Are Collingwood our most important off-field ally?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking about this during the week, they are really the only other club that really stands up for equality and against the all the AFL BS. We can I guess because of large memberships and solid financial foundations. I also respect the way that they go about it. They are a hard working team who have worked for their successes to date—may be with a little bit more Father/Son luck. I think that our board and their board if they work together can really push the AFL to pull its arse out.

As long as we aren't playing against them, I have no problem being allies with the Magpies. There are a lot of good supporters for every toothless bogan (although it pains to admit it)

When you ask alot of footy fans which team they hate most, many will say Collingwood.
Personally I have no problem with them and actually admire the amount of on field and off field success they have had over the years
There is also alot of negativity towards Eddie but again I don't mind him at all, he isn't afraid to speak truths and stand up for what is right and just

Pies were always in favour of subsidising Vic clubs so they got more home games in Victoria. Those subsidies and the corresponding poor draws as Melbourne etc didnt have to sell many home games put Hawthorn in the unfortunate situation of having to sacrifice a very decent chunk of its home games for Tasmania. To think we could (and should ) have had all our home games at the MCG. Instead Melbourne gets massive subsidies and a blockbuster every year and other teams get massive handouts.

On the trust scale I would put Eddie alongside Vlad.

Strategic relationship...

With the Bombers buggered Collingwood and Hawthorn are the only Victorian clubs that aren't hung, drawn and quartered by AFL subsidisation

Exactly, but the AFL had nothing to do with the Bombrês. They sank their own ship, and the AFL has done as much as it can to bail them out of the wreckage. On another note, I wonder what exactly how that fine of theirs was spent.

Pies were always in favour of subsidising Vic clubs so they got more home games in Victoria. Those subsidies and the corresponding poor draws as Melbourne etc didnt have to sell many home games put Hawthorn in the unfortunate situation of having to sacrifice a very decent chunk of its home games for Tasmania. To think we could (and should ) have had all our home games at the MCG. Instead Melbourne gets massive subsidies and a blockbuster every year and other teams get massive handouts.

On the trust scale I would put Eddie alongside Vlad.

No one is forcing us to play in Tasmania. In fact the AFL have made numerous comments pushing us out...

Per capita they seem to have a higher percentage of nuff nuff fans, but as an organisation (and dare I use the Franchise word) they are first class.
We really should work together with them more on behalf of Victorian football interests.
Eddie has the clout, cash and weight (pun intended) to be a very effective ally.
FIGJAM seems to have mellowed too so why not build an evil empire with them and * the Northern and Western hordes.
Go for it Hawthorn, at least you know Collingwood aren't a whore to the AFL so will actually back you in a fight, unlike these handout clubs!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you guys had people talking about not buying memberships if money from them is distributed to other clubs? People on our board have been threatening to do that, personally I think its a bit far but can see where they're coming from. I live overseas so my membership is effectively a donation to the club anyway.

Im sure this point has been made many times here but if struggling clubs need more money the AFL should be taking it out of the broadcasting deal

Collingwood is our biggest ally and at the same time our biggest competitor (in Victoria at least). I'm sure that Newbold and the board have enough business sense and experience to manage the relationship. I suspect McGuire is the give him an inch and he'll take a mile type of bloke.

I used to hate Collingwood many years ago like most I suppose but I don't mind them at all at least Eddie will speak up .

I really think that both Collingwood and Hawthorn should stick together as we are both power clubs that can speak out about the AFL and not be afraid as other clubs are just because they are getting a hand out.

People only hate Collingwood because it's the done thing. What have they ever done to earn hatred? I read somewhere that it stemmed from them being so successful in the early VFL period and them being a working class club beating the rich establishment clubs like Carlton and Melbourne. If that's where the hatred stems from then I don't want a part of it.

We share mutual enemies (Carlton and Essenscum). We are both clubs that have built what we have now without assistance compared to the $wines. Eddie speaks louder against bullsh!t from the AFL than anyone. He's biased and one eyed - but so he should be, he's club president.

The Pies fans aren't even that bad. Granted I never went to Victoria Park back in the day - but from what I can see their fan base is like any and has a pretty diverse following. If you want a feral fan base who hates us pathologically then look to the Tiggers.

Collingwood and Hawthorn can be powerful off field allies - we both have the money, memberships and power to counteract the AFL going too far with helping the northern clubs out.

Add to all of this that Bucks seems a good bloke who says more good about Hawthorn than anyone else external to the club - I see zero reason to hate Collingwood*

*all of the above will be rescinded if they ever beat us in a grand final.

Have you guys had people talking about not buying memberships if money from them is distributed to other clubs? People on our board have been threatening to do that, personally I think its a bit far but can see where they're coming from. I live overseas so my membership is effectively a donation to the club anyway.

Im sure this point has been made many times here but if struggling clubs need more money the AFL should be taking it out of the broadcasting deal
We aint tipping in if the draft isn't pure mate ;) so I don't mind buying a membership

If I wasnt a Hawk supporter I would probably be a Collingwood supporter as 2 of my best friends follow them.

If I wasnt a Hawk supporter I would probably be a Collingwood supporter as 2 of my best friends follow them.
Someone had to take one step too far.
images

Remove this Banner Ad

Back