Are AFL commentators (1990 onwards) better than the VFL era ones?

Remove this Banner Ad

Modern TV commentators are briefed on entertainment and to keep it interesting even if the game is a blowout. So, we get a lot of unnecessary waffle. The world of footy commentary is littered with horrible cliches that do nothing but serve as bait for remote controls to get thrown through your brand-new 65-inch Samsung smart TV screen. I grew up in era where the radio call was the most important for me...they made the most of the excitement a champion full forward would bring to the game. Somehow they brought the atmosphere of the game into your living room. These days on TV it's all about analysis overload and technicalities the average footy fan doesn't really care about. They hire special comments people who have the time to think up something insightful, and then say something dumb anyway. The only thing Footy fans care about is, who on their team has the ball and how many times they kick it or handball it to a teammate and will that result in a goal?

Don Scott grew on me to the point where I really liked him for 'special comments'. Him and McKenna were brilliant together. Cometti and Scott were brilliant in the 89 Granny.
Yu can't afford to do it in Fyyyyynals..Look what happens! That was when Schulze over-ran a ball in the backline in the 2nd Q of the '89 GF. Don Scott was excellent as a commentator, as was Skilton. Dennis Cometti was also an awesome presence too.

This grumpy old bastard would say that television and of course technology are better now at least. As for the commentators no way. We win a premiership and what gem does that idiot Brayshaw come up with? "Cats fans stand up to your full height" fmd.

The problem is with the saturation of coverage, there are more jobs available, and some clowns get a spot who simply wouldn't have been allowed near a microphone in days gone by.

James Brayshaw. What is his football qualification? Zero. Apart from being the worst kind of sycophantic fanboy.

If people genuinely wanted to get rid of the boys club mentality of footy, start with commentary first. Because half the clowns would be out tomorrow.

They brought excitement. Peter Landy wasn't accurate and he probably wasn't super knowledgable but man I like listening to him....lol! Him, Roberts and Cometti had great vocal tones.

The massive difference was he was genuine. That was really him. Good, bad, and everything in between. He also bizarrely thought footy was the attraction and he should stay out of the way and not try to be the star.

I've said it multiple times, but if a car ploughed off a highway and took McAvanay, Taylor, Russell and Brayshaw (for starters) with it the standards would improve dramatically. A bus would probably be more accurate but let's start small.

Personal note on Bruce. He always sucked. The myth has grown legs in recent years than he only became cringeworthy later on. He always was, and he's the one who started the pathetic habit of calling players by their first names. They aren't your friends Bruce, you didn't go to school with them, it's just creepy and pathetic (much like your commentary in general).

90's was the peak for me, with the 80's not far behind. Nostalgia probably plays a big part in that, but I really don't think you can deny that those periods were better as far as commentary goes. (and the game in general) Grybas and Walls were great, on radio.

The massive difference was he was genuine. That was really him. Good, bad, and everything in between. He also bizarrely thought footy was the attraction and he should stay out of the way and not try to be the star.

I've said it multiple times, but if a car ploughed off a highway and took McAvanay, Taylor, Russell and Brayshaw (for starters) with it the standards would improve dramatically. A bus would probably be more accurate but let's start small.

Personal note on Bruce. He always sucked. The myth has grown legs in recent years than he only became cringeworthy later on. He always was, and he's the one who started the pathetic habit of calling players by their first names. They aren't your friends Bruce, you didn't go to school with them, it's just creepy and pathetic (much like your commentary in general).
Good post but I'm a McAvaney fan, I don't think theres ever been a commentator study and learn the sports he called mire than Bruce. Was he cringeworthy at times, absolutely but best sports caller Australua has ever had for me.

90's was the peak for me, with the 80's not far behind. Nostalgia probably plays a big part in that, but I really don't think you can deny that those periods were better as far as commentary goes. (and the game in general) Grybas and Walls were great, on radio.
Grybas was the future, shame what happened. He was a class caller, even his Mundine fight calls were good, he was a pro along the lines of Bruce and Dennis.

There are some that I like that most others loathe but I come at it from the angle that I know how footy works so I don't need a commentator to teach me the game.

Peter Landy
Bruce McAvaney
Dennis Cometti
Tim Lane
Brian Taylor
Dwyane Russell
Sandy Roberts

I don't.mind this most recent batch coming in Pappalia, Bennett etc.

I used to love Barge and JB together bouncing off each other on the radio, they used to make me laugh.

Commentators generally kept improving until Triple M phenomenon. Guys on that, especially Brayshaw, were absolute egomaniacs, and liked to talk about their own commentary constantly. They could be entertaining and suited to radio, especially where there were hours of build up on a Friday night. But then when they started getting tv gigs as other commentators like Commeti and Bruce retired, it all went to s**t

When I first started watching footy it was McAvaney, Landy, Cometti, Roberts and Morphett as the play by play callers, with Peter McKenna, Bernie Quinlan, Ross Glendinning and a few others as the experts. It was a golden era.

I know it’s popular to hate him but if it wasn’t known who he supported I genuinely don’t think people would have a problem with Whately. He’s knowledgeable, a true footy nerd, he is eloquent, he knows the game.

I like Kelli Underwood also

Wish Whately commentated prime time Fox Footy games. Probably has too many commitments (AFL 360, SEN mid week, SEN footy commentary)

Can handle the big moments like Huddo.

As a Pies fan his call with Andy Maher next to him vs Carlton Rd 23 at the end was class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wish Whately commentated prime time Fox Footy games. Probably has too many commitments (AFL 360, SEN mid week, SEN footy commentary)

As a Pies fan his call with Andy Maher next to him vs Carlton Rd 23 at the end was class.

Whately is the best commentator by a country mile at the moment. It's not even close.

I recall fondly Michael Williamson often having the gall to criticise on air the opinions of the one and only, RD Barrassi, after his retirement. And Ron gave as good as he got.

Whilst commentating finals games.

I then thought and still do, a bit of honesty and fearlessness in the comnentary box adds to the whole experience.

It's not so much the commentators that have changed but the way sport is presented that changed and is now more about entertainment than the sport. You see it on the nightly news where they will show a malee or freak moment in basketball or something but hardly ever give scores.

Last edited:
One of the things i have noticed about current AFL commentators in particular (and in comparison to past AfL and present commentators in other sports) is how much time they talk about the 'state' of the game rather than the actual game.

It is a constant stream of 'if Collingwood kick the next two it'll be hard to come back' and 'St Kilda really have these big mobile boys in attack... they are 190cm but play like they are bigger, and it gives them such flexibility...' rather than 'great kick by Daicos... goal '. Often this happens while play is going on, and at the expense of actually commentating the play. It also extends to breaks - they rarely seem to report or observe, but also don't really analyse. It is always more commentary on the 'story' (eg "what is the story of this one so far BT....")

This can be incredibly frustrating for supporters of both teams. If Essendon are 6 goals up they just want to watch and enjoy. They don't want endless commentary on whether or not Richmond can make a come back. But neither do the Richmond fans...

I cannot imagine this in other sports either. "Well BT, if Arsenal get the first one after half time they'll be right back in it...". Or "geez the Lakers would want to make sure they don't concede a 3 here... if the Celtics make one or two more they might have a sniff of a comeback".

Old school commentary was a bit shallow at times but it was almost all just calling the game. Sometimes they put their own unique spin on it a la Dennis or Bruce but it was incredibly.understated compared to today. Dennis might drop a 'centimeter perfect' once a week... at just the right moment...

Collingwood have closed like the Grim Reaper....they hold Carlton's heart in their hand right now.

Then a few weeks later...Sydney have stared down the Grim Reaper and lived to tell the tale...spine-tingling commentary.

Grybas was the future, shame what happened. He was a class caller, even his Mundine fight calls were good, he was a pro along the lines of Bruce and Dennis.
In his tribute played at his funeral. Eddie McGuire had the best take about Grybas.
"He actually made watching it better"

Perfect

Russell today breathlessly told us that Essendon lost last week (Anzac Day) in one of the "greatest three quarter time comebacks".

It was 28 points. Without looking I reckon there would 50 other games that had bigger margins overrun.

Clown.

I honestly do not know why commentators are even needed.

These topics are always basically a question of 'who is the least awful'.

How many people prefer going to live sport as opposed to watching it on TV? Almost everyone.

And how many go to live sport and think to themselves 'man, wouldn't it be so much better if some annoying fu**wit kept talking at me the entire time I'm watching this game'??

No one. Ever.

It's like we moved from radio to TV 100 years ago and just forgot that we actually don't need some deadshit wannabe celebrity telling us what is happening even though we can literally see it!!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back