All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

The New York Times has found out that the US president, vice president and secretary of state, have been taking turns in making the daily calls for a gaza truce. Until recently, the decision as to who makes the daily annoucement has been based on a morning game of rock, paper and scissors. Joe had complained that he was losing all the time, so Blinken took over the role today.

US officials had said that it was a humiliating role but someone's got to do it.

Lmao you are seriously taking the piss here. Paid 4.9 cents per kWh & charged at 35 to 40 cents per kwh in return.Then charged $1.00 per day for other services & charges. They charge my neighbours near 40 cents a kWh for my solar power & give me 4.9 cents for my trouble & you people are trying to justify it. You have some serious blinders on.
So you're not interested in the reason for the mark up. Just going to assume corruption and carry on about it regardless?

Electricity isn't a box of cereal - you can't store it on the shelf. The grid doesn't go back into massive batteries to be sold again the next day. How much of the electricity that you sell actually gets onsold? What do they pay big producers of electricity per kWh?

On 14 December 2010, Kristina Keneally's Labor government sold the first tranche of the partial privatisation of the state's electricity assets for $5.3 billion. In May 2012, the O'Farrell Liberal government passed legislation to sell the State-owned generators.

well thats good news frizzle. Now private enterprise is involved, you should get a fair price. Gov'ts are corrupt.

So you're not interested in the reason for the mark up. Just going to assume corruption and carry on about it regardless?

Electricity isn't a box of cereal - you can't store it on the shelf. The grid doesn't go back into massive batteries to be sold again the next day. How much of the electricity that you sell actually gets onsold? What do they pay big producers of electricity per kWh?

well thats good news frizzle. Now private enterprise is involved, you should get a fair price. Gov'ts are corrupt.
In bed together Mark. Even you know that.

In bed together Mark. Even you know that.

Well i still wouldnt complain too hard to the gov't frizzle. I've heard that there's a gov't out there that got upset with a group of people causing it trouble...so it shut the electricity off and then started bombing them.

Mate I will make this the last post on this. You are obviously happy to pay anything for your essential services. I assume you are a clean energy supporter? Then you have spent several posts justifying charging me 35-40 cents per kWh for generally coal power & giving me 4.9 cents per kWh for my solar clean energy. If the climate is so important then it should be the other way around. You know it deep down.

I don’t always agree with the frizzle but he’s correct on this. The slashing of the domestic solar feed in tariffs coincided with the doubling of head works charges for commercial developments installing gas tri-generation plants. There was heavy lobbying from electricity producers that were concerned with falling demand in new developments (commercial and domestic) that had a high rate of uptake of onsite electricity generation.

Mate I will make this the last post on this. You are obviously happy to pay anything for your essential services. I assume you are a clean energy supporter? Then you have spent several posts justifying charging me 35-40 cents per kWh for generally coal power & giving me 4.9 cents per kWh for my solar clean energy. If the climate is so important then it should be the other way around. You know it deep down.
I'm not justifying anything. I'm saying I don't have any idea about the price you should be paid for the excess electricity that goes from your house into the grid. And the fact that you haven't answered any of my questions about it suggests that you don't either.

But you're certain that you should be getting paid more and that the government is corrupt because you're not getting what you think you deserve...

You're an average Aussie, you should be getting s**t loads for your electricity. The ******* pricks are ripping you off.

And it's very likely that you're getting underpaid, but it is a left or right thing. Do you get ripped off due to a capitalist system or do you get ripped off due to a government owned electricity firm being really ******* inefficient and slack. I actually like the Chinese way. Majority government owned for profit businesses - electricity is bloody cheap in China and their moving to renewables pretty quickly considering their energy consumption is accelerating like nowhere else in the world.

Last edited:
Well i still wouldnt complain too hard to the gov't frizzle. I've heard that there's a gov't out there that got upset with a group of people causing it trouble...so it shut the electricity off and then started bombing them.
Wel Mark apparently there are many governments worldwide who think bombing civilians is fair game. I don’t agree with that philosophy no matter which side is involved.

I'm not justifying anything. I'm saying I don't have any idea about the price you should be paid for the excess electricity that goes from your house into the grid. And the fact that you haven't answered any of my questions about it suggests that you don't either.

But you're certain that you should be getting paid more and that the government is corrupt because you're not getting what you think you deserve...

You're an average Aussie, you should be getting s*t loads for your electricity. The ****** pricks are ripping you off.
I already told you previously that I’m charged $1 per day on their bullshit charges to cover anything else. It’s a good thing you’re a Collingwood supporter. You would argue black is white rather than admit you may be off the mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I already told you previously that I’m charged $1 per day on their bullshit charges to cover anything else. It’s a good thing you’re a Collingwood supporter. You would argue black is white rather than admit you may be off the mark.
I'm not arguing with the idea that you're probably being underpaid. I'm arguing with your certainty and then assumption of corruption.

I editted my previous post to add this:

it's very likely that you're getting underpaid, but it is a left or right thing. Do you get ripped off due to a capitalist system or do you get ripped off due to a government owned electricity firm being really ******* inefficient and slack. I actually like the Chinese way. Majority government owned for profit businesses - electricity is bloody cheap in China and their moving to renewables pretty quickly considering their energy consumption is accelerating like nowhere else in the world.

Wel Mark apparently there are many governments worldwide who think bombing civilians is fair game. I don’t agree with that philosophy no matter which side is involved.

Especially when you're being bombed. I think it would be a lot of fun to do the bombing. I suppose that's why gov'ts like doing it.

Maybe you can try something different. Do you have any gas under your house? You could FRAC it.

I'm not arguing with the idea that you're probably being underpaid. I'm arguing with your certainty and then assumption of corruption.

it's very likely that you're getting underpaid, but it is a left or right thing. Do you get ripped off due to a capitalist system or do you get ripped off due to a government owned electricity firm being really ******* inefficient and slack. I actually like the Chinese way. Majority government owned for profit businesses - electricity is bloody cheap in China and their moving to renewables pretty quickly considering their energy consumption is accelerating like nowhere else in the world.
No they aren’t moving to renewables quickly.

Another piece of your propaganda SR.... you'll be giving reasons for an invasion of taiwan next

Especially when you're being bombed. I think it would be a lot of fun to do the bombing. I suppose that's why gov'ts like doing it.

Maybe you can try something different. Do you have any gas under your house? You could FRAC it.
Good idea. But I better hurry because my state gestapo _ sorry government is banning it in new homes. So it must be bad right?

Another piece of your propaganda SR.... you'll be giving reasons for an invasion of taiwan next
Mark stop messing with my head. Even when you are taking the piss out of me I like you & giggle uncontrollably.

Your using Baldrick’s cunning plan on me aren’t you?

No they aren’t moving to renewables quickly.

Your link doesn't work. Moving to renewables was bad phrasing - they're upping their renewables at an incredible rate and upping thier uptake of greener technology at an incredible rate, but they're also upping their usage of energy at an incredible rate so overall percentage of coal is still really bloody high. So their building heaps of new coal plants but also building an enormous number of windmills and solar panels, and EV everything. Their becoming richer and thus they're closing the gap on us in terms of electricity usage per person and they have heaps of people. So heaps of coal, but they're spending more on renewables than the rest of the world combined and leading the world in EV technology. Lots of cities have already banned petrol motorbikes and will move to cars before too long. They'll move away from petrol, but that many people with increasing energy usage - I can't see how they have enough wind, water or sun to move away from coal or nuclear. It'll need new technology.

Last edited:
China does heaps of things really badly and obnoxiously, but some things really well.

When the communists took power, it was Taiwan talking One China - they bombarded the mainland with One China propaganda fliers - with the dream of re-unifying as a non-communist state. China has been under the impression that they'd be able to do it gradually and peacefully as heaps of Taiwanese do view themselves as Chinese, but those numbers are diminishing and Xi has his dream of bieng the emporor that returns China to its maximum size. Going to get ugly.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back