The Hawks At Princes Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 26, 2022
Cork
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton Cork GAA Montreal Canadiens
A good article here on a Hawthorn website about this. The writer of the article wonders why Princes Park wasn't more revered by Hawks fans?

Hawthorn even had a section of the ground all to themselves. The Hawks had their own change and function rooms, and that part of the ground had no Carlton branding or memorabilia whatsoever.

Whatever mixed feeling Hawks fans may have about Princes Park they sure did enjoy a lot of success there. Between both ourselves and the Hawks the ground was a hub of success in the 70's and 80's.

Princes Park was to be Melbourne's Olympic Stadium in 1956 before the decision to host the Games that year at hte MCG. An interesting read
The infamous bloodbath grand final of 1945, when we beat the South Melbourne/Sydney Swans was played there as well.

The grand finals of 1942 and 1943 between Essendon and Richmond were also held at Princes Park. The Bombers won in 1942 and the Tigers won the 1943 final.

Two of our biggest rivals won grand finals on our home turf! Yeah that is bit of a kick in the teeth alright!

Princess park had the title of Melbournes or the leagues second biggest ground after the MCG as well.

Nice ground.

Famous for the Egypian Aiyda that was held at Princess park in 1989 and 1990.

Along with that drawn boxing match Fenech and Nelson way back in 1990.

Nice place there just needs some work on the heros stand and gardner stand in which i feel is heritage listed just needs some work on to it.

The rest of the ground is great now a days.

Easy to get around and a heap of food and drink outlets too.

Like to see an AFL match for points played there.

Be a great ground in 2 years time if they canf ix up the other half of the ground.

Wish Collingwood had the same at Vic Park in which that too has improved alot as well.

Still like Vic Park to be more full time venue now a days its bit here and there and looks depressing when nothing is on there during the week and a bit derilict.

Still Pies have the $ then they can invest into it i guess.

I really like Ikon myself been a Pies man the staff there are friendly and easy.

I went to one game at Princes Park, in 2004 when West Coast managed to remain goalless to half time against a perennially decrepit Carlton side that managed to show some signs of life that year, signs that would then disappear and not be seen again for another half a decade. But I still got to see that miserable goalless half against them

I went to one game at Princes Park, in 2004 when West Coast managed to remain goalless to half time against a perennially decrepit Carlton side that managed to show some signs of life that year, signs that would then disappear and not be seen again for another half a decade. But I still got to see that miserable goalless half against them
That whole 2002-2007 period in Carltons history was particularly bleak.

We finished 11th in 2004 though and were only eight points off the top eight. For some reason we were able to lift it to some degree that year.

The Hawks v Cats game at Princes Park in R6, 1989 was an absolute classic, and an insight into what would play out in the 89 Grand Final. It had everything, with the final score - HAWTHORN 26.15 (171) d GEELONG 25.13 (163)

Cats led by 49 points at half time, and Geelong's full forward kicked 6 first half goals....not Ablett, but a kid called Gavin Exell. He ended with 9 for the game

Hawks kicked 10.6 in the final quarter! It was a game of two halves with Cats booting 9.2 in the 2Q.

The Hawks v Cats game at Princes Park in R6, 1989 was an absolute classic, and an insight into what would play out in the 89 Grand Final. It had everything, with the final score - HAWTHORN 26.15 (171) d GEELONG 25.13 (163)

Cats led by 49 points at half time, and Geelong's full forward kicked 6 first half goals....not Ablett, but a kid called Gavin Exell. He ended with 9 for the game

Hawks kicked 10.6 in the final quarter! It was a game of two halves with Cats booting 9.2 in the 2Q.
If he was available for that years grand final then you possibly could have won it. Malcolm Blight wanted that Geelong side to go to war with the Hawks and try and bully them into submission.

I think you might have been better off if you focused more on playing footy! Still though Geelong came close to winning it, and if you won that flag the end would have justified the means i suppose.

If he was available for that years grand final then you possibly could have won it. Malcolm Blight wanted that Geelong side to go to war with the Hawks and try and bully them into submission.

I think you might have been better off if you focused more on playing footy! Still though Geelong came close to winning it, and if you won that flag the end would have justified the means i suppose.
Absolutely. They went into the GF with the mentality of playing the man. Meanwhile Hawks slammed on what ended up being an unassailable lead

A North fan on here told this story before about an incident during a Carlton and North Melbourne game at Princes Park. Apparently a group of Roos fans were just making their way to their seats, and Jack Elliott just started yelling belligerently at them.:laughv1:

Apparently he used to empty out the contents of his ashtray down on top of opposition supporters heads as well, but all this of course could just be an urban legend as well!

In 1986, there were three tenants there. Carlton, Hawthorn and Fitzroy. They ended up the three top teams that season. Was a fantastic traditional inner suburb footy ground until Elliott ****ed it up in mid 90's with his half arsed Legends Stand bullshit. For me, it now a shell of the place it was. But so glad i grew up in time when my footy club actually had a homeground. Hawks probably went there because Glenferrie was too small for footy in semi-professional era. Bit like how Tigers had to leave Punt Road decades before our lives. VFL Park was leagues ground everybody played a few games at until league ground rationalisation policies took hold in 90's. Then Hawks and Saints were using Waverley Park as their homeground after Saints lost Moorabin to use. Was a weird time to see Waverley no longer a neutral league ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always been fascinated by the fact that Bob Menzies had his own ramp at Princes Park so he could park his Bentley on it and watch the footy in comfort.

Menzies%20Article%202.jpg

fd6348871e20882d0fd96c2e44c98a7f51b707a0

I've always been fascinated by the fact that Bob Menzies had his own ramp at Princes Park so he could park his Bently on it and watch the footy in comfort.

Menzies%20Article%202.jpg

fd6348871e20882d0fd96c2e44c98a7f51b707a0
I think that was a very nice gesture by Carlton. This was Carltons number one ticket holder, and he served his country for many years as prime minister as well.

It was Carltons own way of paying tribute to a great Carlton man and great Australian imo.

I played Little league for Fitzroy at VFL park in the 80’s.
Kicked out whole score 1.1, that was my 15 min right there.

Played on the whole ground and you couldn’t even see the kids at the other end

There was a fair few flags unfurled at Princes Park back in the days when we shared it with Hawthorn.

1976 Hawks Flag, 1978 Hawks Flag, 1979 Carlton Flag, 1981 Carlton Flag, 1982 Carlton Flag, 1983 Hawks Flag, 1986 Hawks Flag, 1987 Carlton Flag, 1988 Hawks Flag, 1989 Hawks Flag and 1991 Hawks Flag. With David Parkin of course coaching the 1978 Hawthorn team and 1981 and 1982 Carltons teams

Was great fun jumping on the tram back to Flinders st station.
The trams resembled the trains in India with passengers hanging off everywhere.
The conductors (remember them) didn’t bother collecting fares as they couldn’t get from one end to the other.

I have great memories of this. It used to be half the fun getting to the suburban grounds.

I have great memories of this. It used to be half the fun getting to the suburban grounds.
I miss the experience of travelling to real homegrounds of clubs here. I treasure I caught the period before it all ended in ground rationalisation where the sameness of it all now has it reduced to only be able to treasure the walk to MCG through the very parks where the game was created.

Going to Windy Hill, Moorabin, Arden Street, Junction Oval, Western Oval, Victoria Park, Kardinia Park and VFL Park was not always comfortable or cozy but the actual experience of each ground with each it's own nuances, quirks and character was full of football community character too that just do not have anymore. Even went to The Parade in Norwood in early 80's with the same experience that it had it's own feel that each club used to have

Last edited:
In 1986, there were three tenants there. Carlton, Hawthorn and Fitzroy. They ended up the three top teams that season. Was a fantastic traditional inner suburb footy ground until Elliott ****ed it up in mid 90's with his half arsed Legends Stand bullshit. For me, it now a shell of the place it was. But so glad i grew up in time when my footy club actually had a homeground. Hawks probably went there because Glenferrie was too small for footy in semi-professional era. Bit like how Tigers had to leave Punt Road decades before our lives. VFL Park was leagues ground everybody played a few games at until league ground rationalisation policies took hold in 90's. Then Hawks and Saints were using Waverley Park as their homeground after Saints lost Moorabin to use. Was a weird time to see Waverley no longer a neutral league ground.
Fitzroy played at Victoria Park for home games in 1986 and moved back to princess park in 87. Glenferire oval was boxed in on the outer side by the train line so had no room for expansion. Punt road oval had the same issue with Punt rd getting wider over the years.

Gavin Excell. Legend.

In response to the post. The hawks were forced to move there by the VFL, and the deal the vfl knicked up with the blues meant the club lost money regardless of the crowd.
It is the basis of why hawthorn hates carlton

In response to the post. The hawks were forced to move there by the VFL, and the deal the vfl knicked up with the blues meant the club lost money regardless of the crowd.
It is the basis of why hawthorn hates carlton
The article suggests that Hawthorn left Glenferrie Oval out of their own free will. It also claims that Hawthorn decided after a three year trial period, to make Princes Park their permanent base. Are you suggesting that the Hawks actually didn't want to leave Glenferrie Oval at all?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back