Are AFL commentators (1990 onwards) better than the VFL era ones?

Remove this Banner Ad

We need more Mark Ricciuto calling Adelaide games. Most unbiased commentary you’ll hear.

Watch a bit of NRL here and there these days since moving up North - surprisingly (to me anyway) their commentators are far more palatable than their AFL counterparts.

90's was the peak for me, with the 80's not far behind. Nostalgia probably plays a big part in that, but I really don't think you can deny that those periods were better as far as commentary goes. (and the game in general) Grybas and Walls were great, on radio.
I could say the same thing about the NBA.

To me the 1990s was the peak as well with Michael Jordan bulls era.

1980s NBA basketball 🏀 commentary was good too.

I could just go on YouTube and watch game 6 of the 1998 NBA finals between Chicago bulls and Utah jazz. Yep that was Michael Jordans last game as a bull.

How the hell did Abbey Holmes get a gig on the boundary line ?? (actually, I reckon I know the answer)

Her onfield interviews are woeful ......... "you must be proud", "you must be pleased"

I really want a player one day to just answer all of her inane questions in the manner that she has asked them ... with a straight out 'yes or 'no'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back