Portfolio Alternate History AFL (by craegus) 5 year anniversary

Vote for the location that should be the 20th team to enter the AFL (one vote only, cannot change)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Care to elaborate on your Gold Coast claim? I can think of one team that had a short life span (GC United). The Suns and Titans are going fairly well, drugs issues aside.
Sorry for the late reply, it didn't worry me by the way. This is only a speculation.

The Golden Boys

Gold Coast saw a large amount of success making multiple finals appearances during their short history in the AFL, and as such made only slight changes to their uniforms (adding an extra stripe and having them stop below the sponsor on the back) when the new template came into existance.

Gold%20Coast%20Dolphins%20Home%20Alt%20History_zpsciryh1gb.png

Gold%20Coast%20Dolphins%20Clash%20Alt%20History_zps0li5q0dx.png

and with that there is just one team to go....

Well I was wrong with the Gold Coast situation.

You were, well you actually weren't, because until you made your initial guess of Gold Coast folding and a new Sydney team being created, that was exactly what was going to happen, but after that I changed my line of thinking.

Better be West Perth

You will have to wait and see.

Looks great :thumbsu:
What program do you use for these?
Thanks

Photoshop.

You were, well you actually weren't, because until you made your initial guess of Gold Coast folding and a new Sydney team being created, that was exactly what was going to happen, but after that I changed my line of thinking.

You will have to wait and see.

Photoshop.
I thought it was going to be a bit obvious. It was a reference to "feel free to fire onto these speculations." Sorry, Craegus.

A little tease.

13 June 2011

BREAKING NEWS

The Western Australian Football League and its member clubs have begun legal action against the West Perth Falcons and the AFL in regards to what they claim was an unlawful entry by the Falcons into the AFL.........

Another tease.

24 July 2011

A yearly playoff?

Mediation between the AFL/West Perth and the WAFL continues with sources close to the situation claiming that the WAFL are suggesting that the West Perth club face a yearly playoff against the WAFL Champions with the winner being promoted to the AFL for the following season.....

Final teaser.

15 August 2011

BREAKING NEWS

West Perth out of AFL

With the mediation between the WAFL and the AFL/West Perth Falcons breaking down and returned to court in the last week the court has ruled that the West Perth franchise was unlawfully entered into the AFL. No party has yet spoken about this ruling but for now the West Perth Falcons will not be part of the AFL next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One final shot

West Perth were out of the AFL at the end of the 2011 season. A legal challenge was made by the WAFL and its member clubs which showed that the West Perth Falcons had signed a binding contract to play in the WAFL competition which meant that the club was ineligible to enter the AFL. The AFL and West Perth tried to mediate with the WAFL and their clubs but when the later wanted a yearly playoff to determine the final spot in the AFL talks quickly broke down and the presiding judge quickly handed down the decision that West Perth were to be removed from the AFL and would have to honour their contract with the WAFL.

So that left the AFL with a massive predicament, it was August by the time the final outcome of the court case was handed down which meant that their was just over 6 months to establish a new team for the 2012 season to meet their broadcasting deal. So what would they do? Sydney was an option after North Melbourne moved from the city, or replacing the Falcons with another team in Perth.

The AFL decided that financially and logistically that a replacement team in Perth would be the best option in the short amount of time that they had.

The league recieved 2 bids, one from the WAFL who proposed a combined representative team, and one from a group of long time fans and investors of the West Perth Falcons who had put together a bid for an independent club separate from the Falcons that would not share a name or the exact same colours as the former AFL and current WAFL team.

After a short period of investigation the AFL decided to admit the second bid and so were born the Western Eagles.

The club announced that it would wear a predominantly red guernsey but to keep their distance from the Falcons chose sky blue and charcoal as their other colours. The guernseys were well recieved when revealed with the Home being the promised red and the clash being predominantly sky blue with both featuring a pattern based on wings and the clubs new logo on the front in charcoal and sky on the home and charcoal and red on the clash, and finally a double shoulder and side panel design.

Western%20Eagles%20Home_zps42o8yrc5.png

Western%20Eagles%20Clash_zpsne8kurjb.png

And there we have it, all 18 AFL clubs playing in the 2015 AFL Premiership....

Last edited:
Excellent work craegus, loving the Gold Coast colours.

Does it allow streaming to desktops, or would I still need to get that crappy AFL Live Pass if I wanted it?

Does it allow streaming to desktops, or would I still need to get that crappy AFL Live Pass if I wanted it?

I am not too sure about the details, I only get bits and pieces from the alternate timeline, not everything. That is why many update posts only have parts of the story not the whole thing.

And the winner is...

The new AFL media deal secured the opportunity for expansion with the league within days of revealing the deal announcing that they had been taking bids for expansion franchises for over a year and were in the process of finalising which two teams would enter the league in 2018.

The first of these bids which was accepted allowed the league to reclaim a region that was lost when North Melbourne returned to the league. That region was of course Sydney. The bid team for the Sydney franchise wanted a team that represented the city and had close ties to the residents so that the distrust that existed in the community could be eased early.

This connection however did bring some animosity from the ACT Rams when the Sydney team announced that it would wear the colours of Sydney which were blue, yellow and white which of course was also the colours of the Rams. This rivalry will be sure to continue as the AFL allowed the colours as Sydney was to wear a far lighter blue compared to the Rams.

The new club also continued to continue with linking themselves to the city of Sydney by deciding to wear part of the city's coat of arms on their guernsey and calling themselves the Mariners based on the harbour and the maritime history of the city.

The team also announced a new kit supplier to the league in Le Coq Sportif and with that came a simple yet modern design featuring the City of Sydney's anchor and castle from the logo on the front of the guernsey and a unique side panel design.

Sydney%20Mariners%20Home_zpsxwqewssk.png

Sydney%20Mariners%20Clash_zps9gafet6r.png

And the winner is...

The new AFL media deal secured the opportunity for expansion with the league within days of revealing the deal announcing that they had been taking bids for expansion franchises for over a year and were in the process of finalising which two teams would enter the league in 2018.

The first of these bids which was accepted allowed the league to reclaim a region that was lost when North Melbourne returned to the league. That region was of course Sydney. The bid team for the Sydney franchise wanted a team that represented the city and had close ties to the residents so that the distrust that existed in the community could be eased early.

This connection however did bring some animosity from the ACT Rams when the Sydney team announced that it would wear the colours of Sydney which were blue, yellow and white which of course was also the colours of the Rams. This rivalry will be sure to continue as the AFL allowed the colours as Sydney was to wear a far lighter blue compared to the Rams.

The new club also continued to continue with linking themselves to the city of Sydney by deciding to wear part of the city's coat of arms on their guernsey and calling themselves the Mariners based on the harbour and the maritime history of the city.

The team also announced a new kit supplier to the league in Le Coq Sportif and with that came a simple yet modern design featuring the City of Sydney's anchor and castle from the logo on the front of the guernsey and a unique side panel design.

Are you sure you havent been peeking at my laptop? Ive had a similarish design to this for a while, waiting to use it.

Yours has a much better execution though. Great work :thumbsu:

And the winner is...

#ReturnTheAnchor

Taking it to the fans.

The AFL made a bold move when it came to deciding the 20th and final franchise to be selected for expansion. The decision to place a team in Sydney was an easy decision, however the pros and cons of all the other bids was not as easy a task with bids coming in from areas with teams already in the league, as well as from new regions and even from international consortiums, so the AFL chose to take it to the fans to see what their opinion of where the 20th team should be placed and promised to use this data to make the final decision.

The AFL created a poll that only consisted of the bids locations, deliberately excluding the full team name, colours and logos as to not make the poll biased towards popular names or having fans vote against teams because of their chosen colours.

The poll consisted of the following locations (in alphabetical order);

Adelaide - North-Eastern suburbs (SA)
Auckland (New Zealand)
Darwin (NT)
Far North Queensland
Fremantle (WA)
Japan
Newcastle (NSW)
North Queensland/Northern Territory
Pacific Region
Sunshine Coast (Qld)

And the chosen team from this poll was.............

Not so fast, before I present to you the team that was selected, lets see if people on here have the same opinions as from the alternate universe. So with that being said I have added a poll to this thread with the 10 possible locations for you to vote on. When the poll closes we will see if the two sides actually agree or if the alternate universe is just that.

You have just a single vote and cannot change it once it is cast, so make it count.

Last edited:
Back