AFL Canberra Season 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems like it's been settled that Coota and 2 others are going into Div 3.

Goulburn and Yass likely to go up I imagine despite their protests. My understanding from League HQ is that if they won't go up then they wont be registered in either grade. Basically the same ultimatum that ADFA and ANU copped before being shoved up a in 2014.

Fair enough as well...This is what should have happened last year instead of having 3 grades...2 Club teams get the 'match' day set up most weeks and can deal with it when they don't...Still a vast improvement on where it was 5 years ago...

Goulburn and Yass (Goulburn in particular) cry poor this time every year that they've had half their list retire yet the same old faces lob up and belt the lesser lights by 30 goals every other week...From what I've seen both sides would be competitive enough in Div 3...Perhaps not to win the GF but could easily play finals given the top 6 structure.

Plenty of teams start a season knowing they don't really have a chance to win a flag...Why should Goulburn be any different?
Finally some sense

Anyone seen the proposed fixture that's getting around?

Not sure about 4s playing finals at the home ground of the 3s teams, from what it looks like? What if Coota finish top 4 and get a home final? Also, 19 round comp with 5 byes for a 10 team league in 4s?

Anyone seen the proposed fixture that's getting around?

Not sure about 4s playing finals at the home ground of the 3s teams, from what it looks like? What if Coota finish top 4 and get a home final? Also, 19 round comp with 5 byes for a 10 team league in 4s?

Feel free to post a copy on here Motley. Arent there normally close to that many byes in div 4 anyway?

Feel free to post a copy on here Motley. Arent there normally close to that many byes in div 4 anyway?

Don't have it handy, unfortunately.

There is usually quite a few in div 4 yes, but just seemed a bit odd this time. ie think we had back to back byes in the middle of the year possibly?

Had Div 3 as ADFA, ANU, Ainslie, Batemans Bay, Cootamundra, Googong, Molonglo, UC, Woden and then an unidentified "Team 1" and "Team 2". Total 11 teams.

Div 4 was ADFA, ANU, Ainslie, Batemans Bay, Googong, Molonglo, UC, Woden and again the unidentified "Team 1" and "Team 2". Total 10 teams.

I suppose it will probably change 10 times from now still though.

It's a fantastic opportunity for whichever of the regional clubs that take it on. Ainslies 3rd grade relished the opportunity (acting as Ainslies 2nd grade in afl canberra) to take on Belconnen, Tuggeranong and Queanbeyans 2nd grade when these clubs folded from the Neafl. Our Third grade fell 35 odd points short of the GF and scoreboard aside looked better on the day. Playing higher levels of footy makes you be better. All the regional clubs have a proud history and would do themselves justice in terms of effort and intensity regardless of the result. Personally I would have preferred any of the regional sides as competition compared to what Gungahlin served up as a "2nd grade" side.

It's a fantastic opportunity for whichever of the regional clubs that take it on. Ainslies 3rd grade relished the opportunity (acting as Ainslies 2nd grade in afl canberra) to take on Belconnen, Tuggeranong and Queanbeyans 2nd grade when these clubs folded from the Neafl. Our Third grade fell 35 odd points short of the GF and scoreboard aside looked better on the day. Playing higher levels of footy makes you be better. All the regional clubs have a proud history and would do themselves justice in terms of effort and intensity regardless of the result. Personally I would have preferred any of the regional sides as competition compared to what Gungahlin served up as a "2nd grade" side.

Not sure about the Jab at Gunghalin mate, It was never a choice for them, theyre trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Possibly a cheeky Gungahlin jab :fire: but all the same, pride and intensity is what is required to step up a level which the regional sides have in abundance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Money might also assist....just a tad.
I suppose having money in the coffers would allow you to be able to entice a good player or 2... Although you'd also need to look at whether any of the other Div 3 clubs are paying blokes to gauge whether you need to match dollar for dollar...

I think that getting everyone to training week in week out is going to be the biggest key for the regional sides that step up to div 3. If you have 22 blokes that set the tone week in week out the fringe will develop.

We've focused incredibly hard at Ainslie of building a culture where we get large numbers of div 3 and 4 to training both nights each week.
In the process over the last 3-4 years a lot of Division 4 players have turned into very good 3s and sometimes 2s players. Ainslie 3s and 4s don't play for a cent and get good results. We just love footy and our mates. The regional sides epitomise that equally if not better so I think you will be fine cash or no cash. You've got good players regardless.

I suppose having money in the coffers would allow you to be able to entice a good player or 2... Although you'd also need to look at whether any of the other Div 3 clubs are paying blokes to gauge whether you need to match dollar for dollar...

I think that getting everyone to training week in week out is going to be the biggest key for the regional sides that step up to div 3. If you have 22 blokes that set the tone week in week out the fringe will develop.

We've focused incredibly hard at Ainslie of building a culture where we get large numbers of div 3 and 4 to training both nights each week.
In the process over the last 3-4 years a lot of Division 4 players have turned into very good 3s and sometimes 2s players. Ainslie 3s and 4s don't play for a cent and get good results. We just love footy and our mates. The regional sides epitomise that equally if not better so I think you will be fine cash or no cash. You've got good players regardless.
Very well said mate.

I was referring to their 1st Grade side.

Surely they require assistance financially considering they have no licensed club.

Well you've just shown yourself to be a real tosser straight up. First you say how clubs should make the jump up the divisions and then you have a swipe at the only club that has the guts to actually do exactly what you are suggesting the other clubs do.

How are the jets shaping up this year?
Jets are tracking well for their second year in the top division. We've been able to recruit some quality players and with our youth coming through we are expecting to put in a lot more quality performances this year in both grades which will hopefully result in a lot more wins.

Well you've just shown yourself to be a real tosser straight up. First you say how clubs should make the jump up the divisions and then you have a swipe at the only club that has the guts to actually do exactly what you are suggesting the other clubs do.

Hear, Hear.

I'm sure they did but it would not be a huge amount
They got a $450k grant from the ACT government last year...That would run most other clubs for 5 years but apparently they blew it all up on the rooms at Amaroo where they no longer play...Solid investment.

They got a $450k grant from the ACT government last year...That would run most other clubs for 5 years but apparently they blew it all up on the rooms at Amaroo where they no longer play...Solid investment.

Ainslie, Belconnen would not run for 5 years on $450K...again referring to top grade..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back