Opinion OFFICIAL: Josh Walker traded for Brisbane's 2016 3rd Rd pick (Jansen = steak knives)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think he's getting them in a too different way to how he did it at VFL level and since he probably had more than a hundred shots at VFL level and he's had around 60 at AFL level you could probably compare his stats from VFL to AFL to some degree of accuracy its less reliable when you compare his stats to another player since the differences the differences increase even more.

In general players' who are noted goal kickers have their goal accuracy drop when they move from the VFL to the AFL, their are few explanations (none of which are too far-fetched) for it, a player is more likely to get a mark closer to goal on a better angle since the defensive structures and defenders aren't as good. Another is the fatigue, the work rate required to get separation to higher and the general speed of the game is greater so when a player does win the ball at AFL level they are more fatigued with a higher heart rate as the moment they kick the ball. Another thing that might put players off is the increased perception of importance in the kick and the noise from crowd.

Off the stats for a bit around a month ago I remember one of the commentators brought up his kicking action during the game in a non-flatter manner
I'm not a expert on kicking actions the best I can do it say when someone has an atypical kicking action but others on the board has also brought it up.
He did start to suddenly roost the ball much higher a month or so ago- whether it was a conscious effort to do that to overcome some problem with his style elsewhere (like when you exaggerate a movement to make sure you get it as precise as you can)- or whether he did it in reaction to something like a tightness in a quad, hammy, buttock or something- who knows? I think your points regarding work rate and perceived pressure, etc are probably close to pinning down the cause of his inaccuracy. No matter how much you improve your kicking, the first time you miss a shot, you must start to second guess your actions.

Walker played a good half today - and he did a fair bit of it basically at FF

Id like Hawkins to get super fit next year and play at CHF ( alah that bit of play today left foot kick on the run to Vardy ) because it gives Geelong so many more options at full forward - with the likes of Walker Vardy maybe even Clark - and the Geelong forward line looks much more dangerous

With Hawkins at full forward - he normally plays from behind - and they just bomb it down there - hopefully over the off season - they work on a few alternatives than just Hawkins at full forward

I would love to see him stick around. The way it is shaping though he might be the only trade currency we have.

Unfortunately agree. It's games like he had today that make you realize his got something.

Like mentioned above though, he looks better closer to goal. I think our only options would be to try develope Hawkins into a CHF (like mentioned above ) or trade him

Malthouse once said (something like) 'You need 30 players in your best 22 to win a premiership'
Josh is one of those players we need to fill gaps when 'managing' the more fancied players over a long season.
(Remember the years when we were contending for the flag, we were strategically resting players throughout the season)

Yes, I definitely agree with that-
Last year his goal accuracy over 7 games was 68.7%
This year he's fallen apart again, dropping to 51.6% accuracy.
Hawkins kicked at 55.7% last year and is 59.7% this season.
I just think Walker is capable of kicking much better but has lost a lot of confidence that he spent quite some time building up over the previous 12 months or more.
Also handy if Walker was allowed to focus on being a forward rather than odd jobs, spare parts, ruck man which was a major distraction when he took to the field much of this year.

Last edited:
Yep worth another year. I think they might want to look at trading Kersten though.

I wonder if the club would rather keep Walker over Kersten, especially when you consider the poorish showing from Walker in the couple of games before today, while Kersten in the VFL kicked 8 goals in his last 2 matches, but didn't get a look in for today.

Walker was great,give him his due he may not be the most talented but he is improving all tye time and his work rate is super.

Our issue is that both he and vardy are clearly best 22 as forwards but neither is good enough in the ruck so it may be hard to fit them and a support ruckman to help stanley,all in the 22.

For that reason walker may seek a trade but i hope he doesnt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

here's a thought, why not keep both guys considering they are 22 year of age and have yet to really get stuck into their AFL careers?

It's not like Hawkins and Clark still have plenty of years in front of them. Many a forward have declined when they hit 30 and beyond.

The club would like to but there isnt enough gametime for all and players want to play afl.we will keep them if we can but it may not be our call.

here's a thought, why not keep both guys considering they are 22 year of age and have yet to really get stuck into their AFL careers?

It's not like Hawkins and Clark still have plenty of years in front of them. Many a forward have declined when they hit 30 and beyond.
Today in BigFooty shocker: young tall forwards found to be highly inconsistent at AFL level. Mass burning Sunday.

Do both players want to stay? The club may want both, but they may be able to only keep one, especially if other teams are asking around about the possibility of at least one of them wanting out.

Do both players want to stay? The club may want both, but they may be able to only keep one, especially if other teams are asking around about the possibility of at least one of them wanting out.
At the moment I would imagine that there's a spot for Walker if he wants it enough. Kersten needs to improve a bit more.

Walker played a good half today - and he did a fair bit of it basically at FF

Id like Hawkins to get super fit next year and play at CHF ( alah that bit of play today left foot kick on the run to Vardy ) because it gives Geelong so many more options at full forward - with the likes of Walker Vardy maybe even Clark - and the Geelong forward line looks much more dangerous

With Hawkins at full forward - he normally plays from behind - and they just bomb it down there - hopefully over the off season - they work on a few alternatives than just Hawkins at full forward
walker's best games in the forward line, IMO, have been out of the square, when either Tom was missing or when he was roaming up the ground. Walker goes OK up the ground as well but people seem to measure his performance more by how well he goes at kicking those goals. Nailed them all beautifully today - that'll bump up his averages.

You thinking Walker for Henderson in a straight swap now? :cool:

I wish. But I hope he does get traded for his own sake. He would fit in well at a few teams - Carlton, Freo, Brisbane immediately come to mind.

As for value - I reckon Walker plus our second for Henderson is reasonable. * giving them our first!

I know he had a couple shocker games kicking for goal wise lately but overall he's improved that area of his game out of sight since his first couple season at the club,

Maybe we could fix John Butcher's kicking too.

I wish. But I hope he does get traded for his own sake. He would fit in well at a few teams - Carlton, Freo, Brisbane immediately come to mind.

As for value - I reckon Walker plus our second for Henderson is reasonable. **** giving them our first!
I hope it was obvious I was being facetious when I made my post.

However, with Vardy's return and Clark still on the books it does look like one of Walker and Kersten are back in the queue.

This time last year Kersten was given a good run.

This year seems to have been Walker's turn.

Both are starting to get games under their belt so the assumption is both should start getting better next year.

But neither of them really grabbed their opportunities this year (I think Walker showed more than Kersten though).

I've always preferred Walker over Kersten but I keep watching the two of them play and feel Kersten fits our side better as a smaller, leading 3rd tall type.

We wait and see what happens with them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back