Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

In hindsight, it’s funny bordering on crazy that it took so long for them to ditch white shorts. That’s a decision that only a man could’ve made without consultation.

It's not about the clubs. It's still a marketing tool for the AFL, which is why it's being played during the men's off season
Girls footy last season was being played on Friday nights because they can’t find enough grounds on Sat/Sun.
You make them sound like consumers but they’re players.

Less than 4% of all eligible open age mens league players end up in the afl, there’s comments about the pool being too small now about the talent being spread too thin…maybe your right in some respects it is about marketing and having more access to more talent.

I don’t see the negative in it even if you are right.

One thing that’s hard to quantify with the AFLW is the amount of suburban clubs that where on their knees ten years ago, building netball courts and trying to diversify to stay afloat.
Those clubs are strong again now, the councils have got behind them and they’ve made developments in infrastructure, the places have become real Public Houses for the community and girls and boys are growing up together.
Footy Clubs used to be alotta blokes hanging around getting pissed and talking sh.t.
Now they are a lot more sport orientated as well alot more family focused.
They’ve become better places because of girls footy and there’s no doubt in my mind the boys want to go where the girls are and vice versa.
Aussie Rules will leave all the other sports behind for participation next couple of years I reckon.

These arguments about the standard of their play, it hasn’t stopped any of that. It doesn’t interfere with how much it’s loved because it’s a different environment to any other sport.
It’s because the spectacle doesn’t please them when they watch it.

Big deal.
Spot on. This is an element that is continually overlooked.

AFLW players will retain extra power to move clubs next year following an AFL decision which means all contracts already signed for season eight must be confirmed again come the sign and trade period.

Anyone got full access?

AFLW players will retain extra power to move clubs next year following an AFL decision which means all contracts already signed for season eight must be confirmed again come the sign and trade period.
Ahead of the just-completed season seven, players could sign either one or two-year deals with their AFLW clubs. All players on one-year deals are necessarily out-of-contract at year’s end, however the AFL this week told clubs that players who signed two-year deals would also need to recommit come the 2023 pre-season sign and trade window.

In effect it means that players who had previously signed for season eight can no longer strictly be held to their contracts, and could move via a trade or any player movement concessions the AFL decides to introduce.

The move is understood to have frustrated some club figures, who feel as though it has shifted the goalposts around list management.

But the AFL is not expecting the same sort of player movement witnessed earlier this year, when the market was skewed by the addition of four expansion clubs.

The situation is complicated by the fact the AFLW collective bargaining agreement, signed in May, is set to expire.

The league and AFL Players Association have been in discussions around a new joint agreement including both male and female players.

Club delegates are due to meet early in the new year as negotiations ramp up.

The AFLPA’s stated aim is for all AFLW players to be full-time professionals by 2026.

However AFL women’s chief Nicole Livingstone said last month on SEN the AFL needed to be cautious around introducing full-time contracts for female players.

“I want to take a different take on it actually, because we talk about them (AFLW players) having other jobs like it is a shame, it’s not a shame and in fact, I think the AFL men’s program could learn a lot from the way the AFLW is operating,” Livingstone said.

“My language is more around them being year-round athletes. So right now, we are in six-month contracts. I think that’s the next phase – to have them in an off-season period and they are actually training and they’re on a contract to train in that off period as well.

“I still want them to be able to work and to be able to play football because if you’re 100 per cent on footy, or Olympic sports, Olympic sports has cottoned on to this a while ago, it’s actually not good for you as an athlete.

“It is too consuming, too pressure packed.

“It’s more about being year-round, they’re already professional heart, soul and mind in what they’re doing it‘s about how do we now allow them to thrive in both areas.”

This means that Wardlaw and Shierlaw aren't contracted to their clubs and can move to North freely. If the rumours are true. Sounds good to me. :)
North will still have to give up something in a trade, but it is a lot easier than if they had binding contracts.

North will still have to give up something in a trade, but it is a lot easier than if they had binding contracts.
I think that may be the case with Shierlaw, but I'm not sure about Wardlaw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that may be the case with Shierlaw, but I'm not sure about Wardlaw.
Well... rest assured. Uncontracted does not mean free agent. Both players would have to get a trade, or nominate for the draft, in order to move clubs. Between the two of them, Shierlaw would be the player most likely allowed to walk to the draft and still end up at her club of choice.

Wardlaw isn't going to NM, btw. Port Adelaide, Collingwood and Richmond are the most interested parties.

Well... rest assured. Uncontracted does not mean free agent. Both players would have to get a trade, or nominate for the draft, in order to move clubs. Between the two of them, Shierlaw would be the player most likely allowed to walk to the draft and still end up at her club of choice.
That's what I thought, but I wasn't entirely sure about the free agency rules in the AFLW.

Wardlaw isn't going to NM, btw. Port Adelaide, Collingwood and Richmond are the most interested parties.
As mentioned in an earlier post, that was just a rumour.

ill give some updates here if you want them

AFLW R9 was attended by 15,994 people at an average of 1,777 per match, using 15% of capacity. With 1 round remaining, AFLW S7 has been attended by 217,002 at an average of 2,679 using 18% of capacity. Without the MCG curtainraiser, the season average is 2,489.

LMAO not even 20 percent of capacity hahahahahahaha

season 7 has 18 percent capacity not even 3k a match/

PATHETIC
That’s OK, the AFL can afford it.

It seems the SANFLW is fast approaching next month on 17 Feb 23 (45 days) and the Grand Final on 11 Jun 23.

I thought I would give a quick macro view of the season:

Crows have released 7 of the list to play;
Port have released 14 players on their list with further players allocated SANFLW clubs;
6 AFLW Academy players who are eligible in 2024;
20 Ex AFLW list players (Veteran, former Premiership players & list cloggers);
Rookie players like Jasmin Fejo at Sturt who is a 22 year old Adelaide Lightning Basketballer with no footy experience but heaps of relatives in the AFL;
About 10 players of interest passed over in recent drafts and my consider the 'last chance saloon' with a strong cohort on the way, examples Zoe Venning & Gypsy Shirmer);

My 5 players of interest are:

Leah Cutting moved back to SA employment prevented playing in Season 7, moving to WWT and playing KPD;
Illish Ross - Richmond playing for Westies ironically at Richmond;
Lauren Young West v Shineah Goody WWT who is the best midfielder;
The development of Lana Schwerdt at Norwood; and
The better basketballer and footballer Jasmin/Jasmine Fejo v Simmons.

Curtain raisers to the AFL matches or the AFLW is a complete waste of time.
Disagree. The afl needs a bye week at round 17, where the aflw has round 1.
Round 2-6 (ish) as curtain raisers/closers (dependant on time of the men's games), then stand alone for the rest of the season, all teams playing each other once before finals.
Season ends in November

Curtain raiser at the mcg last time got a big attendance was before the dees and saints game last year.

i think it was dees and lions was a great match too with the dees home by 1 goal.

Not all the time but i feel at least 2 matches out of each aflw round could be curtain raisers to played at the mcg for example.

And rotate these matches.

Can use interstate grounds too like perth optus and the scg for example.

You can have 2 matches out of the 9 and share it around.

Be a great idea and have say a freo and eagles game at optus and the showdown crows and power at ao lets say.

Even the s**t fight that Soccer is got one thing right when they sold the ALM and ALW Grand Finals they booked the venue. Parra Stadium (Intimate) SFS (44K seats) and Homebush (Huge).

AFL need to put deposits at start of season for all contingencies for GF. Marvel (Vic); Metricon (QLD); try for Adelaide Oval (SA) but is cricket season but SMA may help as concerts occur alternatives are poor; Showgrounds (NSW) alternatives are Henson if redeveloped, North Sydney or Birchgrove and be hopeful for OPTUS (WA) but used by cricket and concerts but fair chance or alternative in Fremantle Oval.

Curtain raiser at the mcg last time got a big attendance was before the dees and saints game last year.

i think it was dees and lions was a great match too with the dees home by 1 goal.

Not all the time but i feel at least 2 matches out of each aflw round could be curtain raisers to played at the mcg for example.

And rotate these matches.

Can use interstate grounds too like perth optus and the scg for example.

You can have 2 matches out of the 9 and share it around.

Be a great idea and have say a freo and eagles game at optus and the showdown crows and power at ao lets say.
The only MCG curtain raiser I remember from Season 7 was the round two fixture between Melbourne and North Melbourne which the Dees won by two points. I think the Melbourne/Brisbane game was from Season 6.

yep correct was a dees north game aflw7.

then dees and lions before that amazing how times goes so fast.

Like to see a Collingwood v Melbourne aflw at the mcg to kick off aflw8

Melb v Carl and Rich v Haw did play their S7 practice matches as curtain-raisers to men's premiership matches though.

Melbourne v Brisbane S6 prelim at the MCG was a standalone match btw.

Regardless, like it or lump it, curtain-raisers will become more of a feature for the first half of the AFLW season, when more rounds are added resulting in greater overlap with the men's H&A. No way around it, if they are going to continue to avoid summer (which is guaranteed).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back