Anti-AFL thread - post here

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did?

Thanks

I am actually a melbourne league fan. I have always lived here in victoria, and since the Storm came into the competition, my freinds and I have taken to supporting Melbourne and the Broncos.

We are Storm season ticket holders

Thanks for the Union\League divide info!

Go you Rabbitohs!

ok double post big deal

i am launching a reputation attack on all AFL posting members who come to the league board. i dont care if its a merged thread, whatever.

******** off.

:eek:

nineteen eighty said:
Cut it out RLS....you surely must be winding up the AFL boys. RL has its fair share of dramas as does AFL as does Premier League as does cricket. The only one I can't think of is Rugby.

Each sport goes through its moments and right now, both RL and AFL are coping a caning. They will both rebound and continue for ever and a day. There's no need to bag a code...they're all good and each has their place.

Yawnyawn has no drams because it has no relevance to Australians.

So why did Richard Colless a couple of weeks ago on Melbourne Radio say that he admits the Swans - 'National' AFL team in Auatralia's biggest City - are Sydneys FOURTH code?

"Oh Mickey what a pity you dont understand. Its guys like YOU mickey."

BuffaloRules said:
Theres not much that the Aussie league team can do about the quality of the opposition ( although you may be surprised at the results of the tri nations later this year..)

At least the League players can represent their country in their sport....

I feel sorry for all the fantastic AFL players over the last 100 years who could never aspire to this personal achievement....

You follow the Buffalo Bills in the NFL. Their players also do not get the right to represent their countries. Does it weaken the NFL as a product; no it doesn't?I feel the AFL should be seen in the same light.

Even if the International Rules concept is starting to develop from something seen as a bit of a kick and giggle into something pretty interesting in its own right.

JF

nicko18 said:
I agree.

mastercard_4girls.jpg

With this lot, who cares what sports you follow and fighting about the better sport.

Nice. :D

Mark Rudd said:
So why did Richard Colless a couple of weeks ago on Melbourne Radio say that he admits the Swans - 'National' AFL team in Auatralia's biggest City - are Sydneys FOURTH code?

"Oh Mickey what a pity you dont understand. Its guys like YOU mickey."
Complete fabrication.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: NRL.....a joke

E.A. said:
What an eloquent argument you put forward tim. Eloquent for an Orang-u-tan anyway.

Collingwood v Sydney. What was the crowd? From memory, it was 70,000 odd. Nice. What were the TV ratings in Sydney and Brisbane on that match?

You can't find the ratings, because it didn't rate.

Rugby League isn't going anywhere and AFL is hanging on in Sydney and Brisbane only because the Swans and the Lions/Bears are successful at the moment.

When the "relocation allowance" is dropped and those two sides have to work from the same base as the Victorian teams, the slide will happen. And the fans who go to the matches will find something more exciting to do with their time. Probably learn Macrame.

And learn how to spell you Donkey.

Yes, there have been consessions, and they may not last forever, but I think they will last for a while. The AFL is not stupid, they know there is still work to be done. The Rugby League also gives concessions to the Melbourne Storm, and even a premiership and Molly Meldrum's efforts have not helped to lift their profile in Victoria.

I agree that a couple of bad years for the Swans could undo anything achieved recently, but I think AFL in Queensland is a different story.
Both teams basically started off on the wrong foot. Despite effectively starting as a poorly managemed Gold Coast team, Brisbane have benefitted greatly from dumping the "Bears" moniker and all associations with the 80s. AFL has always been "around" in Queensland, despite being a minor player when the Broncos and Maroons were doing so well.
The Lions are now in the box seat financially. Any club that charges $700 for memberships and still gets over 30,000 members, and charges $40 entry for home and away games and still gets over 30,000 people a game every single week and sells out most of their games has to be taken seriously. The Gabba has been redeveloped more times than I can remember over the last 10 year, and I can tell you that it is not through cricket. Queensland cricket owes the AFL a lot for the success of the venue. The state now has some of the best football infrastructure in the country.
I don't think that a few years of bad on-field performance will have any effect on their sponsorship money or ability to run a successful club. AFL in Brisbane is growing and is definately there to stay. The Lions may put in a few mediocre years, but even when they weren't making the finals, they were still able to draw 25,000 + crowds and crowds were growing each year. As long as Leigh Matthews stays on board as a coach, he will squeeze 100% of potential out of every player. Without a game every week, footy fans will keep turning up in droves, even if it is to see the opposition team play. Essendon and Collingwood games will always sell out in Brisbane no matter how badly Brisvegas are doing, so now that the Gabba has been redeveloped you can count on at least 2 games with 42,000 spectators each year. They also have around 15-20,000 Fitzroy fans based in Melbourne and now have a new legion of kids around the country that became "bandwagoners" as well.
I disagree that AFL doesn't get a mention anywhere but Brisbane. Support for the code on the Gold Coast is almost 50%. The Southport Sharks are an on-field and off-field powerhouse aussie rules club that have been pushing for entry into the AFL for nearly as long as Brisbane have been there. Support in Cairns and FNQ is also great. Canberra and Riverina in NSW/ACT also have a solid AFL supporter base.
Rugby League will remain an important part of QLD culture, and SOO games are a big success, however Rugby Leagues biggest threat in QLD is not AFL, but Union and Soccer, which like AFL are getting stronger all the time, especially union mainly because of the International tests and sometimes gets media preference.

The Swans crowds have been more fickle. When they do well, they get huge crowds. When they are not doing so well, the fans dissapear.
Games at Telstra stadium is a huge boost for big game atmosphere, but they do need a lot of work to be done. The AFL needs to get a foothold in regional cities like Newcastle, Woolongong and Canberra. Which is a big ask as AFL doesn't rate on TV. No doubt the Swans and AFL are in for the long haul in Sydney.

In any case, I don't think that TV ratings are the best measure. Couch potatoes will watch whatever they are spoonfed. There is really not that much choice with only 5 free-to-air channels. General trends around the world show that people are too lazy to watch a sport that they don't understand, and hence TV stations don't take the gamble to play them on prime time. This in turn makes it hard for any new sports to make headway in a Television dominated world. As long as Rugby League is the media's darling in these states, other codes will still struggle.
I think the real measure is both "awareness" and "participation" in the sport, which includes watching and playing the game on a regular basis. This is where AFL is achieving exponentially. Even if participation is low, noone can dispute that most Sydney people are now aware of AFL. Even anti-AFL sentiment is much better than not knowing AFL exists at all. Even in New Zealand, AFL is starting to be noticed but also getting some participation.

I don't think Rugby League is dying, but it is failing to be noticed anywhere but QLD and NSW and New Zealand. It got some hype in the SuperLeague days with its marketing machine, but people in the SuperLeague states of Perth (Reds), Adelaide (Rams), Gold Coast (Chargers) and Melbourne (Storm) eventually saw that it was all hype has all but died out.

Nor do I think that AFL is all-conquering. You can't ignore the sheer population of QLD and NSW and New Zealand. They are also huge tourist destinations.

fishmonger said:
Yes, there have been consessions, and they may not last forever, but I think they will last for a while. The AFL is not stupid, they know there is still work to be done. The Rugby League also gives concessions to the Melbourne Storm, and even a premiership and Molly Meldrum's efforts have not helped to lift their profile in Victoria.

I agree that a couple of bad years for the Swans could undo anything achieved recently, but I think AFL in Queensland is a different story.
Both teams basically started off on the wrong foot. Despite effectively starting as a poorly managemed Gold Coast team, Brisbane have benefitted greatly from dumping the "Bears" moniker and all associations with the 80s. AFL has always been "around" in Queensland, despite being a minor player when the Broncos and Maroons were doing so well.
The Lions are now in the box seat financially. Any club that charges $700 for memberships and still gets over 30,000 members, and charges $40 entry for home and away games and still gets over 30,000 people a game every single week and sells out most of their games has to be taken seriously. The Gabba has been redeveloped more times than I can remember over the last 10 year, and I can tell you that it is not through cricket. Queensland cricket owes the AFL a lot for the success of the venue. The state now has some of the best football infrastructure in the country.
I don't think that a few years of bad on-field performance will have any effect on their sponsorship money or ability to run a successful club. AFL in Brisbane is growing and is definately there to stay. The Lions may put in a few mediocre years, but even when they weren't making the finals, they were still able to draw 25,000 + crowds and crowds were growing each year. As long as Leigh Matthews stays on board as a coach, he will squeeze 100% of potential out of every player. Without a game every week, footy fans will keep turning up in droves, even if it is to see the opposition team play. Essendon and Collingwood games will always sell out in Brisbane no matter how badly Brisvegas are doing, so now that the Gabba has been redeveloped you can count on at least 2 games with 42,000 spectators each year. They also have around 15-20,000 Fitzroy fans based in Melbourne and now have a new legion of kids around the country that became "bandwagoners" as well.
I disagree that AFL doesn't get a mention anywhere but Brisbane. Support for the code on the Gold Coast is almost 50%. The Southport Sharks are an on-field and off-field powerhouse aussie rules club that have been pushing for entry into the AFL for nearly as long as Brisbane have been there. Support in Cairns and FNQ is also great. Canberra and Riverina in NSW/ACT also have a solid AFL supporter base.
Rugby League will remain an important part of QLD culture, and SOO games are a big success, however Rugby Leagues biggest threat in QLD is not AFL, but Union and Soccer, which like AFL are getting stronger all the time, especially union mainly because of the International tests and sometimes gets media preference.

The Swans crowds have been more fickle. When they do well, they get huge crowds. When they are not doing so well, the fans dissapear.
Games at Telstra stadium is a huge boost for big game atmosphere, but they do need a lot of work to be done. The AFL needs to get a foothold in regional cities like Newcastle, Woolongong and Canberra. Which is a big ask as AFL doesn't rate on TV. No doubt the Swans and AFL are in for the long haul in Sydney.

In any case, I don't think that TV ratings are the best measure. Couch potatoes will watch whatever they are spoonfed. There is really not that much choice with only 5 free-to-air channels. General trends around the world show that people are too lazy to watch a sport that they don't understand, and hence TV stations don't take the gamble to play them on prime time. This in turn makes it hard for any new sports to make headway in a Television dominated world. As long as Rugby League is the media's darling in these states, other codes will still struggle.
I think the real measure is both "awareness" and "participation" in the sport, which includes watching and playing the game on a regular basis. This is where AFL is achieving exponentially. Even if participation is low, noone can dispute that most Sydney people are now aware of AFL. Even anti-AFL sentiment is much better than not knowing AFL exists at all. Even in New Zealand, AFL is starting to be noticed but also getting some participation.

I don't think Rugby League is dying, but it is failing to be noticed anywhere but QLD and NSW and New Zealand. It got some hype in the SuperLeague days with its marketing machine, but people in the SuperLeague states of Perth (Reds), Adelaide (Rams), Gold Coast (Chargers) and Melbourne (Storm) eventually saw that it was all hype has all but died out.

Nor do I think that AFL is all-conquering. You can't ignore the sheer population of QLD and NSW and New Zealand. They are also huge tourist destinations.
WHy did you drag up this really really old thread?

fishmonger said:
The Rugby League also gives concessions to the Melbourne Storm...
since when???

Support for the code on the Gold Coast is almost 50%.
I dont think so, but thats just my observation from having lived nearby all my life.

The Southport Sharks are an on-field and off-field powerhouse aussie rules club that have been pushing for entry into the AFL for nearly as long as Brisbane have been there.
Yes, wonderful club they have at Southport. Cheap pots and more pokies than any other club on the Coast !!!

Support in Cairns and FNQ is also great.
As far as AFL in FNQ goes, I've only ever heard of the Cairns AFL.. and that bcoz of a disgraceful Grand Final a few years ago. Other than the Cairns comp, I don't what else there is up there...

Canberra and Riverina in NSW/ACT also have a solid AFL supporter base.
You would think there would be a solid base of support for all codes in Canberra considering Canberra public servants arrive from all parts of the country.... but there are only 2 brands of football who value Canberra highly enough to include them in their provincial competition.

I disagree about the threat of Rugby Union.

I also disagree that soccer is a threat to RL, despite my belief that the Queensland Roar have created a highly respected brand in such a short time, are attracting good crowds, are playing an up tempo exciting style of football..

I also disagree that the Lions outstanding on-field and off-field success has damaged RL in Queensland.

In my view you really must distinguish between Queensland and South East Queensland. RL is unchallenged as the peoples game in Queensland, but my view for at least half dozen years was that South East Queensland was RLs greatest weakness within its heartland, and therefore the AFLs greatest opportunity to grow at the expense of League at the grassroots level.

However, with the admission of the Gold Coast Titans from 2007, RL has gone some way to re-establishing itself as the peoples game in SEQ well into the future... but not all the way. The future of football following in South East Queensland will continue to be a bit of Brisbane Broncos or Gold Coast Titans, a bit of Qld Reds, a bit of Brisbane Lions, and a bit of Queensland Roar... often all at once.

The AFL needs to get a foothold in regional cities like Newcastle, Woolongong and Canberra.
Ahh yes, this shows you understand my decentralised states argument!

As long as Rugby League is the media's darling in these states, other codes will still struggle.
RL is the #1 media focus because its the #1 winter sport...

Even if participation is low, noone can dispute that most Sydney people are now aware of AFL.
True. The AFL brand name is now truly national, despite the game itself not being truly national.

Even in New Zealand, AFL is starting to be noticed but also getting some participation.
Really?

I don't think Rugby League is dying, but it is failing to be noticed anywhere but QLD and NSW and New Zealand.
True for SA WA TAS... the Grand Final probably wasnt even mentioned in their nightly news sport report!!

but VIC is slowly but surely moving in the right direction as far as awareness and acceptance is concerned. The general public is beginning to accept the fact that the Melbourne Storm aren't going anywhere and will represent their city/state in the NRL indefinitely. With $23 000 000 to be invested in promotion and development of RL in Melbourne over the next 3 years... I have no doubt double digit growth can be achieved at the level of grassroots participation, I haven no doubt crowds will grow to about 15 000 almost overnight at the new world class boutique venue in the Olympic Park precinct, but the game really needs to get the Storm televised on FTA to capitalise in terms of tv ratings. As I said, good things are beginning to happen on the Victorian front, but more needs to be done on a sustained basis of a long period of time.

You can't ignore the sheer population of QLD and NSW and New Zealand.
That's 14 million people where AFL is a sideshow alley sport. VIC SA WA TAS NT amounts to about 10 million people where AFL is the premier winter brand of football. It kinda puts AFL into perspective when you realise the isolated nature of AFL heartland, and also leads me to believe that QLD NSW NZ will offer growth potential to AFL for many decades to come.

What have I said about bring up old threads other than to prove a point (ie. Thread from the start of a season predicting the premier and the like)

Thread Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back