Roast AFL need to change the draft system next season for bottom four clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you genuinely believe this?

The reasoning you've offered is incredibly flimsy as well. Sheezel and Wardlaw did nothing to improve North this season because they're still just kids.

What an incredibly flimsy argument.

Of course Sheezel improved us, he's going to win the B&F. By virtue of this, he had the single biggest impact of anyone at North over the entire season.

Multitude of factors have played out for this being a s**t year, rather Sheezel and Wardlaw.

Losing LDU so early in the season after he delivered back to back BOG's didn't help.

Losing Logue, Zurhaar, Comben for massive sections of the year didn't help.

Losing our senior coach to another clubs racism investigation didn't help.

Older players have naturally dropped off, which happens.

Most are still absolutely bullish on what we have coming through despite the year (for good reason).

This seems to grate some, particularly Hawthorn fans for some reason.

Last edited:
What an incredibly flimsy argument.

Of course Sheezel improved us, he's going to win the B&F.

Multitude of factors have played out for this being a s**t year, rather Sheezel and Wardlaw.

Losing LDU so early in the season after he delivered back to back BOG's didn't help.

Losing Logue, Zurhaar, Comben for massive sections of the year didn't help.

Losing our coach to another clubs racism investigation didn't help.

Older players have naturally dropped off, which happens.

Most are still absolutely bullish on what we have coming through despite the year (for good reason).

This seems to grate some, particularly Hawthorn fans for some reason.

But are you actually confident of rising above Hawthorn, Essendon, Fremantle and Richmond next season? That's the comment I was quoting.

Do you know how much sudden improvement that's going to take?

Fremantle and Hawthorn in particular have stronger list demographics from a developmental perspective, so both will need to regress next season (unlikely) or North will suddenly need to a win a minimum of 10 games despite having won 11 in the past 4 years.

Like... it isn't impossible, but it's definitely not probable.

But are you actually confident of rising above Hawthorn, Essendon, Fremantle and Richmond next season? That's the comment I was quoting.

Do you know how much sudden improvement that's going to take?

Fremantle and Hawthorn in particular have stronger list demographics from a developmental perspective, so both will need to regress next season (unlikely) or North will suddenly need to a win a minimum of 10 games despite having won 11 in the past 4 years.

Like... it isn't impossible, but it's definitely not probable.

Im not going to bother predicting anything tbh, you have as much knowledge of what's going to happen as anyone else. Nothing.

Hawthorn were favorites for the spoon this time last year.

3 years ago Collingwood were predicted to be spending the next 5-6 years on the bottom of the ladder.

Things change. The comments from most Hawks fans seem to insinuate North will be bottom until the end of time, which is quite ridiculous.

Like Melbourne, raw talent (as a minimum) will eventually drag us up the ladder fairly quickly, when that begins to happen? I don't know, but it's closer than what it was 2 years ago.

They will all be kids, but we are going to have a talent influx not unlike the expansion sides next year when you add full seasons from Wardlaw and Brayden George to what our draft hand is likely going to be.

It will turn eventually. It could be next year....

there's usually bugger all difference between pick 1 and 2.
and even if pick 1 is an absolute standout, that doesn't necessarily translate to them being the best player in the top 5 a few years down the track.

sure, there's a big difference between pick 1 and 18. but if you're getting anything in the top 5 you should pretty reliably be getting a gun.

So Melbourne trade a 20 year old budding superstar, and it's not fair that they may get a speculative low pick for him?

West Coast supporters are just bizarre.
Pick 4, plus the other picks, aren't speculative as it = about 1 and 40 for Jackson which is a great result for the Dees.

I was merely highlighting a major flaw to the person I was responding to if you implement a lottery system with our draft.

Melbourne supporters are just bizarre.:rolleyes:

Pick 4, plus the other picks, aren't speculative as it = about 1 and 40 for Jackson which is a great result for the Dees.

I was merely highlighting a major flaw to the person I was responding to if you implement a lottery system with our draft.

Melbourne supporters are just bizarre.:rolleyes:
How is Melbourne losing a likely top ten AFL player of the next decade for two speculative low draft picks a flawed system??

Melbourne have received serious unders for Jackson.

I really hope you are drunk posting, otherwise you may need to go get some help.

How is Melbourne losing a likely top ten AFL player of the next decade for two speculative low draft picks a flawed system??

Melbourne have received serious unders for Jackson.

I really hope you are drunk posting, otherwise you may need to go get some help.
I like Jackson, but you are straight up having a lend here with your top 10 Mayo. Your club alone has four players who are clearly better than Jackson by a staggering degree. And they all will be better than him for the best part of half a decade at least.

Lotto system might not be the best option but AFL does need to do something about the draft. Bottom 4 is meant to be rebuilding clubs and they can't rebuild with so much compromised in the top end of the draft

I would like AFL to do at the very least remove all academy and father son restrictions from the top 4 or better yet the top 10. So players like Jed Walters Ashcroft Diacos over the last few years would go to other clubs if they are touted as a top 10 player.

Any club inside the top 10 is able to pick any single player they want including father sons and academy players without no more comprised restrictions in place.
After top 10 ten it goes back to academy father son restricted club picks if no clubs has selected them in the top 10. Also Compo pick can eat a dick. No Compo for top 10 picks.

Compo picks can only be given with picks outside the top 10 regardless.
Ben McKay this season has proved how flawed compo in the draft is. Can't have that going forward at all. Biggest joke in the draft right now is that.

Last edited:
42 years is largely irrelevant to the last 5 years.

Whilst the #1 pick might not be the best player of even the last 5 drafts, the top 10's are infinitely better than even 10 years ago.

Last year being the best example, last year looks to have been absolutely nailed by recruiters.
What? Top tens are infinitely better now than ten years ago?? You might want to go check the 2012 and 2103 drafts before just making s**t up.

You keep getting excited over those magic beans. I did it for a decade at Melbourne - spoiler alert, it's not going to make a difference.

As long as North Melbourne are a s**t show off field they are going to continue to fail.

The worst thing to ever happen was James Brayshaw coming into the club on a promise of "white Knights" saving the club - he didn't have anyone lined up, just assumed it would happen, and the idiot supporters bought it. Now years later North are as bad as they have ever been.

I saw the same thing with Melbourne when Stynes came in. No idea how to run a club, just a great salesman with a big heart. He nearly killed the club - the AFL stepped in and put people in place to turn it around.

Until North have competent people running the club they are in a world of hurt. The AFL need to forget about extra picks wasted on a poorly run club, and take it over like they did Melbourne. Clear out the liniment sniffers and appoint decent management, that's the only way to fix North.

I like Jackson, but you are straight up having a lend here with your top 10 Mayo. Your club alone has four players who are clearly better than Jackson by a staggering degree. And they all will be better than him for the best part of half a decade at least.
List the four Melbourne Players that will be better than Jackson over the next ten years.

Oliver (26) and Patracca (27) are currently top 5 players in the AFL. Probably have 5 years at the top, so not really considered to be top ten players over the next ten years.

Who else? It can't be these two

Gawn is 31 years old
May is 31 years old.

Who are the four? Do you really rate Rivers and McVee that high? Or did you just f#ck up s**t posting?

List the four Melbourne Players that will be better than Jackson over the next ten years.

Oliver (26) and Patracca (27) are currently top 5 players in the AFL. Probably have 5 years at the top, so not really considered to be top ten players over the next ten years.

Who else? It can't be these two

Gawn is 31 years old
May is 31 years old.

Who are the four? Do you really rate Rivers and McVee that high? Or did you just f#ck up s**t posting?
I thought may was a bit younger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What? Top tens are infinitely better now than ten years ago?? You might want to go check the 2012 and 2103 drafts before just making s**t up.

You keep getting excited over those magic beans. I did it for a decade at Melbourne - spoiler alert, it's not going to make a difference.

As long as North Melbourne are a s**t show off field they are going to continue to fail.

The worst thing to ever happen was James Brayshaw coming into the club on a promise of "white Knights" saving the club - he didn't have anyone lined up, just assumed it would happen, and the idiot supporters bought it. Now years later North are as bad as they have ever been.

I saw the same thing with Melbourne when Stynes came in. No idea how to run a club, just a great salesman with a big heart. He nearly killed the club - the AFL stepped in and put people in place to turn it around.

Until North have competent people running the club they are in a world of hurt. The AFL need to forget about extra picks wasted on a poorly run club, and take it over like they did Melbourne. Clear out the liniment sniffers and appoint decent management, that's the only way to fix North.

What a literal nonsense post. You talk about North being "as bad as they have ever been" off field, but do so by comparing North's current debt-free situation to a time when we were $10,000,000 in debt.

You also try to talk about James Brayshaw failing at saving at North - ignoring that he was instrumental to North staying in Melbourne in the face of what most members of the media and public deemed certain relocation.

It's almost like you're being wrong on purpose lol

What a literal nonsense post. You talk about North being "as bad as they have ever been" off field, but do so by comparing North's current debt-free situation to a time when we were $10,000,000 in debt.

You also try to talk about James Brayshaw failing at saving at North - ignoring that he was instrumental to North staying in Melbourne in the face of what most members of the media and public deemed certain relocation.

It's almost like you're being wrong on purpose lol
Just like Jim Stynes was lauded for saving Melbourne - only for them to be on the brink a few years later. - North Melbourne are at the lowest point in their history. They are 25 years past having a decent side, their list is a mess and off field they are rudderless. I watched Melbourne liniment sniffers ignore the obvious as the club headed towards death.

North need AFL intervention now, a couple of extra draft picks isn't going to fix it. Get the liniment sniffers out, get people who can fix the club in.

I thought may was a bit younger.
And Gawn - how old did you think he was???

You say you got May wrong, how about the other three? Will you name them like I asked? Which 4 Melbourne players will be better over the next ten years than Luke Jackson????

You probably need to post a quick apology and do a backflip on your earlier post, otherwise you are just speaking s**t..

And Gawn - how old did you think he was???

You say you got May wrong, how about the other three? Will you name them like I asked? Which 4 Melbourne players will be better over the next ten years than Luke Jackson????

You probably need to post a quick apology and do a backflip on your earlier post, otherwise you are just speaking s**t..
I didn't mean gawn. I meant kozi.

I am confident North will not be bottom four next year.

You can decide who will be bottom four in our stead, but for my money it'll be Freo, Hawthorn, West Coast, and Gold Coast.

Draft lottery works in NBA with 5 starters on a team - but it doesn't stop tanking.

AFL needs to have reverse draft order to ensure one of the key planks of equalisation. Get rid of father/sons, academies, NGAs etc and there would be minimal difference between pick 1 and 2 anyway.

I am confident North will not be bottom four next year.

You can decide who will be bottom four in our stead, but for my money it'll be Freo, Hawthorn, West Coast, and Gold Coast.

I would have Richmond and Essendon in place of Gold Coast and Fremantle

I would have Richmond and Essendon in place of Gold Coast and Fremantle
Not unreasonable.

From experience, I don't think Brad Scott teams ever properly bottom out though.

Richmond certainly possible in year 1 with a new coach, especially if Dusty leaves as expected.

Not unreasonable.

From experience, I don't think Brad Scott teams ever properly bottom out though.

Richmond certainly possible in year 1 with a new coach, especially if Dusty leaves as expected.

Essendon will lose Parish and probably get a harder draw next year (they played the Eagles and your lot twice both)

They have a mediocre list, destined for mediocre seasons until they have the guts to rip the band aid off and get rid of Dodoro and most of their recruiting staff.

Essendon will lose Parish and probably get a harder draw next year (they played the Eagles and your lot twice both)

They have a mediocre list, destined for mediocre seasons until they have the guts to rip the band aid off and get rid of Dodoro and most of their recruiting staff.
I think it depends on what assistance North get. Assuming they don't get a pick 1 priority pick, I fully expect them to come 18th in 2024 and demand one.

And all the NM fans will be in this thread saying they have never recieved a pick 1 PP before.

I think it depends on what assistance North get. Assuming they don't get a pick 1 priority pick, I fully expect them to come 18th in 2024 and demand one.

And all the NM fans will be in this thread saying they have never recieved a pick 1 PP before.

You expect NMFC to finish dead last again next year?

Surely if that's true, you wouldn't be opposed to strong draft assistance this year?

You expect NMFC to finish dead last again next year?

Surely if that's true, you wouldn't be opposed to strong draft assistance this year?
Did you read my post? I only expect them to come last until they get pick 1 PP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back