Opinion OFFICIAL: Josh Walker traded for Brisbane's 2016 3rd Rd pick (Jansen = steak knives)

Remove this Banner Ad

Essentially this. His trajectory from rookie list to key-position tall has been very good so far, and while he's not explosive enough to be a star, he's still an AFL-capable tall forward. Yes, when he has a bad day he has a stinker but tall forwards require patience, a commodity in extremely short supply on this board.
I would say he's been fairly stagnant in his 14 games this year, besides a couple of above average outings. Hasn't shown in any game that he really has the the ability to turn a game and stand up in clutch moments when needed, in fact he's basically sprayed every shot at goal when it's been one that the team really needed it.

I would say he's been fairly stagnant in his 14 games this year, besides a couple of above average outings.
I think that's probably better than last year by definition. Last year we hugely overrated his contribution on the back of a few contested marks, this year we've done the opposite and set the bar too high.

I still can't understand the talk of trading away our only two young tall forwards.
We have Vardy and that is all coming through our system.
Clark is always going to be injury-riddled.

There's Stanley but he looks like he'll be a designated ruck at Geelong so again, why trade away our two youngest forwards and hope that Vardy's body holds up long-term?

To put simply their just not up to it.

I would persist one more season with Kersten, WALKER however is just a list clogger. As someone put it earlier, he's getting games by default. Time to start again and draft a kid and see how they go. Couldn't be any worse than last nights effort of WALKER. Would even prefer to see jimmy playing as key forward.

Vardy in his first game back showed why he will always get picked ahead of Walker in a fit full list, but how often do we have that?

I wouldn't throw Walks out but I would expect him to play a fair bit more VFL and never be much more than a good solid trier at AFL level (Playfair-esq)
the sad reality is, he gave us more 2 years ago. He was taking pack marks and showing potential. I don't see that anymore.

To put simply their just not up to it.

I'd also be prepared to give each player another year.
If we had say 3 or 4 tall forwards coming up, then yes, shop em around but to put it simply . . . we don't.
We have Vardy, Kersten and Walker.
Toohey is gone, Brown is gone, Bathie is gone, Hamling who started out as a forward is also gone.

We went hard for Clark in the hope he'd become a healthy vibrant young player again, that's obviously not panning out as first thought.

Yea ...but he kicked 4 others......

That's true, I'd say that he's still learning the game, with the point being that a number of our players weren't game breakers at that age. Also that even at the end of their playing life, players do make terrible errors.

SJ and Bartel are fine examples of that last point. But do we measure them to a different standard because they're premiership champions? Is that fair, considering that when they were young they'd probably have made similar errors, long since forgotten?

That's true, I'd say that he's still learning the game, with the point being that a number of our players weren't game breakers at that age. Also that even at the end of their playing life, players do make terrible errors.

SJ and Bartel are fine examples of that last point. But do we measure them to a different standard because they're premiership champions? Is that fair, considering that when they were young they'd probably have made similar errors, long since forgotten?
we measure all the same when evaluating a list.

As people have pointed out Mooney was a bit lost in his early years but always looked to have some footy smarts. Haven't given up completely on Walker,but seems to be spinning his wheels this year. If he is around next year it will be make or break. Certainly no room with a fit Stanley and Vardy ( Clark?) in the mix. Not sure he could/will want to hang around as just a permanent backup guy.

greek-potato.standard-460x345.gif

Yea ...but he kicked 4 others......

and he also had 41 goals next to his name after 30 games compared to 32 which Walker currently has.
Not a big difference but it does take time for players to really find their feet as even the great Stevie J was no champion early on.

Do agree though, Walker has severely hurt his chances the last fortnight and knowing the coach, he'll likely be dropped for the remainder of the year and kept out of the team until another injury arises later on next year which further inhibits his chances of belonging in the AFL.
May end up getting traded too.

Hope he gets another chance though and finishes off 2015 in solid fashion.

His goal kicking had been on the improve I thought but he certainly has been poor the last couple of weeks and is showing signs of the "yips" again.

Certainly a technique thing, he seems to lean back and gets right under the ball. Drops it rather than guides it as well I think.

At least, that is how it looks to me.
Yep, he throws the ball.

When he was having that shot I said to my son "he's a chance to miss this". My son looked at me like I was crazy. Then I said " in fact, he could kick it out on the full". Then I copped a WTF? Look.

10 seconds later and my son was laughing his head off.
And I said to him. Watch him, he does what I tell you not to do. He throws it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Better leap too. So that's two things Walker has over White. What does White have over Walker?
How sad being compared to White now :(

In any case Walker is a better footballer than White, that's not saying much, granted, but better nonetheless.

How sad being compared to White now :(

In any case Walker is a better footballer than White, that's not saying much, granted, but better nonetheless.

Please. White was a Premiership player at the age of 18 and an All Australian at Walkers age. Walker couldnt hold his jock strap.

Edit: We are talking about Mitchell White yes?

He's a good VFL player, and therefore plays alright against mediocre opposition at AFL level. That's where people start thinking he's got the dreaded 'potential'.

He has never looked anything but a mile out of his depth against quality opposition or in big games.

It has annoyed me that others have been chopped ahead of him. Perhaps it's because he's one of the hardest trainers at the club. Whatever the case, he will never be anything more than a bottom six player, and will rightfully get shunted out of the side once all our forwards are back on deck.

The second tall.

One of the best most influential players today, Jarrod Roughead. I can remember when he was in that position for the Hawks. Gee he stunk the place up on occasion. Then they put Buddy out on a wing, and Roughead was a different player.

He's a good VFL player, and therefore plays alright against mediocre opposition at AFL level. That's where people start thinking he's got the dreaded 'potential'.

He has never looked anything but a mile out of his depth against quality opposition or in big games.

It has annoyed me that others have been chopped ahead of him. Perhaps it's because he's one of the hardest trainers at the club. Whatever the case, he will never be anything more than a bottom six player, and will rightfully get shunted out of the side once all our forwards are back on deck.

And we've got another one just like him, Shane Kerosene, couldn't win the ball at AFL but gets everyone buzzing when he does something in the reserves.
Get rid of them both as failed experiments and stop wasting time.

And we've got another one just like him, Shane Kerosene, couldn't win the ball at AFL but gets everyone buzzing when he does something in the reserves.
Get rid of them both as failed experiments and stop wasting time.
Meto secretly wants them both traded out to Collingwood for Varcoe.

Meto secretly wants them both traded out to Collingwood for Varcoe.

Don't be silly, another overly soft player just look at Collingwood atm! the little outside trotter (so weak)...... but I seriously reckon we'd have to pay Buckley to take the others, afterall it could mean his job.
But nuh.....think of all the potential! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
He plays like he doesn't understand his role, he is there to be the secondary option to Hawk but far too often he is in the same 5m area as Hawkins.
Josh should be providing another option well away from Tom so he is also creating space, its no coincidence that Josh's best games have come when Tom has been out of the side

Yep, he throws the ball.

When he was having that shot I said to my son "he's a chance to miss this". My son looked at me like I was crazy. Then I said " in fact, he could kick it out on the full". Then I copped a WTF? Look.

10 seconds later and my son was laughing his head off.
And I said to him. Watch him, he does what I tell you not to do. He throws it.

Totally agree vinum coupe
WTF has happened to his kicking action? He seemed a lot more fluid last season and his reliability picked up
Even when he kicked the bag a few weeks ago he was kicking extraordinarly high , however they went in.
Looks totally devoid of any confidence now , huge pity because if he snags 65% of his recent shots he looks a different player
Keeps going like this he's going to become a Peter Johnson clone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back