Arctic Park

Remove this Banner Ad

We all know that footy fans miss a game out at Arctic Park, especially at night and in the middle of winter on a dark, stormy night.

So how does temperature compare to the rest of Melbourne? Scientifically?

Guessing it was mainly a myth but given the stands were smaller than the MCG, more wind and rain would affect the crowd.

Anyone have any facts to prove or dispell the myth?

More than anything it was the rain.

I think most people aren't aware of how dramatic the difference in rainfall between the drier west and the wetter east is but Waverley Park would've got about 30% more rain throughout the year than the CBD and MCG.

Add in the fact that the stadium was hardly covered and that would be where it got its reputation from.

We all know that footy fans miss a game out at Arctic Park, especially at night and in the middle of winter on a dark, stormy night.

So how does temperature compare to the rest of Melbourne? Scientifically?

Guessing it was mainly a myth but given the stands were smaller than the MCG, more wind and rain would affect the crowd.

Anyone have any facts to prove or dispell the myth?

I have lived in just about every part of Victoria, Tatura in the north, Ballarat in the west, Bruthen in the east and all compasses in melbourne as well including Altona, Newport, Brunswick and North Melbourne.

I also lived in Scoresby for 9 months.

It was the most miserable place you could ever imagine to live. Cold and it rained for 8 out of the 9 months I lived there. Hell on earth, in the cold anti hell sense.

Scoresby was luxury compared to Waverly (not far away).

Aparently statistically the rainbelt was a myth.

I have lived in just about every part of Victoria, Tatura in the north, Ballarat in the west, Bruthen in the east and all compasses in melbourne as well including Altona, Newport, Brunswick and North Melbourne.

I also lived in Scoresby for 9 months.

It was the most miserable place you could ever imagine to live. Cold and it rained for 8 out of the 9 months I lived there. Hell on earth, in the cold anti hell sense.

Scoresby was luxury compared to Waverly (not far away).

Maybe you lived there during winter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if true, there is a local population around it bigger than Adelaide. Do they go out or stay inside all the time ?

Fact is they have to harvest rainwater from woolies warehouse roof next door to keep it green. It quickly went brown when it was abandoned, winter and summer

On a winter's night, Mulgrave is usually about 2 degrees colder the Melbourne.
Just check you phone's weather app.
The fact is that is was very exposed and the design create wind tunnels if you were on level 1.

On a winter's night, Mulgrave is usually about 2 degrees colder the Melbourne.
Just check you phone's weather app.
The fact is that is was very exposed and the design create wind tunnels if you were on level 1.

Hows it compare to launceston ? 12k turned up on saturday, although the seating would have been sold out in advance

Fond memories, played VicKick there, glad its gone though haha

Trains and football go so much better than cars

Hows it compare to launceston ? 12k turned up on saturday, although the seating would have been sold out in advance
Weather is relative.
People in Tassie would be used to their weather. It is always warmer by the sea in winter.
Are you saying we would have got many more than 12K for that game if we still played Waverley?
Maybe 15k - 20k.
Would have been 25k @ mcg.

Fond memories, played VicKick there, glad its gone though haha

Trains and football go so much better than cars

Why on earth would you build a train line out to one of the most populated areas of the city???

:confused:

Weather is relative.
People in Tassie would be used to their weather. It is always warmer by the sea in winter.
Are you saying we would have got many more than 12K for that game if we still played Waverley?
Maybe 15k - 20k.
Would have been 25k @ mcg.

My earlier point, more than the population of adelaide lives in the so called rain belt around waverley.

And its so " rainy" the oval requires artificial irrigation all year round

Remove this Banner Ad

Back