It was fine for you to blurt out comments on here that we're not even clise to the truth but don't want to hear my side. I have a funny feeling you might be number 8 for Goulburn if so you were one of the main ill disciplined players. Only topped by 24 and your coach. I guess the truth hurts and Goulburn can't stand losing. The umpiring had nothing to do with the results and I'm surprised you got so close in the end. I have admitted to swearing at a player after he abused me constantly which I regret but at least I admitted to it during the inquiry. And now after umpires and players from Goulburn mostly the goal umpire have lied pathetically and will be found out at tribunal. I don't really care what happens I was only umpiring to help out but I'm only fighting the case now because of the pettiness and miss truths shown by Goulburn football club.

Seahawks, sorry I mean Ando, I think you should of chosen Nov's first advice about keeping it between you and those involved. I am not affiliated with any club but I'm sure Southcab and those at Yass would be stoked to see you on here carrying on. Anyway glad to have you back on here.

How bout we talk footy instead of this garbage. Having looked closely at Div 3 results it appears Coota are going about their business very quietly. Looked to have picked up a few handy players and will be hard to knock off. You'd think they'd have 1st wrapped up

Great to see Coota doing so well!!

Sounds like the blues would hold their own in div2 next year?? How far off would they be getting 2 teams on the park??
Really pleasing to be pushing up the ladder this year and looking forward to our first finals series since 2011. Not sure how we would hold up in the Div 2 format in comparison to ANU and ADFA who have really found it tough this season after promotion. We would be a fair way off the mark getting two teams with some juniors travelling to Wagga to play and only helping out when required. It really depends on the crop of players switching football codes in the Coota precinct. I know Goulburn would ultimately like to field two sides as well but it all comes down to commitment from the playing squad

Seahawks, sorry I mean Ando, I think you should of chosen Nov's first advice about keeping it between you and those involved. I am not affiliated with any club but I'm sure Southcab and those at Yass would be stoked to see you on here carrying on. Anyway glad to have you back on here.

How bout we talk footy instead of this garbage. Having looked closely at Div 3 results it appears Coota are going about their business very quietly. Looked to have picked up a few handy players and will be hard to knock off. You'd think they'd have 1st wrapped up
We are fortunate to have such a passionate leader in Webby on board this year. Our undefeated record at home is pleasing with Yass and South Coast really serving it up to us. We have worked hard to reach top spot but we will be challenged in the coming weeks with sides in and around the top5 nipping at our heels. Starting with South Coast who are 2 ladder points behind 5th spot. With there Div 2 in second spot with the bye this week, I would suspect a few top end players to drop down and cause a few headaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Back