MRP / Trib. AFL Round 1 charges - Scarlett accepts three-match ban and Kelly accepts reprimand for striking

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Scarletts left hook

I watched the replay carefully and thought he said 'sister'. Anyway, words really aren't worth getting suspended over, are they? Much better to line him up fairly and take him out. A Gary Ablett Snr bump was needed last night. I reckon Geelong's big guys need to throw their weight around more. Perhaps if Hawkins got rid of that pretty boy hairstyle for more of a Josh Hunt look, then he may actually grow some testicles! Sorry Tom, but you're yet to convince me.

Problem is that a Gary Ablett Snr bump was sometimes reportable in the AFL of the 90s. In the AFL of the 2010s, a Gary Ablett Snr bump would prob get you 10 weeks.

I absolutely want them to do that. Just as I want the AFL to fix the 'head contact' rule even though Selwood is one of the best head duckers in the comp.

A love of the game and the principles of the game and the honour of the game goes beyond petty partisanship. Staging and diving must be stamped out now before it becomes part of the culture (as it is in soccer). Any player, whether they wear the hoops or not, who stages or dives, must be shamed and reprimanded, lest our game become a soft joke.

If you get whacked flush on the jaw with a beautiful left hook , you earn the right to hit the deck. that ain't diving, for s**t sake.

Scarlett should be suspended by the club for the entire season along with Johnson, then they might take discipline more seriously.
Scott should be suspended by the board for allowing those 2 imbeciles to remain on the ground for the entire game.

Umm yeah so instead of ruining Aussie Rules maybe you could just go off and actually hold a nancy tea party if that's what you like.

They need to be reprimanded sure, a little bit. Scott did nothing wrong though.

Re: Scarlett's left hook

l hope geelong will be getting a second opinion on those scans on bella because freo prob have dodgy backyard doctors.;)

What about the principles of your own who basically testified Ling may not ever eat again. Four weeks later he's back playing.

A doctor either gives an honest opinion or it's bullshit.
Which category was your club's doctor on the Ling / Soloman injury.

Anyone a screenprinter?
scarlett.png

I'm surprised that Scarlo was even able to make that medium contact-Ballantine spent such inordinate amounts of time on the deck in this match-you just had to look at him and he fell over and got a free or a 50 metres-he was barely vertical long enough to have any real contact made. So really, Scarlo did very well to catch him in a small window of opportunity-all hail the king.

We love him, opposition fans don't.
Either way he has a suspected hairline fracture to his jaw which is unlikely to have been caused by talking.

Scarlett will get 3 weeks.

I don't know mate, he sure does A LOT of talking! ;)

That's true; it'll be hard to prove the hairline fracture to his jaw was caused by Scarlett's left hook .
A QC however could argue on the basis of probability supported by video evidence.
Hayden Ballantyne would thrive on getting whacked in every quarter of every game if it drew a free kick in the goal square.

Either way he has a suspected hairline fracture to his jaw which is unlikely to have been caused by talking.

Its not a 'skill' Id be proud of, or encourage.

He's a wimp, if he tried any of that crap in years gone by he'd already be retired with several fractures to his face. He has the skill, and is a good player, to not be such a wimp and would be highly regarded by opposition.

Staging is worse than belting if you ask me. Its a blight on the game. Stevie J needs to drop it from his game too, but is nowhere near as consistent at it as your favourite mandurah bogan.

If you get whacked flush on the jaw with a beautiful left hook , you earn the right to hit the deck. that ain't diving for s**t sake.

I don't recall SJ being hit flush with a left hook...

You have incorrectly inferred the subject of my comments. Despite my comments being broad and not about a specific player, the catalyst was the suggestion that Geelong fans would not want punishments for staging considering that SJ stages so often.

I absolutely don't think that Balantyne staged the drop. He didn't expect the hook and while it wasn't particularly strong (from the shoulder not the hip) it was certainly enough to have his head turn to the left at speed, which would cause a momentary daze or loss of consciousness combined with a loss of balance that would lead to a fall.

He staged a lot of stuff but not the drop. As I originally said, I want staging to be severely punished. Many players will be punished, including SJ.

Ling could had been killed with the typical freo thuggery, so doubt it's anywhere near that damage. If scarlo had actually use his core strength that fat hobbit would seriously not had got up.

Funny how you can stand up to your club's disgraceful gutter tactics everytime that they play agaisnt us.

What gutter tactics ?
Ballas is just an annoying buggar and he got whacked for it but that's what he does and, further , he'll do it again.

Lol by adding Balls name in there you've lost all credibility. He gets his head ripped off and gets nothing.

I just find Cats supporters unbelievable that they actually think their players don't dive and stage for free kicks.

Actually Luke Ball is probably the worst of the lot. He constantly does the old double shimmy to feign he's been pushed in the back. It's actually quite pathetic.

I don't recall SJ being hit flush with a left hook...

You have incorrectly inferred the subject of my comments. Despite my comments being broad and not about a specific player, the catalyst was the suggestion that Geelong fans would not want punishments for staging considering that SJ stages so often.

I absolutely don't think that Balantyne staged the drop. He didn't expect the hook and while it wasn't particularly strong (from the shoulder not the hip) it was certainly enough to have his head turn to the left at speed, which would cause a momentary daze or loss of consciousness combined with a loss of balance that would lead to a fall.

He staged a lot of stuff but not the drop. As I originally said, I want staging to be severely punished. Many players will be punished, including SJ.

My bad , I misunderstood your point and I agree.

The biggest problem now creeping into the game is players diving at opponents' legs or mid-drift to draw head high contact.

Staging in general will continue as long as the AFL continues to sprout rhetoric on clamping down on staging. there hasn't been one report that i can recall since they stated it was a reportable offence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What gutter tactics ?
Ballas is just an annoying buggar and he got whacked for it but that's what he does and, further , he'll do it again.

Betting he's one of those frocker fruitcakes who wears the "purple helmet" to games. Yes, there is some irony in that. :p

I watched the replay carefully and thought he said 'sister'. Anyway, words really aren't worth getting suspended over, are they? Much better to line him up fairly and take him out. A Gary Ablett Snr bump was needed last night. I reckon Geelong's big guys need to throw their weight around more. Perhaps if Hawkins got rid of that pretty boy hairstyle for more of a Josh Hunt look, then he may actually grow some testicles! Sorry Tom, but you're yet to convince me.

Or they could have been focused on winning the ball from the first bounce instead.

That's true; it'll be hard to prove the hairline fracture to his jaw was caused by Scarlett's left hook .
A QC however could argue on the basis of probability supported by video evidence.
Hayden Ballantyne would thrive on getting whacked in every quarter of every game if it drew a free kick in the goal square.

True. And I wish he was playing 30 years ago so Mick Malthouse could have removed him from planet Earth with a king hit behind play. Again and again and again.

Instead, I just hope he suffers a career ending knee injury. He's Steven Baker mark II. No talent and wouldn't be able to get a kick on merit.

Let's pray for injuries.

Scarlett should be suspended by the club for the entire season along with Johnson, then they might take discipline more seriously.
Scott should be suspended by the board for allowing those 2 imbeciles to remain on the ground for the entire game.

Wouldn't go that far, but I'm quite serious about making players play the same amount of reserves games as what they are suspended for. Good way to chop the egos down to size and remind them about how stupid they were.

Age will not weary them.

Dont forget we are a month behind most teams in fitness preparation.

Rubbish. Total myth. They were back in training in November. Fitness was not an issue in the slightest.

Age will weary them, and does weary them - 100% of the time.

Not enough respect being shown to one of our greatest ever players on this board. In saying that, its coming from woodwork posters mostly, and Id imagine the inebriated too.

I was stone cold sober, and have only been supporting them since 1977. So keen to know which category I fall under.

It doesn't matter who the player is. People bang on about standards and team rules - well Scarlett broke a cardinal one, that he is 100% at fault for. There's nothing wrong with pointing that out.

Scott praised the dwarf, but also sent a subliminal message to the AFL:

'I'd love him on my side.

'His niggling - that's within the rules.

'You're allowed to get into people's faces; you're allowed to say nasty things to them; you're allowed to press your head underneath their chin, and the rules say you can't react.'

Yeah, Scott is saying punish Scarlo heavily, and lets make 2012 the Year Of The Ballantyne! Lets get the niggle, the abuse the dirty behind the game players to the fore. That's what we coaches like! Wouldn't that be a lovely advertizement for our game?;)

Lets see if the AFL and the MRP read into that. Let the Ballantynes prosper, and we will end up with a very nasty, spiteful game throughout 2012.

I wasn't referring to you at all, Ok so I was wrong, some people aren't drunks/bandwagoners, just scapegoating wimps.

Its gone beyond pointing it out, its now becoming disrespecting a champion for having a brain fart of which I am sure he regretted as soon as he did it.

Heaven forbid a team rule gets broken by a champion. He will be punished for it, and rightly so. I still don't see it as such a big issue that some are making it out to be. I would've belted the mouthy prick too, albeit maybe a bit more discretely, especially if I just got pantsed 10 seconds prior like scarlo did.

Also, Scarlo is as fit as ever physically, Its his mind that maybe tired of playing H+A games. TBH since our domination started I care less and less about H+A games too. They're tryouts for the real stuff, of which scarlo will be apart of.

I don't think too many Geelong fans like Stevie's staging. If anything it is to the detriment of his game, so yes, a few free kicks against or a suspension for ludicrous simulation would be fine by me. For the record, I don't think Ballatyne did anything wrong, Scarlett thumped him, he had every right to go down. I love Scarlett but he stuffed up there. 4 weeks.

Perfect summary meatloaf

Remove this Banner Ad

Back