News AFL to overhaul draft on father-sons, academy picks

Remove this Banner Ad

What motivation would they have to put in the kind of effort they do if they don't get something out of it?

1. As I explained port and the crows do the effort without the motivation of gaining priority access to players

2. As I also mentioned earlier that doesn’t mean priority access is necessary to grow the game.

You’re arguing it’s necessary for the teams to give a * about their own backyard.

- teams want priority access for their own selfish reasons ie access to players

- fans want their clubs to have access for their own selfish reasons

- I want non-trad states to have priority access because without it they would struggle to be competitive, and I want them to be competitive because a league where they’re all just filler for the vfl isn’t appealing to me.

They don't do a fraction of what the academies do.

1. I think that’s an exaggeration.

There’s nothing to suggest that the players going through our academies are receiving much less access to coaching and training than the players going through gcs academy.

And even then..

2. If port and the crows academies and support to the sanfl isn’t “doing a fraction” of the non-trad states, Sa’s draft contribution is below expectations as a trad football state and port and the crows balance of home v interstate players is similar to the non-trad state are you not making a compelling case for port and crows to have the exact same concessions gcs have?

Don’t we then need to “grow the game” in SA?

3. You’re still basing your position on a flawed premise.

While they are at it though remove this "compensation" for Free Agency. No system where it's BETTER to send players to other clubs is a good system. Don't pretend North weren't pushing McKay out the door to get a free top 5 pick. Fix everything don't do this half way.
If they’re going to have Compo is should be directly linked to the offer the club that is losing the player has made.

Clubs not offering anything substantial so that a player leaves, then pocketing a pick, is completely broken.

If they’re going to have Compo is should be directly linked to the offer the club that is losing the player has made.

Clubs not offering anything substantial so that a player leaves, then pocketing a pick, is completely broken.

Yeah I like that idea actually put the comp attached to the relative offers. Good idea. A system where it’s “good” to let players go to pocket picks is ridiculous

how predictable was it that after being screwed over with Mac Andrew and then having 1 father son in 25 years the afl will think about changing the rules just after the lions, dogs and gold coast have benefited. Such an unfair league. Just when the dees finally have a genuine f/s coming through.

That’s even worse than the current system and completely open to manipulation.

North , knowing Mackay is going out the door can make him an offer to trigger whatever band they want knowing he’s going to leave anyway, and even if he did take it a club like north could cop it.

Amons leaving port for hawks, we got band 3, I don’t think there would have been that much between what he got and the minimum to get band 2. Having the choice port could have offered band 2 money get pick 19, knowing he’s leaving anyway, and worst case he took it up and we’ve kept a good player and that wouldn’t have bankrupted us.

It’s so open to manipulation

how predictable was it that after being screwed over with Mac Andrew and then having 1 father son in 25 years the afl will think about changing the rules just after the lions, dogs and gold coast have benefited. Such an unfair league. Just when the dees finally have a genuine f/s coming through.
I notice you didn't mention Collingwood who just won the flag with three father-son AA players as well as a top 10 NGA pick. Any particular reason or it just slipped your mind?

I assume you're referring to Broadbeach junior and Gold Coast academy member Kalani White. Seems a little hypocritical to call a system unfair when you're wanting exclusive access to a player that's been developed by another club for six years... but each to their own. In all likelihood these proposed changes are going to result in the Suns not having access to White which means he should be free for the Dees to pick up even if the Suns do want him. You'll just have to make sure you have the points/picks required to match a bid.

I notice you didn't mention Collingwood who just won the flag with three father-son AA players as well as a top 10 NGA pick. Any particular reason or it just slipped your mind?

I assume you're referring to Broadbeach junior and Gold Coast academy member Kalani White. Seems a little hypocritical to call a system unfair when you're wanting exclusive access to a player that's been developed by another club for six years... but each to their own. In all likelihood these proposed changes are going to result in the Suns not having access to White which means he should be free for the Dees to pick up even if the Suns do want him. You'll just have to make sure you have the points/picks required to match a bid.
Nah, just left it out. The pies flag has a massive asterisk. Probably a bottom 6 team without those 4 players.

Regarding Kalani White, yes it's unfair but when my club has been consistently burnt by the afl and other clubs have been consistently gifted by the afl then it is fair for us to get Kalani White and probably about 5 other players to make up for the last 20 years of being shafted. But that's the thing, the dees will get kalani White but they'll change the rules meaning we'll have to give up just compensation instead of the ridiculous system that's happening at the moment. This further bridges the gap between the gifted teams and the shafted teams. How are the shafted clubs going to catch up to the kissed clubs if they change the rules now? They won't.

Nah, just left it out. The pies flag has a massive asterisk. Probably a bottom 6 team without those 4 players.

Regarding Kalani White, yes it's unfair but when my club has been consistently burnt by the afl and other clubs have been consistently gifted by the afl then it is fair for us to get Kalani White and probably about 5 other players to make up for the last 20 years of being shafted. But that's the thing, the dees will get kalani White but they'll change the rules meaning we'll have to give up just compensation instead of the ridiculous system that's happening at the moment. This further bridges the gap between the gifted teams and the shafted teams. How are the shafted clubs going to catch up to the kissed clubs if they change the rules now? They won't.
the last 20 years of being shafted?

your club is as synonymous with afl hand outs as north melbourne

Yeah you can’t expect people to not laugh at you suggesting that the afl is out to screw melb, or that they’ve had a rough trot when you’ve received a bunch of priority picks , picks that plenty of clubs have never received for their s**t years, have been heavily financially supported and then had you hands held back to relevance as they walked a premier coach to your doorstep and paid for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s even worse than the current system and completely open to manipulation.

North , knowing Mackay is going out the door can make him an offer to trigger whatever band they want knowing he’s going to leave anyway, and even if he did take it a club like north could cop it.

Amons leaving port for hawks, we got band 3, I don’t think there would have been that much between what he got and the minimum to get band 2. Having the choice port could have offered band 2 money get pick 19, knowing he’s leaving anyway, and worst case he took it up and we’ve kept a good player and that wouldn’t have bankrupted us.

It’s so open to manipulation
I don’t really see the issue; player is likely to stay if cash is similar which means no compo and the eventually you blow up your salary cap.. or you don’t get to put in a bid that gets you good compo (though to cover the rare situation where a player is walking for less money, make compo tied to the lower of the 2 offers)

Ask yourself - why are Demons players such ordinary footballing parents?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back