AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

The "rules" and excuses the AFL make are purely so they can do what they want come finals time. Last year, Freo were told we clashed with the Hawks but since Hawthorn were the top ranked side, they got the choice which is fair enough. I get the feeling that if roles are reversed in the future, the top drawing Vic side still gets preference and they will make the excuse that their clash Guernsey doesn't provide enough contrast.

It is so simple to fix and have rules on that no one loses face or is forced to comprise. It's a joke they haven't done anything about it.

Not quite the case for the GF: Fremantle were told to wear white shorts and chose to wear the clash jumper rather than the regular jumper with the white shorts, yes? So Fremantle/Hawthorn in a GF with Fremantle as the home side would be resolved with Hawthorn in white/yellow shorts without the AFL having contradicted themselves.

In general though, yes, the excuse that the away team's clash guernsey doesn't provide enough contrast would make plain to anyone thinking clearly that the implication therefore must be that the clash jumper isn't sufficient as a clash jumper, not that the home team needs to alter its kit instead. I had hoped we were over this ridiculous policy already, but apparently it seems not.

Bullshit, it's one rule for Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond & Essendon and another rule for everyone else with Hawthorn taking the piss.

To be fair Collingwood and Carlton have at least attempted come up with suitable alternate kits, the use/non-use of them is the problem there.
Essendon wear that grey guernsey too...as horrible as it looks. So at least they're trying...

BS. Total BS - home team should be able to wear what they want and the away team should have to suck it up and adapt

On another note, we are wearing our white strip when we host Carlton next Thursday - but the club is promoting it as "wear white on the night" so it seems as though the club wants to do it (did it v Port Adelaide last season as well), but I'd still rather us play in Purple at home (and away when there is no clash)

BS. Total BS - home team should be able to wear what they want and the away team should have to suck it up and adapt

On another note, we are wearing our white strip when we host Carlton next Thursday - but the club is promoting it as "wear white on the night" so it seems as though the club wants to do it (did it v Port Adelaide last season as well), but I'd still rather us play in Purple at home (and away when there is no clash)
At least Fremantle's white jumper represents the club - like an inverse wings (ie yellow peril) jumper would represent West Coast. The white one is a embarrassingly generic jumper, particularly on a nationally televised Friday night game.

But agree, Fremantle shouldn't have too wear white if they don't want to.

Same problem if they play an away game in Adelaide. So, instead of not making Richmond play away games in Adelaide and West Coast, due to aesthetics, maybe Richmond should act like a professional sporting club and get a decent clash guernsey. The one that its VFL club came up with (in its first year) probably isn't a bad starting point.

RFC came up with that jumper a while back (we don't have a VFL club mate, we have a VFL side, 1 club). Was mentioned somewhere that Richmond aren't allowed to wear that yellow jumper as a clash because the WAFL cracked it about it looking like their state jumper. And when has Richmond ever acted like a professional sporting club? LOL. EAD west coast :thumbsu:

Bullshit, it's one rule for Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond & Essendon and another rule for everyone else with Hawthorn taking the piss.

To be fair Collingwood and Carlton have at least attempted come up with suitable alternate kits, the use/non-use of them is the problem there.

As an aside they really need to get rid of the side panels on some of the clash kits as they pretty much defeat the purpose.

Essendon have a clash guernsey

This stuff really should have been sorted out months in advance, not on a weekly basis.

Simple matter, AFL releases fixtures, send each club a list of their home games and asks the club to nominate what they are wearing. AFL then collates this info and send each club a second list of their away games and what the home club has nominated to wear. Clubs respond with their away/clash jumpers where necessary and the AFL either approves or rejects it.

Specials and one-off promotional jumpers are included in the process.

This stuff really should have been sorted out months in advance, not on a weekly basis.

Simple matter, AFL releases fixtures, send each club a list of their home games and asks the club to nominate what they are wearing. AFL then collates this info and send each club a second list of their away games and what the home club has nominated to wear. Clubs respond with their away/clash jumpers where necessary and the AFL either approves or rejects it.

Specials and one-off promotional jumpers are included in the process.
I'd go further. Each club sends a group of representatives to the G with all of their strips, including people wearing the strips for actual comparisons (Brown and Purple don't clash). The AFL compare every strip, home and away and preferences to figure out clashes. Anything that clashes, away clubs are forced to come up with alternatives.

Finals can be given a policy too which best show cases the game. If clubs cannot agree on this if there are clashes, then the top ranked club gets priority and the lower ranked club has to provide a clash strip. All this information once organised can be published by the AFL so there are no surprises or teams getting shafted.

I see no reasons clubs couldn't also do deals. If the big club doesn't want a third strip, then they have to pay off the smaller home club for that right, assuming they agree.

That's not a bad idea. No doubt a crowd full of white could look pretty good. And would sell a bunch of white jumpers.

As an aside I played all my junior footy in a West Coast styled guernsey as in solid blue with yellow top panels or wings or whatever they are called. I know the modern trend is for solid designs and so West Coast went for the tricolour look but I'm not sold on it as an improvement. Not sold on blue, white and yellow as a pattern either.

It isn't confusing - at our home game we should have the right to wear whatever jumper we want. The opposing side then simply avoids a clash. Similarly when we play away, we just need to avoid a clash

Yeah, but it if it wasn't for a brain dead executive at West Coast (or maybe two brain dead executive/board members) then the Coasters would have stuck with their proper guernsey - which is better than 80% of the other guernseys out there.

So you are basically supporting what two very stupid people did on your behalf without you getting a say.

Did you get (as an Eagles supporter) a say in the change over to the three panel thing? or was it like the Carlton guernsey change where they changed the monogram on the Carlton guernsey in 1998 without you getting a single warning or say?

One year Carlton wore a proper monogram, the next year they wore that god ugly monogram they wear currently and have worn since 1998 in 2 different assortments. I have been waiting for 16 years to see Carlton wear their proper guernsey. I doubt I will ever get to see it again thanks to brain dead board members..

Yeah, but it if it wasn't for a brain dead executive at West Coast (or maybe two brain dead executive/board members) then the Coasters would have stuck with their proper guernsey - which is better than 80% of the other guernseys out there.

So you are basically supporting what two very stupid people did on your behalf without you getting a say.

Did you get (as an Eagles supporter) a say in the change over to the three panel thing? or was it like the Carlton guernsey change where they changed the monogram on the Carlton guernsey in 1998 without you getting a single warning or say?

One year Carlton wore a proper monogram, the next year they wore that god ugly monogram they wear currently and have worn since 1998 in 2 different assortments. I have been waiting for 16 years to see Carlton wear their proper guernsey. I doubt I will ever get to see it again thanks to brain dead board members..

Our board isn't publicly elected... we don't get a say in anything. We buy our membership and are largely told to shut up and pay your money.

I hate the tri-panel, i hate the white jumper. I love the royal blue with gold wings for day games and the reverse (yellow peril) for night games.

They should be our two jumpers. In the event of us being an away team we could use whatever jumper doesn't clash.

Having said all of that - our home jumper is the tri-panel (and has been for a while). It seems ridiculous that a team should be allowed to have a clash jumper and a normal jumper that clashes with another team's home jumper. A jumper we have had for a while now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our board isn't publicly elected... we don't get a say in anything. We buy our membership and are largely told to shut up and pay your money.

I hate the tri-panel, i hate the white jumper. I love the royal blue with gold wings for day games and the reverse (yellow peril) for night games.

They should be our two jumpers. In the event of us being an away team we could use whatever jumper doesn't clash.

Having said all of that - our home jumper is the tri-panel (and has been for a while). It seems ridiculous that a team should be allowed to have a clash jumper and a normal jumper that clashes with another team's home jumper. A jumper we have had for a while now.
They don't have a "clash" jumper, they have a "clash with Essendon" jumper

Our 'Wear White on the Night' is part of our Programmed sponsorship deal. Programmed are on our away guernsey and Woodside on our home. Programmed must have kicked in a bit extra to have a home game.

Last year someone wore a wedding dress (there are prizes up for grabs).

WC have been screwed over for this one though, why can't WC have the yellow peril as an 'alternate' strip or why not even do it as a fundraiser for the cancer council? Carlton did it for the M&M promotion.

Our 'Wear White on the Night' is part of our Programmed sponsorship deal. Programmed are on our away guernsey and Woodside on our home. Programmed must have kicked in a bit extra to have a home game.

Last year someone wore a wedding dress (there are prizes up for grabs).

WC have been screwed over for this one though, why can't WC have the yellow peril as an 'alternate' strip or why not even do it as a fundraiser for the cancer council? Carlton did it for the M&M promotion.

Ah okay - wasn't 100% sure on the reasoning behind it, other than the club wanted to do it (regardless of opponent)

I remember the wedding dress now haha and the whole thing makes more sense as it's home game exposure for an away sponsor for home fans

RFC came up with that jumper a while back (we don't have a VFL club mate, we have a VFL side, 1 club). Was mentioned somewhere that Richmond aren't allowed to wear that yellow jumper as a clash because the WAFL cracked it about it looking like their state jumper. And when has Richmond ever acted like a professional sporting club? LOL. EAD west coast :thumbsu:

So what your saying is there's no other alternative but to wear something that clashes?!

RFC came up with that jumper a while back (we don't have a VFL club mate, we have a VFL side, 1 club).

Oh, sorry about that. What an outrageous thing to say.

Was mentioned somewhere that Richmond aren't allowed to wear that yellow jumper as a clash because the WAFL cracked it about it looking like their state jumper.

Any evidence of this? It's not like there aren't other options e.g. the white with black and yellow sash, or perhaps one of the many preseason/training designs that they've tried over the years?

http://shop.richmondfc.com.au

www.footyjumpers.com

And when has Richmond ever acted like a professional sporting club? LOL. EAD west coast :thumbsu:

Onya, mad dog. Keep fighting the power.

If Fremantle still had their original jumper there would be no clash, but they changed their jumper and made a clash with Carlton.

I also saw West coasts first game on Fox last week again no clash with Richmond.

Agree the Royal blue with wings is a great jumper

If Fremantle still had their original jumper there would be no clash, but they changed their jumper and made a clash with Carlton.

I also saw West coasts first game on Fox last week again no clash with Richmond.

The match next week has nothing to do with a 'clash'. Freo choose to wear the white strip as part of a promotion. If we chose to wear our home guernsey, Carlton would have to wear their clash guernsey, there are no issues with these two teams.

If West Coast never changed from their proper guernsey (blue with the yellow wings) none of this confusion would have arisen.

Now they wear blue, navy blue, white, yellow in various stripes and assortments. The Eagles have created confusion by having that three stripe guernsey. If they had stuck with their heritage guernsey none of this would have happened and no "clash".

Surely it is quite simple...I can't see how high paid Eagles executives can't get it through their thick skull.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Blue wings for "clashes" if needs be and yellow wings for other matches. That three strip thing is useless.

What a club prefers as its primary kit (or in WCE's case their home kit) is up to them subject to the approval of the competition administrator.

What is broken is the AFL's regulations and their enforcement because it cannot handle the multitude of situations which arise each season.

In this the professional era, the regulation of match-day kits shouldn't have to be the weekly topic that it is in the AFL. It is one of the easier areas of the game to control. It's ridiculous how the AFL are unable to. The clubs operate within what the AFL allow and disallow, and this is so inconsistent (read favouring the big VFL clubs), it's embarrassing.

fyi - the blues are returning to their traditional monogram next year !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back