Next First Round Draft pick to request a trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Anynameyouwish

Debutant
May 19, 2023
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Over the following recent years, the following draftees have requested and been granted a trade prior to achieving free agency status:

2023:

2022:

2021: Jason Horne-Francis (1)

2020: Elijah hollands (7), Tanner Bruhn (12), Oliver Henry (17)

2019: Luke Jackson (3), Dyklan Stevens (5), Liam Henry (9), Cooper Stevens (16)

2018: Izak Rankine (3), Jye Cadwell (11), Jackson Lately (14), Jordan Clark (15), Xavier Duursma (18), Liam Stoker (19)

2017: Paddy Dow (3), Adam Cerra (5), Nick Coffield (8), Aiden Bonar (11), Jarrod Brander (13), Jack Higgins (17)

2016: Tim Taranto (2), Will Setterfield (5), Sam Petrevski-Seton (6), Jack Scrimshaw (7), Griifin Logue (8), Will Brodie (9),

2015: Josh Schache (2), Aaron Francis (6), Jacob Hopper (7)

2014: Jarrod Pickett (4), Caleb Marchbank (6), Paul Ahern (7), Peter Wright (8), Corey Ellis (12), Lachie Weller (13), Jake Lever (14), Nakia Cockatoo (15)

I think the next first round pick to request a trade will be 2020 draft pick 13 Tom Powell.

Last edited:

This is purely speculative on my behalf, but Jedd Busslinger at the Bulldogs might be a candidate to return home after his initial contract. WA boy, pick 13 last year, a tall defender who's had some injury issues and unable to break through for a debut as yet.

I obviously would hope not particularly given his position and what the Bulldogs need.

Over the following recent years, the following draftees have requested and been granted a trade prior to achieving free agency status:

2023:

2022:

2021: Jason Horne-Francis (1)

2020: Elijah hollands (7), Tanner Bruhn (12), Oliver Henry (17)

2019: Luke Jackson (3), Dyklan Stevens (5), Liam Henry (9), Cooper Stevens (16)

2018: Izak Rankine (3), Jye Cadwell (11), Jackson Lately (14), Jordan Clark (15), Xavier Duursma (18), Liam Stoker (19)

2017: Paddy Dow (3), Adam Cerra (5), Nick Coffield (8), Aiden Bonar (11), Jarrod Brander (13), Jack Higgins (17)

2016: Tim Taranto (2), Will Setterfield (5), Sam Petrevski-Seton (6), Jack Scrimshaw (7), Griifin Logue (8), Will Brodie (9),

2015: Josh Schache (2), Aaron Francis (6)

2014: Jarrod Pickett (4), Caleb Marchbank (6), Paul Ahern (7), Peter Wright (8), Corey Ellis (12), Lachie Weller (13), Jake Lever (14)

I think the next first round pick to request a trade will be 2020 draft pick 13 Tom Powell.

To be added to the list:

2016, Jack Bowes (Pick 10)
2015, Jacob Hopper (Pick 7)
2014, Nakia Cockatoo (Pick 10)

Reckon all of Dan Curtin, Tom Powell, Aaron Cadman, are a chance - off the top of my head.

Last edited:
To be added to the list:

2016, Jack Bowes (Pick 10)
2015, Jacob Hopper (Pick 7)
2014, Nakia Cockatoo (Pick 10)

Reckon all of Dan Curtin, Tom Powell, Aaron Cadman, are a chance - off the top of my head.
Thank you.

Hopper did request a trade and I Have updated the OP.

I think Bowes was put up for a trade by the Suns and Nakia I was unsure of but have updated with your info.

2020: Bit of a mess of a draft. Where to start???

Reports are the Swans will offer JUH the farm if he wants it. Probably can't afford to keep Logan if that's the case, so he might cut and run to Freo or the Eagles (or even the Dogs?).

DGB really hasn't worked out so far. Neither has Zach Reid due to injuries and Nik Cox has now had a derailed 2 years.

North keep drafting upgrades for Will Phillips and Tom Powell. One of them should already be at a new club IMO.

I've heard a few Max Holmes rumours but I don't believe them.

I think Conor Stone works out but the Giants generally know when to fold them when it's not going well and there's always Vic interest. Ryan Angwin similar but I'm not even sure he'll make it.

And in the not actually but technically first round picks Bailey Laurie, Brayden Cook, Matt Allison and Reef McInness all need to get and take opportunities. Blake Coleman has already been delisted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2021: A far far more settled draft apart from JHF.

Leek Aleer is contracted for one more year but if he's stuck behind gun defenders he probably looks to move if there's interest

Same goes for Gus Sheldrick and Josh Sinn who are stuck at really strong teams.

2022:
Really early for these guys. Easiest guide is guys who haven't signed a deal who have moved states: Cadman, Phillipou, Busslinger Konstanty.

I reckon they'll all sign up pretty soon but there's no doubt the offers will be coming hard for Cadman and probably Phillipou as well.

For the mids, Philips, Powell and Macrae would be names that other clubs would be looking at targeting at the end of next year.

For talls, DGB, MacDonald and Cadman would be the ones that will be getting big attention.

Reading between the lines I surmise Logan will leave at the end of next season and request a trade to freo, hence all their future firsts.

Dont blame him, reckon being snubbed for the grand final last year still stings. He would cost us our first rounder minimum which will be top 3, would rather draft best mid next draft and focus on forwards/defenders with lesser picks.

Josh Sinn who are stuck at really strong teams.

Sinn isn’t stuck at a strong team. He’s basically been injured since his u16s year.

Unpopular amongst many Port fans but if he can’t get his body right to start next year strong then you may as well put a line through him IMO.

One flying under the radar, Cadman who will be getting offers from some of the big Melbourne clubs and might have to wait a while to get consistent games at GWS.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wouldn't have thought so

He will sign up at GWS before the season starts, I am confident of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back