Roast Do all the Next Generation Academies exist?

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if some Clubs have been a little cynical about NGAs, they remain a great idea for involving kids from different backgrounds who might otherwise miss out having a connection with footy.

I expect most Clubs picked up running their NGAs immediately following the end of the Covid lockdown period. I am curious to learn if this is the case. It seems nmfc has only just recently restarted their NGA. This did not stop their risible claim on Riley Sanders that the AFL rightly kicked to the kerb.

Running the Northern Academies is not cheap and I expect it is also expensive for Clubs running NGAs.

Do not know if it is compulsory for Clubs to run NGAs or simply an expectation that most Clubs happily meet. Nonetheless, AFL payments to Clubs are probably the main source of funding. Arguably any Clubs like nmfc have enjoyed a saving from not running their NGAs for two years after Shutdowns ended.

Should their AFL subsidies be reduced on a one off basis to account for the unearned savings when other Clubs have done the right thing?

Anyways credit to nmfc in restarting their Academy. Heaps of youngsters stand to benefit.

So what is the status of NGAs run by your Club?

The AFL ruled that Connor Idun was ineligible to be part of our 'academy' due to one of his parents or something, and back in 2020 Wells and Matthew Stokes were talking about how Ugle-Hagan was part of the Cats indigenous pathway since 2012~ and had been putting a truck load of work into him and then the AFL give the Warrnambool zone to Footscray so they grab him for free.

Whole thing seems like a bit of a sham so I have no clue what's up with ours these days.

12 minute mark.

Last edited:
The AFL ruled that Connor Idun was ineligible to be part of our 'academy' due to one of his parents or something, and back in 2020 Wells and Matthew Stokes were talking about how Ugle-Hagan was part of the Cats indigenous pathway since 2012~ and had been putting a truck load of work into him and then the AFL give the Warrnambool zone to Footscray so they grab him for free.

Whole thing seems like a bit of a sham so I have no clue what's up with ours these days.

12 minute mark.

Ugle-Hagan was 13 years old when the current NGA zones were drawn up and Warnambool was assigned to the Bulldogs (early 2016). Stokes himself said he'd been through Geelong's indigenous programs "since he was about 12", so they feel entitled to him given all of the work they allegedly would have done for 1-2 years on a 12 year old?

Ugle-Hagan was 13 years old when the current NGA zones were drawn up and Warnambool was assigned to the Bulldogs (early 2016). Stokes himself said he'd been through Geelong's indigenous programs "since he was about 12", so they feel entitled to him given all of the work they allegedly would have done for 1-2 years on a 12 year old?
Sounds like we did a lot more for Warrnambool than anyone else only to see it giftwrapped to another team. I don't follow other teams closely enough but Geelong has always been close-knit with coastal towns in SW Victoria and from what's been said in the past far more than what places like Footscray and other inner-city Melbourne clubs had been putting in to those areas. AFL and dodgy zones is nothing new - this just screams another attempted equalisation for equlisation's sake.

Last edited:
Yeah it is a bit hard to find information on what they are up to but there was an u15s NGA Eastern tournament earlier this year between Melbourne, Hawthorn, Richmond and Essendon.

I'm guessing there were other comps as well.

Yeah it is a bit hard to find information on what they are up to but there was an u15s NGA Eastern tournament earlier this year between Melbourne, Hawthorn, Richmond and Essendon.

I'm guessing there were other comps as well.

That is great. The Saints seem to treat their NGA seriously and have the occasional interesting and positive story on their site.

Even if some Clubs have been a little cynical about NGAs, they remain a great idea for involving kids from different backgrounds who might otherwise miss out having a connection with footy.

I expect most Clubs picked up running their NGAs immediately following the end of the Covid lockdown period. I am curious to learn if this is the case. It seems nmfc has only just recently restarted their NGA. This did not stop their risible claim on Riley Sanders that the AFL rightly kicked to the kerb.

Running the Northern Academies is not cheap and I expect it is also expensive for Clubs running NGAs.

Do not know if it is compulsory for Clubs to run NGAs or simply an expectation that most Clubs happily meet. Nonetheless, AFL payments to Clubs are probably the main source of funding. Arguably any Clubs like nmfc have enjoyed a saving from not running their NGAs for two years after Shutdowns ended.

Should their AFL subsidies be reduced on a one off basis to account for the unearned savings when other Clubs have done the right thing?

Anyways credit to nmfc in restarting their Academy. Heaps of youngsters stand to benefit.

So what is the status of NGAs run by your Club?

Who pays for the Northern Academies?

And NGA academies?

Sponsors $$$$ outside the soft cap.

People need to acknowledge that clubs may provide access to existing facilities and some staff but the direct costs to clubs is not huge and outside the soft cap and covered by sponsorship dollars.

It seems nmfc has only just recently restarted their NGA. This did not stop their risible claim on Riley Sanders that the AFL rightly kicked to the kerb.
No Way Blacklist GIF by NBC

Lol. I love a great fact check.

12 minute mark.

Thanks for Seek, he showed this year he has more growth in him and will be a gun defender

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol. I love a great fact check.
I always thought that Geelong were also stiff to not have exclusive draft access to both Luke Hodge and Jonathon Brown on account of sending a couple of rookie listed players for their annual Warnambool and Colac Primary school clinics back in the day. Putting in that level of work on them deserved to be rewarded.

I always thought that Geelong were also stiff to not have exclusive draft access to both Luke Hodge and Jonathon Brown on account of sending a couple of rookie listed players for their annual Warnambool and Colac Primary school clinics back in the day. Putting in that level of work on them deserved to be rewarded.
No one's suggesting that, but setting up these zones and then allocating the suburbs of south west Vic to an inner city Melbourne club who got bullied out of the city is a little bit of a farce, especially so when a club was already working in those areas prior to there being tangible benefits, unless of course we just believe Stokes was lying because why not?

zone.jpg

Saw that Luke Hodge’s eldest was potentially available to Brisbane via their Academy.

Thank god these fringe talents aren’t being lost to Rugby League in the Northern States. ☺️

No one's suggesting that, but setting up these zones and then allocating the suburbs of south west Vic to an inner city Melbourne club who got bullied out of the city is a little bit of a farce, especially so when a club was already working in those areas prior to there being tangible benefits, unless of course we just believe Stokes was lying because why not?

View attachment 1842433
So give Geelong all of western Victoria? What exactly were they doing in Warnambool and other areas, at a time when academies weren't even a thing, that gave them a right to retain it as an NGA zone? I imagine the population of the zone Geelong received far exceeds that of the Bulldogs in this image.

Stokes to me appeared to midrepresent about the amount of work really they'd done with Ugle-Hagan, for the reasons I mentioned earlier in this thread. Not sure why he did 🤷‍♂️

So give Geelong all of western Victoria? What exactly were they doing in Warnambool and other areas, at a time when academies weren't even a thing, that gave them a right to retain it as an NGA zone? I imagine the population of the zone Geelong received far exceeds that of the Bulldogs in this image.

Stokes to me appeared to midrepresent about the amount of work really they'd done with Ugle-Hagan, for the reasons I mentioned earlier in this thread. Not sure why he did 🤷‍♂️
Purely from an NGA perspective the program Stokes was referring to was the Indigenous program Geelong had been running in the Western Districts since 2012, but additionally we'd be running things on a broader scale in the south west for the best part of 20 years, so in that sense I nearly fell off my chair when I heard another club was being allocated places like Warrnambool and Port Fairy, let alone an inner-city Melbourne-based club.

Half your luck and you'd take what you can get, but zones are a disaster. For the record Geelong's NGA academy includes a tiny patch up in NT too I guess to compensate for our region being nicked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back