No Oppo Supporters CAS hands down guilty verdict - Players appealing - Dank shot - no opposition - (cont in pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WADA have appealed, yes. But they have a deadline of July 6th to deliver to CAS a brief of their evidence for a potential future hearing. Thus far, to our knowledge at least, that hasn't occurred yet.

Is this confirmend? I thought it to be July 8th?

Does anybody know what time of day on July 6 that WADA needs to decide whether to progress? Might be a count down. Surely they wouldn't string it out till the last hour though? Surely??

CAS has the ability to throw out WADA's appeal - It's happened on a few occasions.

More than a few. In drug cases, an appeal by WADA is not the slam dunk many on a certain board seem to think it is.

"In addition, there are 13 doping cases listed on their case law page where WADA have appealed a decision. 8 involved Adverse analytical findings (of which 3 were dismissed, 4 partially upheld and 1 upheld). The other 5 involved a test refusal, two administrative cases and 2 cases related to the Spanish inquiry into blood doping, which relied on testing of a blood sample. Again, not one non presence use case. "

Just want to make sure no one is hoping that the 6th will come and go and we'll be clear - WADA will be presenting their case and will do so at the latest possible moment so that they can spend as much time on it as possible. How many assignments did you hand in in high school/uni before the due date? If they were going to drop it, this is not the point they would do it - they would have done it already I'm sorry. So please stop crossing your fingers that this could finish tomorrow because this is going as far as it can - cross your fingers that there is no new twist in the evidence, that's all.

Just want to make sure no one is hoping that the 6th will come and go and we'll be clear - WADA will be presenting their case and will do so at the latest possible moment so that they can spend as much time on it as possible. How many assignments did you hand in in high school/uni before the due date? If they were going to drop it, this is not the point they would do it - they would have done it already I'm sorry. So please stop crossing your fingers that this could finish tomorrow because this is going as far as it can - cross your fingers that there is no new twist in the evidence, that's all.

WADA's 45 day extension to compile their case against the not guilty verdict of the 34 players expires on July 6th. Should WADA fail to submit their case outline to CAS by that deadline, my understanding is that would be the end of WADA's involvement.

To date there has been no indication WADA have submitted their case outline, and surely if they had, the players would have been notified and the press in turn been all over it.

As we've seen from all the twists and turns so far, anything is possible. So I don't totally discount the possibility this thing won't reach a CAS hearing.

Last edited:
Unbelievable that they're taking this down to the wire again - wasting time. Just get the show on the road and have this done one way or another.

Plainly that's not the way ASADA or WADA operate, and it sure makes the public 'sympathy' McDevitt expressed for the players some time back seem pretty ****ing insincere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a great read - Chip has done a fantastic job. Our club was run like a third tier suburban outfit but with a massive multi-million dollar budget, with no one meaning to break rules but amateur hour everywhere.

Also feel for Doc Reid - he is still hurting badly about his role in all this - feels he let down the players badly.

He did.

People are saying that there is a small chance that CAS will throw the appeal out, not that WADA will drop the case.

People are saying that there is a small chance that CAS will throw the appeal out, not that WADA will drop the case.

The same thing was said prior to ASADA presenting their case to the AFL tribunal, and judging by how little success they had I wonder how close that was to actually happening.

I would say that its already been submitted, just not publicised.

The most recent comment of the WADA website, dated June 1st, reads as follows >

"As with all pending legal cases, WADA will refrain from commenting further on this matter, or indeed its recent appeal on the 34 current and former Essendon AFL players, until any decisions have been made by CAS".

Reading that literally, perhaps until CAS actually approve WADA's case outline - once they get around to submitting it of course - we won't hear anything.

The most recent comment off the CAS website, dated as it is, reads as follows >

Australian Football - WADA refers the case of 34 players to the CAS
12.05.2015 11:08 Age: 54 days
Lausanne, 12 May 2015 – The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has filed an appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against the decision issued by the Australian Football League (AFL) Anti-Doping Tribunal dated 31 March 2015. In such decision, 34 current and former players of Essendon FC were found not to have breached the AFL Anti-Doping Code.

WADA requests that the CAS issue a new decision based on an appropriate burden of proof and evidentiary standards. It goes on to request that each of the players be found to have committed an anti-doping rule violation, and that an “appropriate sanction” be imposed.

The Australian Football League (AFL) and the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) have been nominated as interested parties and, as a consequence, may participate in the proceedings.

The CAS arbitration procedure has been opened and the parties will exchange written submissions before a hearing is held in front of a panel of CAS arbitrators. The CAS will not comment any further at this time.

ASADA and WADA do their thing...we have been screwed!
Nothing there!
All we can look forward to is the legal ramifications!
Anyone heard from Caro et al lately???!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back