All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

Reckless death is just too painful to contemplate in this country. Safety obsession has rendered all known gasses harmless by the time they reach the consumer. You can't shoot yourself for lack of guns. You could eat your body weight in pills and they wouldn't kill you. Driving into a tree or jumping off buildings is the sort of reckless death only real men choose - the sort of men able to hold up their end in a Ford v Holden discussion or its contemporary equivalent.

My only genuine flirtation with reckless death is remaining in my apartment when the fire alarm and 'evacuate, evacuate' alarm sounds and I stay inside. Though I may long to see flames emanating from below licking at the rails of the balcony, eager to enter and make of me a human torch, no such luck. Just an electrical fault or someone who has set off their fire sprinkler using it as a clothes hanger.

jmac70 ain't no boomer. Not unless he is one of those teachers working beyond his use by date.
I was thinking more of a Jim Morrison LSD whilst catching COVID in a moshpit during lockdown type of reckless death.

How did Jim Morrison die?

Is it Maggie who torments jmac70 as his secretly admiring bin lady? - (the porch lady is a new addition to jmac's portfolio of human admirers)
I've watched a lot of movies. We all know where this is going. The conflict, the tension. It's a matter of time before the Bin Lady becomes Jmac's porch lady. Sorry if I've ruined the ending.

I was thinking more of a Jim Morrison LSD whilst catching COVID in a moshpit during lockdown type of reckless death.

How did Jim Morrison die?
Oh, that sort of reckless death! No such luck I'm afraid. Morrison's official death cause was heart failure. Perhaps he was a very clean living man who just had a spot of bad luck with an essential organ about 50 years too early in life.

I've watched a lot of movies. We all know where this is going. The conflict, the tension. It's a matter of time before the Bin Lady becomes Jmac's porch lady. Sorry if I've ruined the ending.
There is no way I would allow the BL anywhere near my porch!

First read it as Bin Laden.

Is this still the politics thread?

It's BigFooty - any thread can morph into anything at anytime - said morphification may be completed by anyone - this includes the much maligned Bin Lady acting in a unilateral manner
Easy for you, you don't need to deal with complaints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The man in the beanie has stolen another 800 hectares of land on the West Bank. Not surprising, it's been happening regularly over the last few years.

His wording is interesting. It gives a fair indication of what he and his fellow right wingers think about a two state solution.

“While there are those in Israel and in the world who seek to undermine our right to Judea and Samaria and the country in general, we promote settlement through hard work and in a strategic manner all over the country,” Smotrich said, using Biblical names for the area of the West Bank that are commonly employed in Israel.

1711199114970.png

THe UN security council has said something. It's worthless. It will be ignored. It would have been better to censure countries for selling arms to israel, or even doing business with it. Money is the currency of morality. It should be used more often.

THe UN security council has said something. It's worthless. It will be ignored. It would have been better to censure countries for selling arms to israel, or even doing business with it. Money is the currency of morality. It should be used more often.

The UN DEMANDS a ceasefire.

For 1 month

Then let the killing recommence

That's step 2 - if they don't follow the resolution - sanctions become the next resolution - which the Yanks veto.

The UN DEMANDS a ceasefire.

For 1 month

Then let the killing recommence

i've read that ramadan is already half finished... the reality is that the palestinians havent got any clout. They're tied to the iranians who are isolated in the middle east and all the elected and unelected officials are just paying some lip service in response to the negative public reaction across the world. There's a few smaller states with strong islamic ties but even those are splits between sunnis and shiites.

No one has any self-interest (financial) in stopping the war.

No wonder the americans let this one go through to the keeper to relieve the public pressure back home. The israelis huff and puff and continue to bomb.

So now we wait another month or two until the US gets its pier built....

That's step 2 - if they don't follow the resolution - sanctions become the next resolution - which the Yanks veto.

as the guy from aljazeera said, the israelis are more concerned about what happens in their support base in the US gov't. Thats been built up over decades. We are just seeing window-dressing.

i've read that ramadan is already half finished... the reality is that the palestinians havent got any clout. They're tied to the iranians who are isolated in the middle east and all the elected and unelected officials are just paying some lip service in response to the negative public reaction across the world. There's a few smaller states with strong islamic ties but even those are splits between sunnis and shiites.

No one has any self-interest (financial) in stopping the war.

No wonder the americans let this one go through to the keeper to relieve the public pressure back home. The israelis huff and puff and continue to bomb.

So now we wait another month or two until the US gets its pier built....
It started mid March - so would be half finished by now.

It started mid March - so would be half finished by now.

well i dont think anyone expected to be taken notice of....I would think the UN folk will be having a wine and slapping themselves on the back for saying the right things.

I expect the blinken will get the israeli medal sometime in the future for his services. He's done a sterling job. All he has to do now is allow the israelis to take over gaza and creep through judea and samaria...

More about the Polls in Israel

38% of Israelis want to re-establish israeli settlements in Gaza. Admittedly half dont, but over a third want it

72% of Israelis want humanitarian aid stopped until the hostages are returned. So its not just Netinyahoo

Dont believe the hype that it's Netinyahoo who is the sole aggressor in Israel because he wants to stay out of jail. Large sections of the israeli society love to see the Palestinians punished and they dont want them back, if there's any left over, that is.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/almos...val-of-jewish-settlements-in-gaza-poll-finds/

I think the UN ceasefire is the beginning of the end for Israel,I think Israel has lost all support it had in Europe except for Jewish minorities there.

I think the Israeli govt is now completely out of control and it is hard to see who else could take over but Netanyahu is now openly showing his Homicidal tendencies and I think even the Americans are starting to worry about how it will all end, the only hope for Israel now is if they can start a war with Iran. Watch this space on this one because the Americans will probably joined them and expect Aus and UK to joined in also.

The Israeli majority may be supporting the Genocide now and I think there is no doubt now about what Israel,s true intentions were and the populace supported them. Most of those are dual citizens from other countries and will end up back in those countries but Netanyahu being who he is and his state of mind could even go Nuclear I would put nothing past him.

I think it has dawned on American who really is the most dangerous man in the middle east and they have to be careful to not be seen as another Pariah state because there is no question they have lost a lot of influence because of this.

To think the choice for Americans in 6 mths time is between 2 crazy 80+ yrs old is something that does bear thinking about, the leader of the free world christ we are in trouble ( I was going to say almost as much as Collingwood ATM).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back