Preview AFLW Round 5 Hawks vs Lions changes etc...

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong. Hawks ran out of gas and the Lions started to play to their ability. Too many passengers in the Hawks team that you’d prefer to blow smoke up. Too many that aren’t ready for this level, some will probably never make it. Some that will make it aren’t playing well. If this happened in the men’s space, they would be called out…..albeit via the safety of the keyboard.

Not to mention the coach was out coached in the second half.

Looks like the Hawks don’t train with game like pressure. The amount of poor decisions made when the Lions turned up the heat was very alarming. Worst part of this was no ball security inside the contest in our defensive 50. Tapping the ball out into chaos in that area of the ground is dumb footy.
I understand that your disappointed and frustrated, but your constant strong negativity gets a bit much at times.

Just remember that this is a journey, while constructive criticism is good, please don't forget to point out the wins we have along the journey as well. For example I think the team played a great first half, showed some real growth and development and played really well, but the Lions class, fitness base and experience proved to be too strong in the end.

Disappointed with the drop off in the second half but honestly I was expecting it. Brisbane are a high quality seasoned team and they were always going to keep on coming. Even with the loss of three top players, the Lions have others who have stepped up to fill the holes. Davidson in particular was superb in playing the role we have had trouble stopping this year - the big marking forward who works hard up the ground.

Really like Tamara Smith again, this time taking one of the best small forwards in the competition out of the game. Courtney Hodder is a gun, one of my favourite players, she got Smith in a solid tackle late in the game but that was about it.

Kashy probably won't be named in our best but she would be close to our most important player. Covers more ground than anyone and is consistently the one dropping back to plug the holes.

Just a reminder that all of our kids have only played about 10-14 games max at this level and Aine only about that many Aussie Rules games at any level. Can't expect them to perform like Tilly, Bates and Kashy who have all played more than 50.

Overall I think they are heading in the right direction. Getting experience into the kids and continuing to bring in solid experience from other clubs. The pressure game style builds the right attitude and in time will help to develop the endurance to run games out.

So sorry sensitive people, what an amazing program lead by amazing coaches, they are just the best. All the players are either stars, or they are going to be, they are incredible.

The club have done all the right things in putting this program together. The way they appointed key people was so transparent and clearly they were able to find the very best and most qualified people. No one in the program or the club should ever be questioned. It is a new program after all, so we should just be happy and satisfied that we have a team in the big league.

To the hero that did the research with my posting, I am involved in female footy. I am more invested in that space than the men’s space. My knowledge in the female talent space is significantly better than any other footy space. This hero also suggested I was hitting on a kid - classy champ!

So sorry sensitive people, what an amazing program lead by amazing coaches, they are just the best. All the players are either stars, or they are going to be, they are incredible.

The club have done all the right things in putting this program together. The way they appointed key people was so transparent and clearly they were able to find the very best and most qualified people. No one in the program or the club should ever be questioned. It is a new program after all, so we should just be happy and satisfied that we have a team in the big league.

To the hero that did the research with my posting, I am involved in female footy. I am more invested in that space than the men’s space. My knowledge in the female talent space is significantly better than any other footy space. This hero also suggested I was hitting on a kid - classy champ!
If your just going to be a complete jerk, do everyone a favor and just remove yourself from this forum please

Last edited:
If your just going to be a complete jerk, do everyone a favor and just remove yourself from this forum please

I actually thought forums were for everyone, not just for sheep who think their elitist opinions need to be conformed with. Sorry, my bad.

It does sound like you have a chip with the appointment of Bec The Post Man

What’s the deal with that

The process, if there was actually one, to appoint our first ever AFLW coach was not right in my opinion AND I believe there were better options available. However, when you don’t go to market to find the best available, then they cannot even be considered. There appears to have been an agenda in this process. It’s not unusual though, when you consider who was in control of her appointment.

I know her coaching journey very very well. Sure, she is a premiership coach, but when you consider all the factors, I reckon most people in here could have coached that Crows team to a flag. My contacts inside the Crows tell me they were very happy to see the back of her.

Then you factor in the recruiting challenges by having her as coach. I can tell you a lot of the players approached did not want to play for her. So the result of this is you get ordinary recruits at best in our first year. Some of the drafting has been outstanding. Fleming was a no brainer, but she will be a star and could end up being one of the best players in the comp if we can get the right system to utilise her strengths. Hipwell is another that will be great.

Don’t get me started on the game plan and our system. Sure, everyone spruiks how great we are at tackling, but that’s second to the ball stuff that wallpapers over the poor stoppages and ball winning ability. Then we have to attack from the back half, which in this space at this level, does not result in winning games. I genuinely do wonder if we are preparing our players well enough for the fierce battle that AFLW can be against the best teams. Are we focusing on skill execution and decision making under pressure enough? Sometimes you have to sacrifice training system to get the fundamentals right under pressure, because there is no game plan that will stand up if you don’t have the skills to execute it.

I understand we are a new expansion team that will be many years away from being a contender, but I don’t think that should excuse the club, coaches or players from poor decisions or poor performance - which can often be connected. I also understand some people on here will take the glass almost full position, and I respect their views, but not sure attacking people personally when their view differs from yours is the way a forum actually works - a place where everyone can discuss footy and share their differing views.

Last edited:
Any idea what’s going on with Soph Locke’s role in the team? She’s getting no game time and it’s meaning you’re down a rotation all match essentially. She played 3 minutes total today, for example. Doesn’t make much sense to me.

The Post Man - thank you
I understand your position better

I can only comment on what I see, as I’m not across anything going on behind the scenes and to date from what I’ve seen, there’s been some improvement but there’s a long way to go - there’s a lot of chaos football

Hopefully we get to keep those with the potential - would hate to see them snatched up to go elsewhere because of internal stuff

Any idea what’s going on with Soph Locke’s role in the team? She’s getting no game time and it’s meaning you’re down a rotation all match essentially. She played 3 minutes total today, for example. Doesn’t make much sense to me.
We had some of the lowest rotations last year which puzzled some. A d then this year they reduced interchanges.
I'm wondering if maybe they are going to change the interchange system again next year, and bec is aware of it?

So one of our players only plays 3-4 minutes against one of the fittest teams in the competition. Not surprisingly, we run out of legs in the second half.

If she hasn’t suffered an injury, why would you leave someone on the bench for most of the game? Does this make sense to anyone? For me, it validates some of my thoughts if Locke was not injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had some of the lowest rotations last year which puzzled some. A d then this year they reduced interchanges.
I'm wondering if maybe they are going to change the interchange system again next year, and bec is aware of it?

Regardless of whether a rule change is coming, to be only getting very limited game time, in fact you might as well say no game time, when commentary and supporters can see how tired players are, is ridiculous.

In fact, it makes no sense whatsoever and if it was me, I would be furious and asking questions

Regardless of whether a rule change is coming, to be only getting very limited game time, in fact you might as well say no game time, when commentary and supporters can see how tired players are, is ridiculous.

In fact, it makes no sense whatsoever and if it was me, I would be furious and asking questions
I agree and disagree.
We aren't playing for finals this year, and the team was very transparent that it wouldn't be until years 4 onwards that you see it come together. If you can get an advantage down the track, you take it

I don't think Sophie is the right player to be used in that role though. If we had someone like Janet Baird playing the role, I think it would be seen as more beneficial (although, Baird has not been seen at the last couple of games, so maybe she's on the way out)

There’s only 16 on the field, so one rotation down impacts performance significantly.

I cannot comprehend that a coach of an expansion team that’s trying to create a strong culture would be short shifting rotations that impact performance in the hope that rules changes may or may not be in play years down the track. That is fanciful garbage. Absolute rubbish!

I actually thought forums were for everyone, not just for sheep who think their elitist opinions need to be conformed with. Sorry, my bad.
You can have different opinions, but if you post like a tosser, you're going to get called out for it.

I agree and disagree.
We aren't playing for finals this year, and the team was very transparent that it wouldn't be until years 4 onwards that you see it come together. If you can get an advantage down the track, you take it

I don't think Sophie is the right player to be used in that role though. If we had someone like Janet Baird playing the role, I think it would be seen as more beneficial (although, Baird has not been seen at the last couple of games, so maybe she's on the way out)

Whether they are or aren’t playing finals is irrelevant, as is which player it is sitting on the bench.

I want to play football, not warm a bench for all but 10 minutes. It’s certainly not what she spent years training and playing to end up doing

I would be looking for a new club to play at

Remove this Banner Ad

Back