AFL Canberra - Division 3 & 4 - 2011 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

$65 for div 4 here. I guess that puts merit to the quote "pay peanuts get monkeys" !!!

wow are you serious? i thought it was double that. all for 3 hours of torment. all of a sudden my hat goes off to any umpires

South had Woden, Gungahlin, Cooma, Murrumbidgee, ANU and I think Tuggeranong (wearing their Cowboys jumpers).

Woden beat Gungahlin in the Grand Final.

F**k my memory is bad. Woden beat Murrumbidgee in 04, it was Gungahlin in 03.

3GM - what is the story with the huge redevelopment of Kippax? Will it be as impressive as the Leagues club next door?

Yeah mate, not sure where that may have come from but it certainly is not the case (from what i can tell!!). I have been around BMFC for about 10 years and we are as happy as ever.

Certainly does change pretty quickly around CDs level, and given the dynamic nature of Canberra employment it can be a bit of a lotto with recruiting, especially at amateur level!

There have been quite a few retirements like Axe (everyone here has probably noticed our forward line is a bit quieter!) Buzzy, Van Deimen, both ruckmen, and netto (more than 1000 games of experience with just those guys!!). The Rowe lads have moved to Sydney, Jezza to Melbs, a couple have gone to play NEAFL, and our rugby convert has gone back to rugby!

I know we are not the only club to go through such a large turn over, but we have had close to 20 guys play their first game in CD 1s this year already. How do other teams lists compare to 2010?

Wow, a lot of experience right there.

As for team list compared to last season, well Our Div 4 has changed a bit as has Div 3 but it was different in 2010 from 2009, all for obvious reasons.

Lists always change. I don't think many teams have had dramatic changes in the way Pies and Jets have in the last 2 years. Of course Hawks have a complete Div 4 side....

F**k my memory is bad. Woden beat Murrumbidgee in 04, it was Gungahlin in 03.

3GM - what is the story with the huge redevelopment of Kippax? Will it be as impressive as the Leagues club next door?

I'm not really involved with the club this year. But from what I understand the original design has been value-managed quite a bit to fit the available funding. I think the majority of the redevelopment will be for the oval itself (re-align, lengthen, re-sow, laser level surface etc). There'll obviously be sheds and coaches boxes etc but not to the scale that was originally planned. Will still be a great place to watch footy when it's complete so big thumbs up to Bubba and the rest of those involved in getting it off the ground. Lets just hope the club shares the love and everyone gets to play on it.

Whew - this is delving deep back into the memory banks as it was 2004 and I've forgotten a whole lot of important stuff since then...

The former competition powerhouses Kingston Wolves had merged into Eastlake to give Eastlake a Div 3 and 4 team

There were 7 teams in CD1's and 12 teams in CD2's.

It was decided to split the 12 into 2 divisions of 6 each.

South had Woden, Gungahlin, Cooma, Murrumbidgee, ANU and I think Tuggeranong (wearing their Cowboys jumpers).

North had Goulburn (premiers), Belconnen, ADFA, RMC, Eastlake and Yass. Goulburn won the Div 4 North premiership over Belconnen I believe.

In 2005, Woden were pushed up to CD1's, which also included Ainslie having a team for the first time. There were 10 teams in 1's and 11 in 2's.

Happy to be corrected if I have it all wrong though.

It got me thinking - since 97 when I started, we have had Yass, Goulburn and Coota come from interstate. RMC have come and gone. Kingston Wolves became Eastlake. ANU used to have a 3rds team which always got belted by a million. Have I missed any others?

2003 Woden beat the Jets in the GF, 2004 Woden beat Bidgee in the GF, Jets finished third.

Have seen a young Andrew Hoffman running around for Coota these days, There is not one full back in the league who can stop him when he is up and about. A colossous of a man, with an amazing set of hands, has been known to bomb the odd torp from within the centre square.

... has been known to bomb the odd torp from within the centre square.
No mean feat on the Coota postage stamp :D
Seriously though, the man has a fair bloody hoof on him!
And The Canberra Mercenaries are beginning to pay dividends for the Blues too.
Add that to the "home ground advantage" the men in orange and it makes the Coota roadtrip a pretty unpleasant prospect :(

Yeah umpiring is definitely harder than it looks. It took me a few games to really get the hang of it. Luckily I'm in a league with great umpires coaches and for some reason great money spent on us. I think the most important part of umpiring is protecting the players and i prefer to let the game flow as much as possible, as apposed to stopping at every 'maybe' free kick.

I think in the Div3/4 the money is around $100 a game, but i could be way off there. In my league it's twice that for seconds and i think (i don't check to be honest) around three times that for firsts. It's great money, but they expect a lot from you for that. You have to train, you have to take feedback and you have to commit to it.

I love it now and would really love to be able to come back and help by umpiring in Canberra (although people on this board might end up killing me if i did that! :D ) I get good flexibility in my current league because i travel a lot with my work. As long as i let them know my availability they are fine.

I hope you keep going with the umpiring! It's very rewarding in a lot of ways and you get to stay involved with the best game in the world!

Cheers mate, yeah iv umpired a couple of games now and even just things like getting into a better position are improving.
The money is not bad:D considering the level of playing up here (obviously afl is behind league etc like most of nsw, but its good to stay involved and it gives me an excuse to tell the missus that its work and I have to go, plus a couple of beers after!

We get 55 for 2's, 90 for 18's and 120 if there only 2 umps in 1's. It not bad money but they cop alot of abuse so numbers are bad!!!

Does anybody know who won between Belco and ADFA last night?.

ADFA got up by 14 points (i think)

Them 9.8.62
Us 6.12.48

quality game of footy, arm wrestle for most of the night, couple of late goals to ADFA sealed it. lights were not the brightest but i guess we both had to play under them. ADFA crowd - loud but definitely not offensive so well done, it made it a good atmosphere to play footy considering condtions were not perfect.

Have seen a young Andrew Hoffman running around for Coota these days, There is not one full back in the league who can stop him when he is up and about. A colossous of a man, with an amazing set of hands, has been known to bomb the odd torp from within the centre square.
Word out there is that they also have a guy on the books who has the brute strength of Courtney Johns, the versality of Kepler Bradley and the finesse of Mark Bolton, think he answers to the name of "JJ":D:D:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

does anyone know who won with belco and harman

Belco won 4s by 6 or 7 goals and Harman won the 3s by a similar margin. Belco kicked I think the last 4 goals of the game making the scoreline a bit more respectable.

wow belco got harman in 4's? thats huge

ANU lost to Eastlake by a couple of goals in the 3's yesterday.

ANU beat Tuggeranong by 9 goals today in the 4's.

how was the 4's game? massive effort considering tuggeranong looked to be very strong

how was the 4's game? massive effort considering tuggeranong looked to be very strong

Tight first half and then Tuggers seemed to run out of legs a bit.
They have a few really good players that only seemed interested in patches.
They'd be scarey good if they all gave a concerted effort for 100 minutes!
Sangston in the ruck was an interesting move. Man can jump!

Woden beat Bidgee in the GF at Football Park

Whew - this is delving deep back into the memory banks as it was 2004 and I've forgotten a whole lot of important stuff since then...

The former competition powerhouses Kingston Wolves had merged into Eastlake to give Eastlake a Div 3 and 4 team

There were 7 teams in CD1's and 12 teams in CD2's.

It was decided to split the 12 into 2 divisions of 6 each.

North had Goulburn (premiers), Belconnen, ADFA, RMC, Eastlake and Yass. Goulburn won the Div 4 North premiership over Belconnen I believe.

In 2005, Woden were pushed up to CD1's, which also included Ainslie having a team for the first time. There were 10 teams in 1's and 11 in 2's.

Happy to be corrected if I have it all wrong though.

It got me thinking - since 97 when I started, we have had Yass, Goulburn and Coota come from interstate. RMC have come and gone. Kingston Wolves became Eastlake. ANU used to have a 3rds team which always got belted by a million. Have I missed any others?

Great work by the ADFA boys at ANU yesterday beating 2 tough teams.
However, was very disappointed by jesus walking off after the 3's game and not shaking hands.

Great to hear the Jets Div 4 boys get a win up against Eastlake. :thumbsu:
Steve May playing 200 for the Jets, another fantastic effort, one of only a few.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back