All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

China does heaps of things really badly and obnoxiously, but some things really well.

When the communists took power, it was Taiwan talking One China - they bombarded the mainland with One China propaganda fliers - with the dream of re-unifying as a non-communist state. China has been under the impression that they'd be able to do it gradually and peacefully as heaps of Taiwanese do view themselves as Chinese, but those numbers are diminishing and Xi has his dream of bieng the emporor that returns China to its maximum size. Going to get ugly.

You'll be happy to know that I subscribe to the Beijing Review and this month's copy has a nice article by yourself, laying out the outstanding work that the chinese gov't has done for the Uygurs. Evidently, their income doubled over the course of a decade. The nasty West "wielded the club of human rights" etc etc. You write well. Page 22. The party will be pleased.

Mark stop messing with my head. Even when you are taking the piss out of me I like you & giggle uncontrollably.

Your using Baldrick’s cunning plan on me aren’t you?

I do have that effect on women but I'm guessing you're not a woman...

Balddick was used by the christian brothers but not on myself, thankfully.

Good idea. But I better hurry because my state gestapo _ sorry government is banning it in new homes. So it must be bad right?

Be careful with using those trigger words from the past, Friz.... We dont make comparisons between governments and the friendly germans of WW2, even if those governments wipe out entire cities. That's just the rule.

You'll be happy to know that I subscribe to the Beijing Review and this month's copy has a nice article by yourself, laying out the outstanding work that the chinese gov't has done for the Uygurs. Evidently, their income doubled over the course of a decade. The nasty West "wielded the club of human rights" etc etc. You write well. Page 22. The party will be pleased.
It was a good article wasn't it. I was promoting cultural tourism - and the opportunity to see Uyghurs in their traditional dress, living their traditional lifestyle.

1711146361593.png

It was a good article wasn't it. I was promoting cultural tourism - and the opportunity to see Uyghurs in their traditional dress, living their traditional lifestyle.

Those uygies are so well organised. I love how they like to line up so neatly. No wonder the rest of china wants to see them online with those cameras in all their streets.

I see strong parallels between the love felt by the chinese for the uyghurs and the israelis for the palestinians. Its a small world after all.

One day the chinese might have a similar relationship with us aussies.

Is your lone concern with renewable energy what financial gain you can individually squeeze from it?

self interest.... its the sole driver of humanity. Its why capitalism is so successful and probably why christianity is on the wane, except for evangelicals who have embraced capitalism for the benefits that it brings.

mossad has got to you too eh.... zev wants to bomb my house. He says that hamas has a tunnel underneath it. I dont even tell the centrelink people my address... i collect my cheque at the post office
Well you will just have to live in muck.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well that seems to be the attitude of many effluent people who have access to good government services....
This is what we had when we first came to Australia, consider yourself lucky.

Same guy who delivered ice, bread and milk also took effluent away. (Fortunately not on same day).

2024-03-23_122038.jpg

This is what we had when we first came to Australia, consider yourself lucky.

Same guy who delivered ice, bread and milk also took effluent away. (Fortunately not on same day).

View attachment 1936828
And the bloke collecting the full tin and carrying it out on his head, with us kids making jokes about the bottom falling out and the effluence consuming his entire body with foul stench and filth. At least on a cold winter's day there was little prospect of having to wait outside while the current occupier feasted on a book or a newspaper. Get in, get it done, and get it out is where most sensible heads were at. In the poorer homes, the toilet paper doubled as arse wiper and reading material. Those indeed were the days.

The ludicrous situation at the UN gets even more frustrating.

Although I might understand Russia's and China's stated position in opposing the US resolution, we can only think of the limited affect previous UN resolutions have had on nations involved in conflict, and just use the UN to send a message. I wonder what the leaderships of all the countries involved would do if their children and extended families were dying.

If an alternative resolution is now put forward to the security council, it is likely that the US will again reject it and this outcome will effectively be supporting what the israelis want to do and that is to starve the palestinians.

I've had trouble watching netinyahoo for the course of this war, because he just makes my skin crawl. The same is now true for Blinken who wimpishly says the same thing time after time after time. Hasn't he heard the story of the boy crying wolf? The US election is a long way off and it's going to be difficult for the US to stand by the israeli's behaviour for that period. The question is whether biden is willing to sacrifice himself for the zionist cause. Of course, self interest would say no, but you never know what offers and threats are made behind closed doors.

If you were really inclusive you would have added jmac70's porch - shame!
His porch is part of his property portfolio, however, I suspect he's a bit young to be a boomer.

Maybe just: Tales of hardship from part of our property portfolio.

So our hardships are:
Porch lady
Maggie's dunny dramas
Solar powered trauma
TGG being stopped from reckless death

Last edited:
His porch is part of his property portfolio, however, I suspect he's a bit young to be a boomer.

So our hardships are:
Porch lady
Maggie's dunny dramas
Solar powered trauma
It is scary sitting in one of those with red back spiders and god knows what else when you are only 3.

So our hardships are:
Porch lady
Maggie's dunny dramas
Solar powered trauma
Is it Maggie who torments jmac70 as his secretly admiring bin lady? - (the porch lady is a new addition to jmac's portfolio of human admirers)

So our hardships are:
Porch lady
Maggie's dunny dramas
Solar powered trauma
Reckless death is just too painful to contemplate in this country. Safety obsession has rendered all known gasses harmless by the time they reach the consumer. You can't shoot yourself for lack of guns. You could eat your body weight in pills and they wouldn't kill you. Driving into a tree or jumping off buildings is the sort of reckless death only real men choose - the sort of men able to hold up their end in a Ford v Holden discussion or its contemporary equivalent.

My only genuine flirtation with reckless death is remaining in my apartment when the fire alarm and 'evacuate, evacuate' alarm sounds and I stay inside. Though I may long to see flames emanating from below licking at the rails of the balcony, eager to enter and make of me a human torch, no such luck. Just an electrical fault or someone who has set off their fire sprinkler using it as a clothes hanger.

jmac70 ain't no boomer. Not unless he is one of those teachers working beyond his use by date.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back