the baby hawks are hell impressive

Remove this Banner Ad

dmt

Debutant
Jul 20, 2023
AFL Club
Geelong
******* hell that Sammy Mitchell unit is killin it. Hawks started the year off with a pretty shitty first 5 weeks, even with the early win against NM. 4 months later they’ve won 6 more games with a squad full of babies bar Breust and 4 of them against current top 8 sides. 6 months ago, I really thought they’d be on two wins best case scenario.

Pains me to say but that bloke will eventually become a premiership coach, but it is Hawthorn and winning flags seems to be their thing since the 60’s. Getting rid of the 4x premiership troglodyte coach was the correct call.

Plus his infamous Essendon jab is the greatest gif in footy history so it’s hard to dislike the guy.

Coach of the season in my biased opinion.

To get us on 7 wins after shedding close 1000 games worth of experience is way beyond my or any other pundits expectations. Most had us a certainty for the spoon - especially as we were by far the youngest team in the comp.

OK then. Talk about Geelong if you like but I thought this thread was about Hawthorn?

There will be 17 other teams who will go flagless this season without Hawthorn so it's moot where we end up finishing.

The fact is we are on the right path.

I've been saying this. People predicting they'd fall apart like we did in 2021 because they culled players like we (North) did were totally misreading the environment. What really ****ed us and sent us into the hellpit is the total lack of coaching department continuity, Hawthorn have a good coach who's been able to put all the pieces he wants in place already. It was always going to turn sooner.

Coach of the season in my biased opinion.

To get us on 7 wins after shedding close 1000 games worth of experience is way beyond my or any other pundits expectations. Most had us a certainty for the spoon - especially as we were by far the youngest team in the comp.

Adam Kingsley still ahead for my money for COTY

But Mitchell has done a decent job and deserves a lot of praise.

Adam Kingsley still ahead for my money for COTY

But Mitchell has done a decent job and deserves a lot of praise.

Kinglsey, Fly and Mitchell. Take your pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said it in the hawks gameday thread, and the review. When teams have started getting physical, the hawks have stood up, totally ignored it, and stuck to the gameplan.
Most teams (even the most mature sides) tend to start fighting back and giving away stupid frees. The last 2 weeks especially, because thebhawks haven't bitten back, our opponent has then gone even harder and started giving away very basic frees.

This will be huge when we are contending

Hawthorn are a better team than us in 2023 if we are talking the only metrics that matter

1) expectation vs reality
2) they’re closer to a premiership than us
We beat them this year and are higher on the ladder than them.
Not sure how they're closer to a premiership?
North are closer to a premiership if we're using youth quantity as a measuring stick.

Still 16th. :cool:
I know, how good!

We still need some elite talent and so it's bloody great to be playing like this knowing that even if we win every game, we can't slide further down the draft order.

Perfect end to the season for us at this stage.

At the start of the year I was hoping for a plucky season with some promising signs but enough losses to ensure a high pick. I couldn't have asked for more tbh.

Start of the season we were without Mitch Lewis and he’s probably the most important player in our team after Sicily.

We have no forward structure without him and even when he has a quiet game like today he still takes the opponents best defender and provides a target. Makes it easier on the other forwards and just makes our whole team better.

Dear Hawks,

I have always had a healthy respect for you, even during that 11-year stretch when you treated us like your favourite butt-plug.

But I digress, please keep it up next week and beat the Dees.

Yours sincerely,
SBYM

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back