and for the rest of the year.........

Remove this Banner Ad

We all remember our inglorious 2003 season, only 9 years ago.

Wins were hard to come by that season, and we certainly looked light on in a number of areas, and we probably were carrying too many skinny outside runners at the time, but I do recall seeing glimpses of a game style that would serve us well in future years, a capacity to move the ball lightning quick on the rare occasions we were able to win the footy.

No matter how bad things get, you have to always be on the lookout for these sorts of glimpses that might be windows to a better future.

Are we getting any such glimpses with the dogs right now?

Its quite similiar to '03 with a group of young players and then a group of older players, but in '03 the 99 draft were in their 4th year and hadn't shown as much as Libba, Wallis and Dahlhaus and the '03 team had basically only Lake as talls that came on who knows whether this group of young talls will become good players in the next 3-4 years.

Was happy with tommys efforts going forward although he needs to have a bit more confidence in his kicking if he's going to stay up there.

Its quite similiar to '03 with a group of young players and then a group of older players, but in '03 the 99 draft were in their 4th year and hadn't shown as much as Libba, Wallis and Dahlhaus and the '03 team had basically only Lake as talls that came on who knows whether this group of young talls will become good players in the next 3-4 years.

Good point - Libba and Wallis are way ahead of some of those blokes going into their 4th year.

As for our talls - question marks on all of them - I understand they take time to develop, but by the same token, there are no guarantees at the end of it all.

Over the next few weeks:

Let Jones find form in VFL
Bring Gia back in.
Give Panos at least a shot of 2-3 games at FF.
Promote JJ and give him a turn.
Put Cooney on ice until next year, finally let him get his body right. Place him on LTI. Promote Rookie.
Rotate resting ruck/forward role between Cordy/Roughead/Campbell based on form.
Play Williams at CHF Markovic/Austin to cover CHB until then.
Once Williams finds his feet again and Jones find some form. Jones CHF/Williams CHB.

End result should look something like this:

B: Austin, Lake, Addision
HB: Wood/Hargrave, Williams, Gilbee
C: Cross, Boyd, Wallis
R: Minson, Griffen, Picken
HF: Higgins, Jones, Murphy
F: Gia, Panos, Dal
Int (from): Cordy/Roughead/Campbell, Tutt, JJ, C. Smith, Liberatore, <Cooney replacement>

Over the next few weeks:

Let Jones find form in VFL
Bring Gia back in.
Give Panos at least a shot of 2-3 games at FF.
Promote JJ and give him a turn.
Put Cooney on ice until next year, finally let him get his body right. Place him on LTI. Promote Rookie.
Rotate resting ruck/forward role between Cordy/Roughead/Campbell based on form.
Play Williams at CHF Markovic/Austin to cover CHB until then.
Once Williams finds his feet again and Jones find some form. Jones CHF/Williams CHB.

End result should look something like this:

B: Austin, Lake, Addision
HB: Wood/Hargrave, Williams, Gilbee
C: Cross, Boyd, Wallis
R: Minson, Griffen, Picken
HF: Higgins, Jones, Murphy
F: Gia, Panos, Dal
Int (from): Cordy/Roughead/Campbell, Tutt, JJ, C. Smith, Liberatore, <Cooney replacement>

some good ideas there

We all remember our inglorious 2003 season, only 9 years ago.

Wins were hard to come by that season, and we certainly looked light on in a number of areas, and we probably were carrying too many skinny outside runners at the time, but I do recall seeing glimpses of a game style that would serve us well in future years, a capacity to move the ball lightning quick on the rare occasions we were able to win the footy.

No matter how bad things get, you have to always be on the lookout for these sorts of glimpses that might be windows to a better future.

Are we getting any such glimpses with the dogs right now?

I watched a passage of play on Sunday, where Libba, and Wallis completely, and I mean completely outplayed Sam Mitchell and Sewell, with 5 quick handballs around them, Mitchell didn't know what to do because they were so quick. and skilful. it is so true what many watchers said about these two, when they played junior footy, they instinctively know where the other one is, it was such a good passage of play.

Another moment, that also happened right in front, was when Dahl speeded up and intercepted a handball from a hawthorn player, he got tackled, and they tried to rough him up when he was on the ground, because you could see they were so pissed off, but so quick and so skilful, unfortunately, these little moments of brilliance are not linking up yet, but when they do - wow.

I just hope to see further improvement from all of our youngsters. Give the untried ones a go and see where they are at. Play some players in different positions and see what happens. Williams looked good as a lead up forward play him there again have a look. Howard didn't look so good deep, so play him upfield. Bring in Panos and try Williams in the ruck. rotate cordy, roughead and Campbell on form. I think they can all take a grab, but i really feel for them, there is no team to bring it on slower than us and the poor kids have 2 on them every time, only the likes of Buddy or Cloke can outmark 2 blokes consistently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back