• Julie Bishop

• Scott Morrison

• Andrew Robb

• Someone from the LIberal Party other than those above

• Bill Shorten

• Someone from the Labor Party other than Shorten

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

What we need is another press conference in front of more flags by the head of AFP warning us of intelligence of a terrorist attack or successfully diffusing one. It has been at least three weeks since we have told to be very afraid.
Look under your bed for terrorists daily. It's your national duty.

Look under your bed for terrorists daily. It's your national duty.

I think you might be showing your age there sherb, pig iron bob loved the good old reds under the beds. It's the only policy that the liberal/ national ever had, only difference now is there muzzos.
It's truly unbelievable considering the west has inflamed the whole thing with corrupt foreign policies.

Give us all a good laugh and tell us the "real reason".

Clearly you are one of these special chaps with insight into everything.

No my friend I know that I know very little.

But I do know that Abbott is taking this course down the national security road because he feels it's his best chance of winning the next federal election. It's the only issue (two if you can bundle in asylum seekers/Border Force) where he can appeal to the worst in people, scare them so they vote for the Coalition.

Perhaps we could kill to birds with one stone. If the perpetrators of domestic violence are so tough and brave, perhaps they can be volunteered to combat Isis.

Heard worse ideas!

In a serious note, domestic violence is a massive issue and should be a priority of the states.

The Feds need to be part of the solution - it's a decent old slap in the face to the current Australian of the Year.

There's many worlds of difference from "hey, ABC, don't put a bloke with that record and those public statements on to make a point about government policy when someone else could do it for you; how could you exercise such poor judgement" to what you are suggesting. While the boycott is self-defeating, it's not a restriction of speech.

If Mr Joyce submits to a wish of his Prime Minister, I would suggest it bloody looks like he has the authority.

Seems to be some disagreement on what freedom of speech really means. Does it mean legality of speech, or that all speech should be treated equally by everyone?

Anyway, pretty inflammatory language that is generally unhelpful, but not uncommon, around these parts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can someone keep score of how many dissenters are gaoled?

I sense this is bullshit beat up but happy to stand corrected with the facts.
Probably not too many people will be jailed at all.

Because that isn't really the aim of the legislation. The aim is to scare witless the people working in the coalface so they won't report any abuses that they see.

It's all about keeping people quiet. And threats of jail time are the means of achieving that.

There's many worlds of difference from "hey, ABC, don't put a bloke with that record and those public statements on to make a point about government policy when someone else could do it for you; how could you exercise such poor judgement" to what you are suggesting. While the boycott is self-defeating, it's not a restriction of speech.

If Mr Joyce submits to a wish of his Prime Minister, I would suggest it bloody looks like he has the authority.

Seems to be some disagreement on what freedom of speech really means. Does it mean legality of speech, or that all speech should be treated equally by everyone?

Anyway, pretty inflammatory language that is generally unhelpful, but not uncommon, around these parts.
I really don't understand where you are going with your post in this thread.

Are you suggesting that Mr Joyce would be jailed if he went on Q & A?

When asked today at the press club why he had done so he replied, "It is by deference to the Prime Minister that when an instruction comes through, it is obeyed.".

Barnaby Joyce is not a member of the Liberal Party, he is the Deputy Leader of the National Party and as such, Tony Abbott does not have the authority to direct him, a member of another political party, to not appear at a public forum.

joyce's statement does not support your assertion. joyce made the choice to defer to the wishes of his PM. he could have just as easily told tony to sod off. clearly joyce feels tony does possess a certain amount of authority over him. that's really a matter between joyce and tony.

Barnaby Joyce has reneged to appear on Q&A after he stated his intentions to do so on yesterday's "Insiders" program.

When asked today at the press club why he had done so he replied, "It is by deference to the Prime Minister that when an instruction comes through, it is obeyed.".

Barnaby Joyce is not a member of the Liberal Party, he is the Deputy Leader of the National Party and as such, Tony Abbott does not have the authority to direct him, a member of another political party, to not appear at a public forum.

This is but another example of our Prime Minister's complete disregard for the conventions of our form of government and the conventions and traditions of Parliament. This of itself is deplorable but to also seek to circumvent the moral and ethical imperatives that members of the medical profession are bound too by way of making it a criminal offence for these highly respected members of our community to report the abhorrent behaviour of adults who interfere with children, is reprehensible and he should be condemned.

His complete lack of shame in demanding that the fourth estate cease being independent and instead, perform the functions of a state broadcaster in the tradition of Pravda is grotesque. His rabid advocacy of the need to dispense with one of the most fundamental pillars of our great democracy, that is, the separation of powers between the state and the judiciary is akin to the powers vested in the evil dictators of the Soviet Union and the Third Reich.

The ABC ? jeff Kennett beat him to it by at least a decade

joyce's statement does not support your assertion. joyce made the choice to defer to the wishes of his PM. he could have just as easily told tony to sod off. clearly joyce feels tony does possess a certain amount of authority over him. that's really a matter between joyce and tony.

Standard cabinet solidarity I would have thought. Whether Malcolm conforms is much more interesting.

Punter, Mr. Joyce is the deputy leader of the National Party. Abbott can't tell him where and when he can appear on telli or any other place, surely?

It would be like Gillard telling Windsor "don't you go on that show!" or telling one of the Greens to shut their gob.

That's what makes Joyce and the National's such a joke.

How times have changed. It used to be that the National tail used to wag the Liberal Party but since Howard purged the Liberal Party of the liberals and Abbott has assumed control, the "liberal" Party have gone so far to the right of the Nationals that they, the Nationals, don't dare stand up to the Grand Vizier.

Unfortunately for true liberals, the grand old Liberal Party that they romanticise about, doesn't exist any longer.

That's what makes Joyce and the National's such a joke.

How times have changed. It used to be that the National tail used to wag the Liberal Party but since Howard purged the Liberal Party of the liberals and Abbott has assumed control, the "liberal" Party have gone so far to the right of the Nationals that they, the Nationals, don't dare stand up to the Grand Vizier.

Unfortunately Punter, the grand old Liberal Party that you romanticise about, doesn't exist any longer.

i don't disagree with any of that however i don't feel it supports your OP or thread title. you do what the PM asks you to do, coz he's the PM. at least until you knife him anyway ;)

i don't disagree with any of that however i don't feel it supports your OP or thread title. you do what the PM asks you to do, coz he's the PM. at least until you knife him anyway ;)
The title thread and the supporting piece that I wrote is not just about Joyce and Q&A. I argue and it is only an argument, that Abbott is slowly succeeding in getting for himself the kind of authority that is a real threat to our democracy and Joyce cowering away from a television appearance because Abbott was not agreeable to it, shows how far Abbott's authority seems to extend.

Joyce is not a Liberal Party member and he represents the National Party in a coalition with the Liberals.

Back