Toast Alex Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just a Freo thing, that I keep thinking of depth when considering whether or not to delist/trade players?

So many times I've seen us lose first 22 players that I argue for keeping players on the basis that we will lose someone ... or several someones.

Good old fashioned lock down defender, and has shown it in recent weeks. I still think he's done though since he can't kick and is also not great at peeling off his man. If Barlow is finished then Silva definitely is.

Different people see different things I guess, but I think he is a reasonable kick, it certainly can get some distance and it's comfortably better than Dawson's. He isn't a great kick on the run, but with time he's better than average. He also does know how to peel off his man, he does it often and usually quite well for a 50 odd game player. It's not an easy thing to get absolutely right at AFL level. Dawson is probably the best at it in our team, but Silva is OK and he's fearless in the contest when it's required. He also has pretty good hands, again better than Dawson.

Agree that we keep both (Silvani, Dawson) but most likely for depth. I suspect Silvani will toil away for the season at Peel with Collins and Dawson battling for the same spot. Alex Pearce is a lock for 1 spot. My happy place this season (which I have had to visit frequently) were the memories of his game on Tex Walker earlier in the year. His spoiling and that huge lunge tackle he nailed on the wing...

Back to Silvani - sign him up one more year. Freo missing out on Cale Hooker and his late season AFL form has earned him another year.

Dawson. What is the goal we are after? winning? youth and losing?
Apart from the Sydney game, with Dawson we are a lot more competitive. He stops key forwards. Even in the Sydney game, he held Franklin to 2 goals.
It was the mids that killed us. I am sure most key forwards hate playing on Zac - because he is a standard defensive minded defender - and he saves more goals than he gives away.

In my mind we would be nuts to not get him for another year. It allows Collins to play on a second tier forward - Alex Pearce too - MJ can be the release player (if). I take Zac over Silvagni - and I want to keep Silvagni on the list we need the depth. He would not be starting, but he would be required at on point if not for the season.

Please, somebody put me out my misery, and suggest the best KPP defenders, in order, to stop bags of goals helping players get a Coleman medal by charity from us. For mine, Zac is the best - prove me wrong stats people. The last 2 weeks without Zac we were worse.

Every player is not Pavlich, winning AA in every position. Some are just role players. Zac may be simple, but he is effective, and he was one of our best players in all finals games. We are not losing games because of Zac Dawson. I also understand he is not the player kids will ask to get autographs from.

Apart from the Sydney game, with Dawson we are a lot more competitive. He stops key forwards. Even in the Sydney game, he held Franklin to 2 goals.
It was the mids that killed us. I am sure most key forwards hate playing on Zac - because he is a standard defensive minded defender - and he saves more goals than he gives away.

Zac hasn't looked too good this year in a bad team anyway, beaten often without the upside of rebound.

Also the Sydney game Dawson played forward/ruck and only went to defense as a third kpd when he was completely useless upfront, it was silva who stopped Buddy, Dawson probably would have been dropped for Apeness the next week anyway as a like for like swap (ruck/fwd to ruck/fwd)

Would have lost heavenly selection credits while 'fit' but not 'available'.
One more year is likely I think;just to offer options and lube the defensive transition to the new brigade.
If someone offers a vegemite sarny,he's gone!
Been very good but won't be that good again.

Every player is not Pavlich, winning AA in every position. Some are just role players. Zac may be simple, but he is effective, and he was one of our best players in all finals games. We are not losing games because of Zac Dawson. I also understand he is not the player kids will ask to get autographs from.
I don't think anyone with half an idea would disagree with you, necessarily. The problem with Fremantle, though, is that we have too many role players and need to offload a few.

When I say Dawson should be phased out, I mean exactly that - not traded or delisted, just... if there is a player with the ability to replace him, time to start giving him games.
Silvagni may be that player... but we need to give him more games to find out.

All our defenders have been pants this year one time or another. Alex Pearce is probably our only defender who didn't get spanked. (He towelled up some of the best Gunston, Walker)

Our lack of midfield pressure would make any defender look ordinary.

If Johnson plays next season then I don't see any room for Dawson.

Spurr - Collins - Johnson
Croz - A Pearce - Tucker

Uebergang needs to be getting a handful of games next year too. We're not in premiership mode and Spurr and Johnson will provide enough leadership downback.

Happy for Dawson to rotate with Johnson when he breaks down but he shouldn't be taking Collins/Pearce's spot from next year.

In my mind we would be nuts to not get him for another year. It allows Collins to play on a second tier forward - Alex Pearce too - MJ can be the release player (if). I take Zac over Silvagni - and I want to keep Silvagni on the list we need the depth. He would not be starting, but he would be required at on point if not for the season.

Please, somebody put me out my misery, and suggest the best KPP defenders, in order, to stop bags of goals helping players get a Coleman medal by charity from us. For mine, Zac is the best - prove me wrong stats people. The last 2 weeks without Zac we were worse.

Dawson was only on Buddy for 2 mins which was enough for Buddy to make him look stupid in a 1 v 1 and kick one of his 2 goals. Silva did the job on him and Buddy only kicked 1 goal on him despite the Swans midfield running rampant.

Dawson was only on Buddy for 2 mins which was enough for Buddy to make him look stupid in a 1 v 1 and kick one of his 2 goals. Silva did the job on him and Buddy only kicked 1 goal on him despite the Swans midfield running rampant.
Fair call, I made an assumption - most of the games are a blur this year between acceptable losses and disasters. We triple teamed Buddy most of the night allowing the midfield to be free.

I stand corrected on Dawson having any influence on Lance in that game.

The look stupid comment is a bit much though. I will not review the game because it is pointless, but if you are inclined, review the other matches Dawson has played and the goals kicked against - I think his stats would be up there with the best in the AFL?

Last edited:
Nobody doubt dawson on one on one, but what is the next step, the biggest problem now is getting out of defensive 50 for freo.

Nobody doubt dawson on one on one, but what is the next step, the biggest problem now is getting out of defensive 50 for freo.
Think the defence as a whole lack the ability to successfully rebound and take the game on. Spurr isn't that type, perhaps Crozier will grow during pre-season and make his kicking the asset in defence. Apart from that, Suttclife has take a big step back this season and Sheridan is better suited on the wing/attacking midfielder. Each elite team has those types of defenders such as Dawson. The lock down defender and nothing else. Talia from Adelaide, Allir Allir from Sydney, Gibson from Hawthorn so on and so on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back