Roast AFL need to change the draft system next season for bottom four clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Everything about the AFL ‘industry‘ is dodgy and convoluted. From the draft, to the rules on the run, to the fixture, to the many conflicts of interests in the ‘boys club’ inner sanctum. The AFL simply takes advantage of emotional attachment fans have to their club and does whatever it sees fit, bullshits to us, to keep the cash rolling in. We have been rubbish now for the 4th year in a row with no real light at the end of the tunnel. If the AFL can’t give North a hand in its current state then what’s the point in having draft assistance rules?

Someone else posted a really good idea.

Play every team once in the first 17 rounds. Wherever you land, that’s the draft order. Then play the double up games, and while that effects the ladder, the draft order is set.

Much less likely for teams to tank when there’s over 1/4 of the season still to go.

18th and 17th need to trade their top picks for 2x top 10 mids and kick start their rebuilds. Top picks do not want to play for terrible clubs.

Someone else posted a really good idea.

Play every team once in the first 17 rounds. Wherever you land, that’s the draft order. Then play the double up games, and while that effects the ladder, the draft order is set.

Much less likely for teams to tank when there’s over 1/4 of the season still to go.

... I don't hate this.

(But I also don't think tanking has been a real issue since the Kreuzer cup).

I am confident North will not be bottom four next year.

You can decide who will be bottom four in our stead, but for my money it'll be Freo, Hawthorn, West Coast, and Gold Coast.

I have no idea what you are basing this on, other than wishful thinking.
I'll be stunned if Freo, Hawthorn and the Suns are bottom 4 next year.
Likewise if North suddenly jump above all of them.

Please don't spend actual money on this bet, is all I'll say.

I have no idea what you are basing this on, other than wishful thinking.
I'd say the same to Hawks fans who think they won't be bottom 4 next year.

Everything about the AFL ‘industry‘ is dodgy and convoluted. From the draft, to the rules on the run, to the fixture, to the many conflicts of interests in the ‘boys club’ inner sanctum. The AFL simply takes advantage of emotional attachment fans have to their club and does whatever it sees fit, bullshits to us, to keep the cash rolling in. We have been rubbish now for the 4th year in a row with no real light at the end of the tunnel. If the AFL can’t give North a hand in its current state then what’s the point in having draft assistance rules?
Any fair minded person can see NM need help. The debate is what form that help should take.

Beating both the top 2 teams and losing so many games by under a goal whilst having the youngest midfield in memory is the reason.

I am not sold though. I think we will be around 14th or 15th again next year (so maybe not bottom 4, but not by enough to matter).

We could stagnate with a young list hitting the wall, but I'm basing this on statistics and history.

We've won 7 games this season (same as 2021).
We won 8 last year and could end up with 8 again after the weekend.
We didn't finish in the bottom 4 in the seasons with 7 and 8 wins.
This year is an anomaly due to a very even grouping between 5th and 15th.

So even if we stagnated next year, historically we'd likely be finishing higher than the bottom 4.

Now statistically, Champion Data rate our current form as that of a side in a Premiership window.
We're 6-7 since round 10, showing that our improvement has come as the team has learnt to play and gel with one another.

Considering all of this, we'd need to defy some history and have a serious regression next year to be worse than our 2023 season.

Can you understand why Hawks fans believe we won't be bottom 4 next year?

I hope North sort themselves out, but a sharp ascent next year would certainly come as a surprise to most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back