MRP / Trib. AFL Round 1 charges - Scarlett accepts three-match ban and Kelly accepts reprimand for striking

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Scarlett's left hook

Dumb thing to do. Should bite the hand off for the 3 weeks. Remember Stokes got 3 or 4 for incidental front on contact a few years back and that was nothing. System is so stuffed.

Re: AFL Round 1 charges - Scarlett offered three match ban and Kelly offered reprimand for striking

Fair for Scarlo...

But I swear to god the boards are running rife with one-eyed Freo supporters. There are usually a couple of sensible opp posters in amongst the trolls to even things out, but its ridiculous atm.

Was just looking at the footage again, and while it was stupid of Scarlo to take a swing, contact could've been avoided by Ballantyne.

[YOUTUBE]8mrDsqSHefk[/YOUTUBE]

If you watch it closely, Ballantyne is both leaning forward AND walking towards Scarlo when he takes the swing. If he was standing perfectly upright and standing still, the punch would've missed.

Ya what?

Jesus.:rolleyes:

Was just looking at the footage again, and while it was stupid of Scarlo to take a swing, contact could've been avoided by Ballantyne.

[youtube]8mrDsqSHefk[/youtube]

If you watch it closely, Ballantyne is both leaning forward AND walking towards Scarlo when he takes the swing. If he was standing perfectly upright and standing still, the punch would've missed.

Yep, the purple tiprat caught Scarlett off guard.

The 'jab' was meant to be a simple chest fend off, the kind you see every minute of every game. But it connected with the midget's chin when he encroached Scarlett's personal space quicker than he expected, the fact he's about a foot shorter didn't help either.

I don't care what any frocker and **** flog says, Scarlett is no dirty thug.

The 'jab' was meant to be a simple chest fend off, the kind you see every minute of every game. But it connected with the midget's chin when he encroached Scarlett's personal space quicker than he expected, the fact he's about a foot shorter didn't help either.

See plenty of those sort of fend offs in the bar of the Ocean Child back in the 70s,Gee the publicans missus, Pam was a good sort;)

See plenty of those sort of fend offs in the bar of the Ocean Child back in the 70s,Gee the publicans missus, Pam was a good sort;)

Another Geelong Pub that had gone to the grave.

It is an (office) furniture store now.

Re: AFL Round 1 charges - Scarlett offered three match ban and Kelly offered reprimand for striking

Fair for Scarlo...

But I swear to god the boards are running rife with one-eyed Freo supporters. There are usually a couple of sensible opp posters in amongst the trolls to even things out, but its ridiculous atm.

There is no other kind of Freo fan. If you listened to them, not only are the Purples a bunch of clean-skinned angels but also reigning premiers five times over.

Not sure how many of them live in reality.

bold = that was my initial thought and still is.

italics = how can it be dirty if balla is right in his face. if he hit him from behind then yeah that could be considered dirty

Mark Thompson has chimed in:

Ballantyne should change tactics: Thompson

Greg Buckle
April 2, 2012 - 8:54PM

Advertisement
Two-time premiership coach Mark Thompson has warned Fremantle's serial pest Hayden Ballantyne his style of niggling tactics is not the way to play football.

Ballantyne stirred up a hornet's nest in Fremantle's AFL round-one clash with defending premiers Geelong in Perth on Saturday night, as the Cats lost composure and gave away a series of 50-metre penalties in a four-point defeat.

Geelong's triple-premiership defender Matthew Scarlett was booked for punching Ballantyne in the face and is facing a three-match ban while James Kelly can accept a reprimand for striking Fremantle's Tendai Mzungu.

A third match-day report against Geelong forward James Podsiadly for striking Nick Suban was withdrawn on Monday.

Thompson, who is in his second year as an assistant at Essendon after guiding the Cats to two flags, says Ballantyne needs to change his ways.

"All the years that I've been involved in footy, I don't promote that sort of behaviour by a bloke like Ballantyne," Thompson told the AFL 360 program on Fox Footy.

"I just like to get on and play footy, play it fair and play it tough and shake hands at the end of the game.

"Just to stir people up is not my way of playing football.

"He might have upset Geelong this time but you can't do that every week and think that's going to be a motivator to win you a premiership."

Thompson said Scarlett would be disappointed that he had let the club down.

"He'd probably wanted to do it for a long time because he (Ballantyne) is a little ... (pest)," Thompson added.

Collingwood assistant coach Rodney Eade also said the 174cm Ballantyne may need to ease back on his niggling tactics.

"If he's in your face, good luck to him. I've got no problem with it," Eade said.

"Players can get targeted by taggers and whatever the case may be and off the ball.

"I'm not saying stop it, but he's got to temper it and maybe at times not bite off more than he can chew."

This story was found at: http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...d-change-tactics-thompson-20120402-1w8t6.html

Bomber was tremendously pro geelong on 360 tonight. It made for great viewing, not just for his insights into how he thought of Geelong and its MO, but also his animosity towards robbos rubbish article. Whately was just as sternly protective of our club. He fired up a bit.

Get the torrent and watch the show, it went for about 20 minutes all up. Its the bomber we never saw in the media. Any people who still have a sour taste on bomber leaving should watch it, it might change your mind. Bomber appeared energetic, haven't seen it in years. He was on fire.

There is no other kind of Freo fan. If you listened to them, not only are the Purples a bunch of clean-skinned angels but also reigning premiers five times over.

Not sure how many of them live in reality.

I've seen equal amounts of reasonable and unreasonable discussion from both sides.

Painting all supporters with one brush is futile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how's that defender no.13 for Freo after Scarlett hit's Ballantyne :D wasn't brave enough to take Scarlett on himself so he carries onto the ump first and then waits for Pavlich and his teammates to get in front of him before moving in to have a go :thumbsu:

This picture sums that up:

art-svBALLANTYNE-420x0.jpg

I wonder what they were each thinking in that moment?

This picture sums that up:

art-svBALLANTYNE-420x0.jpg

I wonder what they were each thinking in that moment?

Mzungu was probably thinking here's a goal for nothing here don't do anything stupid and have it reversed.Only player at the time in this picture with an IQ in double figures.

Mzungu was probably thinking here's a goal for nothing here don't do anything stupid and have it reversed.Only player at the time in this picture with an IQ in double figures.

This :thumbsu:

Bomber was tremendously pro geelong on 360 tonight. It made for great viewing, not just for his insights into how he thought of Geelong and its MO, but also his animosity towards robbos rubbish article. Whately was just as sternly protective of our club. He fired up a bit.

Get the torrent and watch the show, it went for about 20 minutes all up. Its the bomber we never saw in the media. Any people who still have a sour taste on bomber leaving should watch it, it might change your mind. Bomber appeared energetic, haven't seen it in years. He was on fire.

Completely agree, Bomber was great. He still clearly loves Geelong - a lot.

Best bit was Robbo asking him who he supports. There was a long, awkward pause before Bomber said "well, I'm at Essendon now..."

This. His contempt of Robbo was palpable. Just seems to be unwilling to hide his condescension of anyone whom he truly doesn't respect and God bless him for that. I'm back to loving Bomber again. He'd be wasted in a commentary box, but he's a perfect TV panelist.

I've seen equal amounts of reasonable and unreasonable discussion from both sides.

Painting all supporters with one brush is futile.

This. By and large, I find Freo supporters to be among the best on Big Footy. The idiots who have come out on various boards are funnily enough, posters whose names I don't recognise. And, with respect, you could go over most threads on here and find some absolute doozies from the one-eyed supporters on here, if you were so inclined. I think our supporters have a pretty good reputation on here, as well, but there's always going to be a percentage who truly believe that their club can do no wrong.

And this. Steve Johnon did it the other way early in the game with Ballantyne. I wonder who felt better: Johnson, for giving away a rare double-reversal; or Mzungu, for receiving a double-goal. Winners are grinners.

bold = that was my initial thought and still is.

italics = how can it be dirty if balla is right in his face. if he hit him from behind then yeah that could be considered dirty

You need to get rid of that old 17 inch black and white telly Big Foz, and if that doesn't do the trick may I suggest a visit to Kevin Paisley Fashion Eyewear. :D

What i'd really like to know is what Ballantyne said to Scarlett to force the left hook. It was probably provocative towards his family for Matty to react in that manner. I would love to one day find out what was actually stated.

What i'd really like to know is what Ballantyne said to Scarlett to force the left hook. It was probably provocative towards his family for Matty to react in that manner. I would love to one day find out what was actually stated.

I don't think so. Why wouldn't he use that to reduce the suspension, or possibly get it overturned completely? He's accepted the three matches, which to me means that no matter what Ballantyne's actions or words were, Scarlett's response was completely unacceptable and that he (and the club) knows that.

Why do we feel the need to justify his actions? He's done the wrong thing and he'll be very keen to make amends in Round 5.

I don't think so. Why wouldn't he use that to reduce the suspension, or possibly get it overturned completely? He's accepted the three matches, which to me means that no matter what Ballantyne's actions or words were, Scarlett's response was completely unacceptable and that he (and the club) knows that.

Why do we feel the need to justify his actions? He's done the wrong thing and he'll be very keen to make amends in Round 5.

If you've read my previous posts i certainly aren't trying to justify his actions, and i'm rather furious at how he handled the situation. I am rather curious as to what was said and i was merely throwing up a hypothetical. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Ballantyne said something of similar nature, although Scarlett is the type that would let what's said on the field stay on the field.

Who knows what happened but it's time to move on and concentrate on finding a suitable replacement, preferably somebody that's disciplined.

If you've read my previous posts i certainly aren't trying to justify his actions, and i'm rather furious at how he handled the situation. I am rather curious as to what was said and i was merely throwing up a hypothetical. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Ballantyne said something of similar nature, although Scarlett is the type that would let what's said on the field stay on the field.

Who knows what happened but it's time to move on and concentrate on finding a suitable replacement, preferably somebody that's disciplined.

And my point is Scarlett has been suspended several times over his career and (to the best of my knowledge) has never blamed it on any sort of adverse provocation. Which, to me, means he has a bit of a short fuse, not that it would take something absolutely extraordinary to give an opponent a bit of a clip. Maybe for him to have a follow-up crack, or to wind up and do some proper damage, you could wonder what had happened. But, as far as I'm concerned, probably copping the usual crap from a partisan crowd that an away full back always does, the pressure of the game and just giving away a free kick and a certain goal (though it was in no way his fault) put him on edge. Ballantyne running up and letting him know all about it was merely the straw that broke the camel's back.

Again, if Ballantyne had said anything that is considered outside the boundaries of standard banter, the club surely would have brought it up, to both try get Scarlett back as soon as possible and to let the world know that Ballantyne is a scumbag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back