News AFL to overhaul draft on father-sons, academy picks

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a very traditional view, and one I shared until recently.

Then someone sent me this. It's participation rates in WA.

Swimming is the No1 sport and it's not even close. Participation rates in Basketball and Soccer fast closing in on AFL
Yep. That was basically what my post said. There are sports (like soccer) that have huge participation from non elite athletes.

it has absolutely NO bearing on participation by that small proportion of the population who are elite athletes.

Soccer and swimming straight up don't count. They aren't stealing the super talented 16 year old who has the choice of being a pro at whatever sport he wants (the Isaac heeney type kids who represent at just whatever they want).

Basketball actually does get a decent number of them, but only a very specific subset (the guys well over 6'4). In terms of raw numbers though it is still cricket, afl, league.

That's a very traditional view, and one I shared until recently.

Then someone sent me this. It's participation rates in WA.

Swimming is the No1 sport and it's not even close. Participation rates in Basketball and Soccer fast closing in on AFL.

View attachment 1866561
What a crock of s**t that swimming has the most participation. Walking would smash those numbers if they recorded it like swimming do. I walked today.

Breathing probably ahead though.

Yes it is.

"It's been going on since the 70s in some form."

Maybe do a bit of research?

So you think that your club should get some kind of credit for efforts by the WAFL and it's clubs (paid for by VFL clubs) long before your club existed?

So you think that your club should get some kind of credit for efforts by the WAFL and it's clubs (paid for by VFL clubs) long before your club existed?
Honestly mate, you need to go back and read carefully what I posted.

I also have no idea what you the think the VFL paid for.

I'm beginning to think you're deliberately posting rubbish just to get a response.

What a crock of s**t that swimming has the most participation. Walking would smash those numbers if they recorded it like swimming do. I walked today.

Breathing probably ahead though.
If people joined breathing clubs, took breathing lessons and had breathing competitions all the way to Olympic level, I'm sure it would be. ;)

p.s. Competitive walking is actually a thing.

philthy05

Wrong, I know Kane's family from way back being from Pt.Augusta myself, he wasn't an NGA and neither was Ashton Moir, the article is wrong both were members of the Crows Academy as distinct from the Crows NGA Academy which are run together as one entity. Moir and McAuliffe were Crows Academy eligible as elite talent aspirants from the Crows affiliated clubs Glenelg and North Adelaide along with Sturt and Central District. The Port Power's Academy affiliated clubs are South Adelaide, WWT, Norwood and West Adelaide. Father/Sons of course are eligible for the clubs their father's played for.

Check this article out...

So you're saying the AFL changed the NGA metro rules for WA but not for SA? Why would they do that?

Also, the Crows' priority NGA access to James Borlase (who grew up in Adelaide) seems to contradict what you're suggesting...

If people joined breathing clubs, took breathing lessons and had breathing competitions all the way to Olympic level, I'm sure it would be. ;)

p.s. Competitive walking is actually a thing.
Yeah, but I recon the swimming pools are recording primary school students as competitors while no one records them as playing athletics at the sports carnival or Footy at lunch time.

I’ve got three kids and none of them or their mates do competitive swimming outside of school.

Nope, Borlase was eligible because he was born in Eygpt when his father was working for the Australian Wheat Board from memory..
The Borlase family moved to Melbourne several months after James was born and relocated to Adelaide around four years later.
www.afc.com.au/news/844916/10-things-you-may-not-know-about-james-borlase

Lived in Adelaide between the ages of 4-14 years and is very much a metropolitan SA product. So what's the deal? The SA clubs have NGA access to metro players of international heritage but not indigenous players? But the WA clubs do have NGA access to indigenous metro players as evidenced through the Jesse Motlop example.

One thing I think we can mostly agree on reading the several threads and thousands of posts on the subject of academy and f/s picks and selections is that it's nigh on impossible for the AFL to come up with a compromise and solution that will satisfy all the clubs in every state (and supporters)

In an ideal world we would never have an totally uncompromised draft, but that will never, as well as an equal fixture where everyone plays each other twice (or once)

Ideally I would like to see WA and SA clubs have easier access to their state league and academy kids }

Since 2007, there has only been 1 premiership won by either a SA or WA club in the AFL, and I don't think it's a great look for a football and sporting league that prides itself on 'equalisation' tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suggest you check the NGA rules re being born overseas because that's how he was eligible for the Crows. Can't comment on Jesse Motlop's situation and anyway it has nothing to do with Borlase's eligibility. Motlop btw is from Darwin, the son of Daniel Motlop (Kangaroos and Port)
Jesse Motlop is not from the NT. His father Daniel is. Jesse grew up in Cockburn which is a southern suburb of Perth and had been there since six years of age. That's in Fremantle's NGA zone.

Check out the interactive NGA zone map in the AFL.com.au link below as it suggest both SA & WA metropolitan areas are included in the NGAs. It would appear that the only part of Australia that's unassigned is central SA. Not sure why but the population out there wouldn't be overly significant anyway.

My proposals ( 3 parts, pick some or all).

1. Limit the discount.

Instead of a fixed 20%, clubs get, say, 200 pts of discount per year*, to use on FS/Academy/NGA picks.

If you don't use it, it banks up, so if you don't get a FS for 5 years, you can use 1,000 points on him (which might mean you get him for free..and even have change left over).

If you run out of points, you can still match the bid, but you need to pay full price.

* - instead of 200 pts per year, another option would be to give different points depending on ladder position each year...such as 20pts*position, so the GF winner, being 1st gets 20pts, while the wooden spooner gets 18*20=360pts.

I can think of other potential adjustments to how many points clubs get, but don't trust the AFL enough to give them that kind of discretion.

----------------------

I'd also look at forcing clubs to have a pick within 1 round (18 picks, with any extra picks not being counted) of the player you're matching. This pick can be acquired by live trading.

--------------------

Free agency compensation comes in points, not picks.

This allows more variety in the compensation, so just making a threshold doesn't mean nearly as much, making it less open to manipulation.

These points can be used to upgrade existing picks (so you don't get more picks, just better ones)....Probably with a limit of not acquiring top 10 picks this way.

The same system could be used for assistance packages.

Can someone please explain to me when the Suns' list concessions are going to expire? Namely, the expanded access to Darwin and the extra list spots?

I thought this was only temporary, but it's been 4 years now? Genuinely curious about this.

Sadly we poorly traded out pick 2 because of N Daicos for not much. If the system was different we would have keep that pick. In the end through poor trading we paid pick 2 for ND. We also used pick 8 (if I remember correctly) for Moore and a pick in the 50s or J Daicos because no one wanted him. Sadly Collingwood isnt the best club for getting cheap father sons despite having 3 good ones.

You did not pay pick 2 for daicos.

You traded out that pick a year prior as a future draft selection for picks in the 2020 draft. Your club obviously thought you were going to finish higher up the ladder.

You did not pay pick 2 for daicos. You paid a bunch of late picks bundled together for him.

You paid pick 2 for some 2020 draft picks.

Where was Jesse Motlop born? Not where he grew up! Anyway I really don't give a flying * about Motlop's eligibility vs Borlase. If you want a definitive answer contact the appropriate person at the AFL or your club.

LoL that guy has been told so many times now he’s wrong wtf. Just keeps digging in.

Nah, 1 WA boy and 2 poorly performing WA sides would seem to make a better argument that it’s WA needs help “more than anyone else”.

But happy to say SA deserves it as well.

I’m just expressing concern for sa’s current production of draftees.

I’ll take WA’s any day. Far stronger than sa’s.

A current sa state of origin wouldn’t be competitive. And scarily if a few players weren’t available as always the case in soo we would be plucking kpps out of the sanfl to fill posts or playing wingard at FF.

I mean what would our spine be? Off the top of my head if all players available..

Petty
Luko
Grundy
Cox
? (We don’t even have a viable fb lol) Wilkie maybe?

Compare that to off the top of my head wa has to pick from kpfs

Allen , naughton , McDonald , hogan , amiss.

Yeah, sa football is struggling to produce quality footballers in numbers right now. Especially kpps’s.

Last edited:
Sorry but there's no circle here. It's very straight-forward.

This is what you wrote:

"Props to Freo for growing the game in an AFL dominated market"

It's a genuine question. What is your definition of AFL dominated market?

I can't really contribute until I know what you are referring to. What is the 'market'? Do you mean Metro? What is dominated?

If I assume you mean all of WA in younger people playing AFL at rates of 90% or above, I might be miles off.

Please just answer the question.

Commercially AFL is the most dominant sport by a country mile.
Healthy talent coming through the draft each year.
Strong participation.

In short you’re not competing with an entrenched and established code which is dominant in your market and which is light years ahead of you. If you were, you would understand that to begin to crack that market share you need a number of levers including clear elite talent pathways which the academies provide. They also grow the talent pool for the game.

I can see by referencing swimming in one of your posts above you have no intention of having a reasonable conversation and even your fellow purple warriors are turning on you.

I’m not sure why you’re so against academies, we are just growing the game. Growing the game.

I’m not sure why you’re so against academies, we are just growing the game. Growing the game.

I’m fine with having non-trad states with priority access to those players but the claims of growing the game are absolute bullshit from a logical point of view.

Afl could run academies and grow the game. Clubs could run the academies without getting access to those nga players (there’s even precedence for this, it’s what the non-trad states do and have done for decades yeah)

Fans saying they need ngas to grow the game are incorrect.

What they do, and what the fans are solely interested in is to give those teams priority access to those players.

It’s self serving. And there’s a real logical argument that those non-trad teams need that access to be competitive.

I’m supportive of non-trad teams have ngas and access to them because it helps them be competitive and that’s a good thing for the league.

But any argument that they need ngas to grow the game is bullshit. It can be done without their access, which is what the fans of those clubs are concerned about.

I’m fine with having non-trad states with priority access to those players but the claims of growing the game are absolute bullshit from a logical point of view.

Afl could run academies and grow the game. Clubs could run the academies without getting access to those nga players (there’s even precedence for this, it’s what the non-trad states do and have done for decades yeah)

Fans saying they need ngas to grow the game are incorrect.

What they do, and what the fans are solely interested in is to give those teams priority access to those players.

It’s self serving. And there’s a real logical argument that those non-trad teams need that access to be competitive.

I’m supportive of non-trad teams have ngas and access to them because it helps them be competitive and that’s a good thing for the league.

But any argument that they need ngas to grow the game is bullshit. It can be done without their access, which is what the fans of those clubs are concerned about.

I don’t think you can dispute we are growing the game. The facts are there.

Can someone please explain to me when the Suns' list concessions are going to expire? Namely, the expanded access to Darwin and the extra list spots?

I thought this was only temporary, but it's been 4 years now? Genuinely curious about this.
I don't know obviously but I would guess their stuff will start to go once they reach a final.

Read what I said.

I never said you were not growing the game.

I said you don’t need priority access to those players in order to do that.

Then I said why you fans want that access , and why I think that access is important.

No we do, otherwise we aren’t growing the game. It’s all part of growing the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back