Past Amon Buchanan (2010-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

This game was fairly typical of his time in Brisbane. Got into some good positions and looked dangerous, then undid all the good work by fluffing it up at the end.

Buchanan + Hawksley = Ressies Premiership!

Kinda has a Fitzroy 89 Reserves GF ring to it with a few outgoing senior players ending their career in that manner, although the Roys had quite a few boys that had played well over 100 games and 5+ years and over the age of 30 unlike our current seconds players who are mostly kids.

Credit where it's due. So many players with Amons CV would've spat the dummy if they'd had the run up here that he has. He took on the role of mentor to the kids in the 2's, almost in the player/coach mold. He set a magnificent example, never giving less than what he had in the tank. He embraced the role asked of him and set the standard. A true clubman, and deserves a flag with the 2's. If we pull it off it'll be, in no small part, due to his contribution. Thanks for your service Amon.

Credit where it's due. So many players with Amons CV would've spat the dummy if they'd had the run up here that he has. He took on the role of mentor to the kids in the 2's, almost in the player/coach mold. He set a magnificent example, never giving less than what he had in the tank. He embraced the role asked of him and set the standard. A true clubman, and deserves a flag with the 2's. If we pull it off it'll be, in no small part, due to his contribution. Thanks for your service Amon.

I'm in whole hearted agreement with you Haggis. Due to netball I've not been able to get to see the 2's this season but everytime I look at the reserves highlights on the Lions website Amon is front and centre, working his butt off and directing the younger players. I though it was fitting that he was brought into the team on Sunday and appreciated the opportunity to thank and applaud him for his efforts for the club.

I've been fortunate enough to meet Amon, and two of his brothers Micah and Callum, and must say that they are three of the nicest fellows you could meet. I think we've been very lucky to have had someone of his character and mettle at our club and will be delighted for him if the Ressies get home in the GF.

Agree 100% with the above. Never gave less than he could and was marvellous with the kids. I'd be happy if he was kept in some sort of mentoring role.

Buchanan has voice of experience
September 13, 2012
Greg Davis

RETIRING Brisbane Lion Amon Buchanan went to the AFL's big dance twice during his decade-long career.

And he hopes his grand final experience with Sydney in 2005 and 2006 will help the Lions reserves overcome Northern Territory in Sunday's NEAFL northern conference decider at Yeronga.

Buchanan, 29, made his AFL debut in 2002 and went on to play 134 senior games, 116 with the Swans (2002-2009) and 18 with Brisbane (2010-2012), including 11 finals.

751073-amon-buchanan.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amon Buchanan 2012 End of Season Review
by kharis

2011 review

Senior games: 1
Goals: 0
Dreamteam: 56
Supercoach: 64
Club Best and Fairest votes: 1
NEAFL games: 12 (14 goals)

7991541168_05d20e3957_z.jpg

Image (2012 NEAFL Northern Conference Grand Final) courtesy of Jorgo

Summary of his season:
Amon started his 11th AFL season doing everything possible in the pre-season to put his name forward for a Senior’s berth including running a personal best in the club's 3km time trial – no mean feat for someone in the twilight of their career.

When interviewed at the beginning of the season he said:
"(It's the) last year coming up on the contract so it's got to be a big year for me. I've had a good pre-season so hopefully I can get in early, play some good footy. I think success for the team is a big thing too. If you get in and the team's going well, that's the main thing, it makes it easy to play well. I've just got to get in and get my hands on the nut, win a bit of footy, kick a few goals; it's pretty simple."

However this simple plan fell on rocky times when he developed Patella tendonitis and was unable to play a reserves match until Saturday May 5 Round 7 vs Aspley. He collect 19 disposals and 1 goal and used his bulky frame to great effect breaking tackles.

In his third game back from injury against the UWS Giants, Amon stood out with 38 possessions, doing especially well in the second half and kIcking 2 goals for the game.

Amon was listed as an emergency for the seniors for Round 13 (21/6), Round 16 (12/7) and Round 17. However in Round 17 while playing the first half against the Gold Coast Suns Reserves, he “twisted his knee in such a fashion that suggested he might be in a bit of strife when scans reveal the extent of the damage”

This injury although not season ending kept him out of football for almost a month. On returning he played a further 3 reserves games, before being again selected as an emergency for the seniors’ final match of the season.

In a late team change Josh Drummond was replaced in the selected side by Amon Buchanan.
This gave Amon his farewell match and all at the game guessed that he may be retiring as he was clapped from the ground by his team mates. His retirement was announced at the Lions Club Champion dinner.

His single game for the seniors was best summed up by a informed observer:
"typical of his time in Brisbane. Got into some good positions and looked dangerous, then undid all the good work by fluffing it up at the end."

In all Amon played 12 games of the regular NEAFL, kicked 14 goals and was named in the Lions’ best players 6 times.

Voss’ comments at the Lions Club Champion dinner gave us some insight into how the club has viewed Amon during his time at the Lions
"Amon Buchanan has been a wonderful servant of the football club. In three seasons, when you look at Amon's contribution, it's probably fair to say that he's had a bigger impact on the Brisbane Lions than his 18 senior games might suggest. His wealth of AFL experience, his courage, and his commitment has earned the genuine respect of everyone at the Gabba. For the past two seasons in particular, he's led the way for the Lions Reserves side. Despite playing for the Reserves, he never, ever, dropped his guard at any stage and was always searching to make sure he got the best from himself. This year's he's helped guide the team to their first Grand Final appearance in more than 10 years. It's fair to say that when we embarked on a campaign at the end of 2010 to install a new culture and set of values and behaviours, there's probably no one at our Club that has contributed more to that than Amon behind the scenes. It goes to show that it's not just what you do on the field, but also how you conduct yourself off it."

Shines in the Finals
In the Qualifying Final against Southport on the 25 August Amon was inarguably best afield, collecting 43 possessions, which included 11 inside 50’s, and bagging a brace of goals.

In the NEAFL Grand Final Amon was at his bullocking best. He tackled ferociously and was able to fend off countless would-be tackles, and was able to hit targets with his kicks.

In the NEAFL Championship match, his last as a Lion, Amon was unstoppable through the midfield, gathering possessions at will and going a long way to ensuring the comprehensive win.

Conclusion:
My conclusion from last year's review remains the same:
"However, in spite of Amon's best efforts, I believe the game at the AFL level has passed him by. He is not failing due to a lack of effort as we have seen with some. He simply can no longer get the ability out of himself to play at the level required. His form in the reserves was good enough to earn senior selection, but his senior form wasn't good enough to maintain that selection."

Again Amon demonstrated consistent and sustained effort across the season in the reserves. He was rewarded by being picked as a emergency 4 times and playing in the last of these matches. However his value for the Lions this year came in the reserves, and as Voss alluded too, off the field. Some may argue that this was not enough from an experienced senior player. That point can be argued but IMHO the clear reason he was on the list this year was not his seniors' form but the fact that he was still contracted. Therefore I believe the club got some benefit from this year as stated by Voss and the fact that Amon never stopped applying himself speaks a lot about his character as a clubman.

He retired rather than being de-listed.

Buchanan, 29, made his AFL debut in 2002 and went on to play 134 senior games, 116 with the Swans (2002-2009) and 18 with Brisbane (2010-2012), including 11 finals.

I am really happy that an ex AFL player is going to help lift the standard of the Sydney competition - an important part of making our game truly national. Good onya Monty.

Brisbane Lions' 2009 recruits: Where are they now?

The 2005 Sydney Swans premiership player managed just 18 games over three seasons with the Brisbane Lions. He won a premiership with the Lions reserves in 2012 but retired at the end of that season. Post-retirement, Buchanan became a playing assistant coach with the NEAFL's Sydney Hills Eagles and a Sydney Swans Academy coach. The GWS Giants appointed him as development coach at the end of 2013.

image.imgtype.articleLeadwide.620x349.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back