AFLW Autopsy AFLW: Hawks vs Essendon, Kinetic Frankston, 2nd Sept 7:15pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Think this shows how big a loss Wales is for us. She was excellent at giving our mids first use last year
Not only that, our forward line was very... less than smart. We need someone to take the Jess Duffin role and actually take their opponent away from the hot spot.
I think wales comes in and Luke goes forward and could play that role.

There’s a lot more talent in this team than last season, but there’s still the same problem - the coach and the game plan. You can’t compete sustainably at this level if your number one mode for scoring is over the back. We were definitely out coached.

It’s all well and good to be a good motivator with fluffy crap, but at the elite level, you need footy smarts and game awareness. Our coach does not have this.

There’s a lot more talent in this team than last season, but there’s still the same problem - the coach and the game plan. You can’t compete sustainably at this level if your number one mode for scoring is over the back. We were definitely out coached.

It’s all well and good to be a good motivator with fluffy crap, but at the elite level, you need footy smarts and game awareness. Our coach does not have this.
It's not really over the back. It's based around contested/pack marking, but the problem is, we have one player (Tamara luke) who can actually take a mark that way.

Bec is a bit like clarko, very stubborn.

Our best passages last year. And across the 2 games (practice match and Rd 1) have been scrappy passages where the gameplan has gone out the window.

I would say we would be in the best half a dozen teams for ground ball contests, but it isn't utilised

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not really over the back. It's based around contested/pack marking, but the problem is, we have one player (Tamara luke) who can actually take a mark that way.

Bec is a bit like clarko, very stubborn.

Our best passages last year. And across the 2 games (practice match and Rd 1) have been scrappy passages where the gameplan has gone out the window.

I would say we would be in the best half a dozen teams for ground ball contests, but it isn't utilised

She is nothing like Clarkson. He understands the game and obviously was able to execute a few different games plans to win flags.

Bombers coach, Wood, is a seriously good coach. She understands the game, reads the game well and can adjust in game as necessary. Goddard is seriously good at self promotion and talking jibberish for the media. If the club actually took the women’s program seriously, they would have appointed someone who can coach at the level.

Tackling is the weapon of the team, but this is a result of being second to the ball. Most of the scoring chains we have had in our short history start from our back third. It looks amazing when it comes off, but it’s not a model for winning games, let alone premierships. Sure, you’ll jag the odd game when the oppo haven’t come to play or their list is ordinary, but you won’t do anything meaningful.

Based on this game we aren’t well organised. Why that is I don’t know. We were bees to the honeypot and Essendon held their width so we were always getting beaten on the overlap. We also looked all at see defending like chickens with heads cut off - they were not. To me that’s the difference in the game. I think you can be a good head coach with people management skills but you would need someone strong on game plan to make that work.

Bombers look better drilled and better prepared, 🤮 just a little writing that. The game plan hadn’t registered with the Hawks yet, lots of new folks to get settled in coupled with a bad day at the office. A few tweaks, a few position moves and we will improve. A lot.
AFLW means ten games with my daughter (29 yrs old) talking footy and life. Go Hawks.

There seemed to be a disconnect with our midfield on Saturday night. Centre clearance and around the ground. it looked like we were out numbered a lot around the ground. Anyone there got some thoughts on this, the camera and commentary was a bit thin on for a bigger picture.?

There seemed to be a disconnect with our midfield on Saturday night. Centre clearance and around the ground. it looked like we were out numbered a lot around the ground. Anyone there got some thoughts on this, the camera and commentary was a bit thin on for a bigger picture.?
These stats will help paint the picture for you: -

Disposals - Hawks 192 to 260 Bombers
Inside 50's - Hawks 21- to 42 Bombers
Hitouts - Hawks 43 to 22 Bombers
Centre Clearances - Hawks 3 to 8 Bombers
Stoppage Clearances - Hawks 26 to 20 Bombers
Contested Possessions - Hawks 94 to 127 Bombers
Tackles - Hawks 103 to 57 Bombers

We were smashed inside the contest and at centre bounce. Luckily we like to tackle, because we were consistently second to the ball. Typical of Goddard's game plan, if there is one, the team had to attack from the back third. You will struggle to score consistently when this is your mode.

Thought we had the same issues as last yr with our mids connecting with our forwards.
First 3 quarters the forwards weren't leading (problem in the mens too)
When the forwards started leading to 50 our ball use really improved.
Fitness may have been an issue for the midfield, as they needed that extra run after the mark at 50, but never provided it

I really like Stratton, she competed very well and Mattea showed some things too, I think she stepped an opposition player at one point which is handy at her height. Bates was obviously good but Tilly quiet, I think of those two can connect and we have Gilly get back to her best/full health we’ll look a lot better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back