April - Daily Punt

Remove this Banner Ad

Could not believe how on paced (for the most part) Randwick raced yesterday, so much so to that I couldn't back Chautaqua in the TJ Smith despite getting to a ridiculous price for the best horse (my opinion) in the race.

What a win that was for him, his pattern, race pace and track bias will play against him from time to time but give this horse clear air he is simply dynamic, cannot wait to see the sections he ran there over the last 600M, was in a different race to the others and showed he is the best sprinter in the country.

Don't worry about the fact that he only just beat LOTS, yes he is seen as a bit of a milk drinker but I had him down as a G1 horse after his first 5-7 starts, he seemed to lose his way after winning the Monash last year but he is a talented horse on his day and Chautauqua beat him from an impossible position against a big bias.

I said last week that Terravista has been overrated on the back of his Darley win last year, he did nothing to change my opinion yesterday and he is most definitely not the best sprinter in the World, Lankan looks to be in strife on the back of his last two starts, hope he can get back to somewhere near his best.

The Ryder from was always going to stand up in the Doncaster, Real Impact enormous given he apparently doesn't handle the wet, was tempted to back him when the track was playing as it did but stuck to my original bets of Royal Descent & Kermadec, he looked the winner at the 200M but was happy to see Kermadec diving up the inside, won well in the end with Royal Descent another good run without winning.

Criterion a big chance in the QE for mine, the Ryder will be a super form race going forward and he looks set to peak here with the gun run from barrier 4 with a bit of juice in the track.

Contributer the obvious but a more genuine 2000M from barrier 13 brings him right back to the field whilst I still don't know what to think of To the World, have to risk Adelaide first up on the back of his trials & I'd be shocked if anything else wins it, maybe Tosen Stardom?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could not believe how on paced (for the most part) Randwick raced yesterday, so much so to that I couldn't back Chautaqua in the TJ Smith despite getting to a ridiculous price for the best horse (my opinion) in the race.
What a weird track it was. Had a small collect off Hi World and then pulled up stumps, was doing my head in. Randwick is genuinely ****ed. So is Sandown for that matter :rolleyes:

Hopefully some more consistent weather this week and it could be a big day. Sydney Cup, QOTT, Arrowfield all skinny races for mine.

Nick Hall gets the flick off TTW, Zac rides

seth

Harsh in my opinion, he didn't do anything wrong on TTW in the BMW, he stalked Hartnell and had to make his move when he did or he would have been left for dead, yes he was forced a little wide on the turn but Hartnell came wide also and in the end TTW was simply not good enough (or fit enough) to win, doesn't matter how he rides it Hartnell still wins.

Not as if he had it 3 wide into the breeze chasing a hot speed, very harsh call to sack him on that.

What a weird track it was. Had a small collect off Hi World and then pulled up stumps, was doing my head in. Randwick is genuinely stuffed. So is Sandown for that matter :rolleyes:

Hopefully some more consistent weather this week and it could be a big day. Sydney Cup, QOTT, Arrowfield all skinny races for mine.

I was at the football so whilst I watched every race I wasn't getting any commentary and initially I couldn't work out if it was an issue of race pace or bias, by the time it got to the TJ it just looked so bad visually for those coming from the back (they looked to be moving into it then 200M later virtually out of screen) that I had to leave Chautauqua alone.

I thought he was a touch short early in the week and was probably going to leave alone but when Sweet Idea came out with a track that I expected play to swoopers I thought he was getting to a very attractive price @ $3.50 let alone the price that he eventually go to.

I think he will be winning the All Aged if he goes there.

As you said, hopefully the track plays fairly this week but is just as like to swing the other way and be impossible to lead and win.

Harsh in my opinion, he didn't do anything wrong on TTW in the BMW, he stalked Hartnell and had to make his move when he did or he would have been left for dead, yes he was forced a little wide on the turn but Hartnell came wide also and in the end TTW was simply not good enough (or fit enough) to win, doesn't matter how he rides it Hartnell still wins.

Not as if he had it 3 wide into the breeze chasing a hot speed, very harsh call to sack him on that.

Harsh, but you take the best jockey available even if he didnt stuff it last time imo. I would be much happier to back him with Purton in the saddle

Harsh, but you take the best jockey available even if he didnt stuff it last time imo. I would be much happier to back him with Purton in the saddle

Why go with Hall in the first place then? I'm sure there were other jockeys with a bigger reputation than him that were available for the BMW yet they select him & sack him after 1 ride where he did no wrong.

The horse didn't perform to expectation not the jockey.

Why go with Hall in the first place then? I'm sure there were other jockeys with a bigger reputation than him that were available for the BMW yet they select him & sack him after 1 ride where he did no wrong.

The horse didn't perform to expectation not the jockey.

Was Zac Purton available for BMW day? He is a world class jockey so no surprise they would take him if they could especially given his form on Japanese horses over the Spring here

I thought Halls ride was poor on World Ace (probably both tbh). Just didn't seem to want to make a move and ran wide throughout. It's no shock they sacked him off their second horse.

Purton was first option for the Japanese, however, he thought he was riding at the Dubai World Cup meeting on Aerovelocity and Military Attack so couldn't commit to riding World Ace and TTW.

Also just on track bias I think it was quite even by the time we got to the Derby. Haven't done any recap of it yet and just on race day interpretation I thought I saw a few signs earlier on that it was changing. From the derby onwards horses started to make ground. None moreso than Pat Careys derby horse and Chautaqua.

Was Zac Purton available for BMW day? He is a world class jockey so no surprise they would take him if they could especially given his form on Japanese horses over the Spring here

If Purton was their first choice then it makes the decision now more understandable but I doubt they sack him if TTW won the BMW.

I don't care which jockey was on he still gets beaten in the BMW for mine.

I thought Halls ride was poor on World Ace (probably both tbh). Just didn't seem to want to make a move and ran wide throughout. It's no shock they sacked him off their second horse.

Purton was first option for the Japanese, however, he thought he was riding at the Dubai World Cup meeting on Aerovelocity and Military Attack so couldn't commit to riding World Ace and TTW.

Also just on track bias I think it was quite even by the time we got to the Derby. Haven't done any recap of it yet and just on race day interpretation I thought I saw a few signs earlier on that it was changing. From the derby onwards horses started to make ground. None moreso than Pat Careys derby horse and Chautaqua.

You could make some ground later in the day but closer to the fence was still the better ground, Kermadec the example, was back but came up the inside of Real Impact.

Royal Descent was the opposite, not saying she beats Kermadec but she looked to be struggling at the 400M to my eye but still kept finding the line, I think she looked to be struggling a long way out because she was still in the worst part of the track and not because she was going no good.

My opinion but no doubt for the most part it was difficult to make ground at Randwick on Monday.

Just another Hawkes hype horse to not live up to it. good horse but it's amazing how a good spruke can completely change a horses status. Disappointing they didn't risk his status for a G1. In a years time he will just be Shooting to Wins older brother.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back