Redbacks No More - SACA spuds are back

Remove this Banner Ad

What a remarkable last day. We collapse again, Zampa fires with the bat as the tail wags and we hold on to a draw.

Absolutely stunning. What on earth do we do now.

Bat him up the order & clean out the board.

As nice as the draw is, it's just paper over the cracks.

Our top/middle order failed in the second dig, AGAIN. It's almost like clockwork. Zampa saved it for us and it still nearly wasn't enough.

It is but when we have the opportunity to fix it, we screw it up.

As nice as the draw is, it's just paper over the cracks.

Our top/middle order failed in the second dig, AGAIN. It's almost like clockwork. Zampa saved it for us and it still nearly wasn't enough.
Id love to be a fly on the wall at team meetings. These continual failures must be discussed even if they say in the media they just move on.

What is the mindset of these blokes when they take the field ?? How can a team laden with talent, which IMO it is, rack up 400+ and then 2 days later implode. It just boggles my mind.

First innings batting was good.

Bowling depth obviously an issue. No Sayers, no Richardson, no Botha. Leaves a hole.

Plus Mennie and Putland obviously struggled to back up after Perth. Mennie didn't play, Putland bowled the least overs of our quicks.

Second innings batting terrible. Nice to fight out a draw but our top six should have got the job done.

Would think we'd rotate some quicks for the next game but hopefully top six, Ludemann and Zampa stays the same.

Putland rested. Perhaps Richardson (available? ), Mennie and Worrall to bowl.

This is going to be the kind of rebuild of the rebuild we see at Melb.

The likes of Smith, Ross and Head must be persevered with now as does Zampa.

The real problem lies with Cossy, Ferg & Cooper. These are the guys who have had a lot of cricket invested in them and should now be carrying the batting. Problem is they seem unable to convert good starts - lots of 50-80 which is not enough when they're all doing it.

Agree our bowling was thin and hopefully Rich and Sayers come back.

Then during winter we need to go back to the cupboard and continue the rebuild next summer. My 6 yo is already a competent leggie with a nice little wrong'un - may be a chance

Putland just can't stay on the park for any length of time. With Richo and Sayers in the side he is more than capable of that 3rd seamer role. Zampa of course the spinner and you pick 7 batters including Luders.

On paper they are a very talented lineup, but the problem is their minds are made of soft serve ice cream.

Putland and Worrall just not good enough, same for Lawford. Batting horrible. Pick the kids preferably from SA.
Putland has been good in small bursts, but as said above he can't stay on the park enough.
Worrall and Lawford are average. Losing Sayers was devastating, Richo struggles with long form games.
We have really struggled to blood young South Aussies into the team, they regularly fail/aren't good enough.
We've tried bringing players from I/S. There's a huge list of these. All of Zampa (NSW), Ludeman (VIC), Worrall (VIC), Lawford (VIC), Klinger (VIC), McDonald (VIC), Botha (South Africa) came from elsewhere.
The ACB had issues with our development as far as 15 years ago. Some young guys are starting to show some skills now, Head, Ross, Richo, and bringing in experienced guys or guys who couldn't get a senior gig from other states have tried to cover the cracks.
The truth is we are just really bad at what we do.
We have a distinguished history of tarnishing quality names from I/S. Berry and Cox the most recent. Ironically our current national coach was overlooked by us as senior coach because we felt he was too close to the guys to be able to coach them effectively.
WTF?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That excuse for not hiring Lehmann is just that, an excuse. There was issues between himself and the board for years.

I am finding the lack of clarity over Berry's role moving forward ridiculous.

What is going on down there Nielsen?!!

If it's like he coached the Aussie cricket team, he'd be still trying to figure out how to turn on the laptop.

This is the side I would pick:
K.Smith, Cosgrove, Ferguson, Head (need to get him up the order and develop), Cooper, McDonald, Ludeman and then the bowlers: Zampa, Richardson, Winter, Valente

Need to look at getting Haberfield, George back in the off season because bowling depth is abysmal at the moment. Worth considering Harry Nielsen ahead of Ludeman in the future as well I feel, talented player and SACA need to rebuild now after the debacle of losing Botha and Klinger. Cosgrove, Cooper, Ludeman on thin ice.

Yep and that's why I think we need to get Haberfield back. I wasn't aware he had gone to Vic. Yet another blunder by the SACA. George, Klinger, Botha, Harris, Cosgrove (his best years), Haberfield. You have to seriously question why the people in charge, are still in charge.
Disagree on Cosgrove. He is 29yo and still in the prime of his career albeit at the back couple of years.

You couldn't get rid of the best keeper in domestic cricket (Luders) or one of the best bowlers (Sayers). This would be the exact same thing as getting rid of those guys you mentioned. Im all for SA talent but dont play them for the sake of it.

Disagree on Cosgrove. He is 29yo and still in the prime of his career albeit at the back couple of years.

You couldn't get rid of the best keeper in domestic cricket (Luders) or one of the best bowlers (Sayers). This would be the exact same thing as getting rid of those guys you mentioned. Im all for SA talent but dont play them for the sake of it.
The side I posted was for the next match. And Ludeman isn't one of the best keeper-batsmen in the country. Nevill, Whiteman, Paine, Hartley, Wade are all ahead of him. We need to be selecting players that have the talent to one day play for Australia because right now we are well behind.
Sayers is out for the season. Cosgrove is a cancer for our state, I just don't have the patience or the belief that he would be apart of any shield winning side.

Wade and Paine aren't as good, only Hartley is as good a keeper but will agree the others are better bats.

Cosgrove is an interesting one. Not many, and no one from SA has made as many FC runs as Cossie has since he left. Ive watched him play a couple times this season and he is a completely different player. Its almost like he feels the pressure of being THE man. Down in Tassie he was just another player.

If we are only going to pick guys who have the talent to MAYBE play for our country then Travis Head fills all 11 spots with Zampa 12th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back