Player Watch Aliir Aliir

Remove this Banner Ad

FAiTVFTVQAAeI44

It's becoming glaringly obvious that Allir Allir doesn't like body contact. Not just based on tonight but he appears to enter into physical contests with his arms and fists but without the use of his upper body crashing in.
He tackles with his arms and hands and doesn't use his body weight behind his tackles.
He drops chest marks and expected overhead marks when he perceives that he'll receive body contact.
I'd never call an AFL footballer soft, some are just naturally harder than others, his 1 on 1 technique looks way off in my opinion.

AA is fine, but he needs help. Cluz has his limitations and Jonas/McKenzie are cooked. Imagine what our defense would be like if he didn't come over. Criminal drafting/development.
I do agree that our defence has been neglected, it's my greatest area of concern when I look to the future of our list.
I don't think Allir plays with that bit of mongrel that's needed in defence, clearly it's his prerogative to play with a smile on his face but you would hardly call him intimidating, he plays like a nice guy.
Playing loose man in defence isn't the hardest role but teams now force him to defend and I think he needs intense coaching regarding his positioning whilst learning to defend and tackle with his entire body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AA is fine, but he needs help. Cluz has his limitations and Jonas/McKenzie are cooked. Imagine what our defense would be like if he didn't come over. Criminal drafting/development.
He had like 1 touch to quarter or half time.

As our intercepting tall defender in a team thats defence was getting hammered, that's not good enough

He had like 1 touch to quarter or half time.

As our intercepting tall defender in a team thats defence was getting hammered, that's not good enough
I think it was 10 Disposals, 3 marks and 1 tackle for the entire game with less than 200 metres gained.
There's huge deficiencies in his game and his craft as a backman especially when he's forced to defend and isn't loose man which isn't the hardest role to play.
Granted he was AA last year in that loose man in defence role but the drop off has been alarming. I will concede he has come off an injury early in the season but I'll 'double down' in that he doesn't like using his whole body to impact contests nor does he like the perception of bodies crashing into him hence why he drops chest marks and or easy marks under limited pressure.
Fortunately his deficiencies can be worked on, he needs to develop a bit of mongrel about him and drop his constant smile for 120 minutes. I'll cop criticism for mentioning his smile but I'm happy to defend my point further by stating that Allir developing that mongrel will be foreign to him, for a period its going to need to be forced and won't feel natural. In time though he might be able to deliver a much needed harder edge and not be nice with the way he portrays himself a factor in his overall game.
If Tom Jonas isn't working with Allir about how to defend using your whole body as well as your arms and fists then there's a big opportunity lost for him to improve.
I was astounded that someone rated him B.O.G in their votes on our forum.

None of our defenders, bar a younger Jonas, are in any way shape or form dirty mongrels destined to be great defenders that hurt key forwards at any legal opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back