Game Day AFLW Round 4- Melbourne vs Collingwood - yoo-hoo, we won, we won!!

Remove this Banner Ad

KICK IT TO ME

O9k8a.gif

Admittedly, I haven't watched every AFLW Pies game since its inception, but tonight was by far the best team performance the gals have displayed so far.

I think for the most part she's just trying to rattle up some controversy. She thinks she's on to something (trying to blame Melbournes trip - maybe some of the girls mentioned it to her, who knows) and kept mentioning it every chance she got.
Lane’s attempt to make that link was really quite poor. Melbourne should be lauded for the work they have done with Aboriginal communities. To then suggest it as a reason for the loss puts an unnecessary negative spin on it.

Melbourne lost the game because our girls were harder at the contest. Our tackling was superb.

Lane’s attempt to make that link was really quite poor. Melbourne should be lauded for the work they have done with Aboriginal communities. To then suggest it as a reason for the loss puts an unnecessary negative spin on it.

Melbourne lost the game because our girls were harder at the contest. Our tackling was superb.

I’m watching a replay now. Our girls worked and worked it. They never gave up. Melbourne might be more polished and skilled, and looked like they expected it to happen, but it didn’t.

Bernardi was just fantastic. Our warhorse Hutchins apparently got her first ever AFLW goal.

We are also looking a lot fitter across the board than last season. Given the oppressive conditions up there, I think that counted too.

Also listening again to Sam Lane making excuses for Melbourne. Disappointing emphasis there - how about praising Collingwood for our effort and work rate? Peta Searl, whom I’ve heard speak before at a footy function and been impressed by, was way more balanced and insightful.

I don’t share the hate for Lane, and I admire the career she has established for herself in footy media. But last night she allowed her prejudices to show a bit too blatantly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lane may have gone on with it a bit much, but the topic itself is a valid debate. From a purely footy perspective 8 days on the road flying straight from Perth to Alice Springs gave the dees a greater chance to acclimatise to the heat and avoided a only being back in Melbourne for a few days. Conversely we were only in Alice Springs for a few days, so may have been fresher, but less accustomed to the heat. Perhaps this is why we were more heavily invested in ice vests vs Melbourne instructing their players to stay out of the sun and not give the heat much more thought.

Either way it's Melbourne who requested a NT game, so they can't really fault the AFL scheduling.

Moving off Sam Lane, how good/tough is our Captain?!

Steph’s a great captain AD. I met her last season, and she’s humble and smart. Gives credit to her players. Shows poise when we are under pressure. A fantastic achievement to be the first ever captain of the Pies women’s team, and we are very well served there.

I also thought Ilish Ross played well last night. Tough defender, laid some tackles. Like very much!

I think Steph is great too, small but gives her all

I thought the big girl King did ok as well, I had doubts but she has been better the last few weeks

Re Emma King, I never quite know how to assess her performances. Not sure why that is. I think (hope) she is more in the mould of a genuine ruckman, rather than just a very tall athlete (which some of the teams have). She was AA last year.

Re Emma King, I never quite know how to assess her performances. Not sure why that is. I think (hope) she is more in the mould of a genuine ruckman, rather than just a very tall athlete (which some of the teams have). She was AA last year.

I didn't realise she was AA, that kind of surprises me actually, I kind of see her in the mould of a genuine old style ruckman, she took a nice mark in the backline and has a pretty long kick on her, seems to be getting a bit more involved lately

I thought she was a bit unco when watching her but she is slowly changing my mind

Moving off Sam Lane, how good/tough is our Captain?!
Good player who I think could be even better with a stronger midfield group around her. Often makes something happen forward and it would be nice to have the luxury of giving her more minutes on a HFF.

Good player who I think could be even better with a stronger midfield group around her. Often makes something happen forward and it would be nice to have the luxury of giving her more minutes on a HFF.

Fair point re Chiocci.

How do you think Jamie Lambert is going? Got a lot of touches last night. She’s small, and a player I don’t see a lot of when watching the game. But I’m not a reliable observer! More effective than seems obvious?

Also listening again to Sam Lane making excuses for Melbourne. Disappointing emphasis there - how about praising Collingwood for our effort and work rate? Peta Searl, whom I’ve heard speak before at a footy function and been impressed by, was way more balanced and insightful.

I don’t share the hate for Lane, and I admire the career she has established for herself in footy media. But last night she allowed her prejudices to show a bit too blatantly.

Being Postive about Collingwood will get you Sacked.

She is as bad as her Father Tim Lame in Making Excuses for other Teams Losing to Collingwood and Bagging Collingwood every chance they Get

Fair point re Chiocci.

How do you think Jamie Lambert is going? Got a lot of touches last night. She’s small, and a player I don’t see a lot of when watching the game. But I’m not a reliable observer! More effective than seems obvious?

Lambert has not really stood out for me and I can't pick her out on the Ground Watching it

Fair point re Chiocci.

We gave up a lot for Lambert, something I was critical of at the time. The deal was Lambert + pick 3 for picks 1, 4 + 12. Assuming we take Molloy over Huntington it basically works out as 4 (Conti) + 12 (Gee). I don't know much of either, but Conti has received a rising star nomination.

On Lambert I can see the idea behind her recruitment as we lacked that in/under type, but like most of our other players she's small and lacks pace. She does a lot of work in close though, throws her body around, wins a lot of footy and is leading the club for average contested possessions with 6.8 per game (Barden next best with 6.3). Overall I think she's the type who's work goes largely unnoticed, but she's been one of our better players in at least a couple of our games and at 23 should be one of our mainstays for the next 5+ years.

http://www.afl.com.au/womens/matches/stats#stats-player-stats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back