Player Watch Ash Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Larkey at 73 and Mitch Lewis at 76 are just extraordinary. If only we could jag a genuine full forward with such a speculative pick!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That will never happen as we never take risks on later pick talls, in fact any picks. A few years ago was a draft with some highly rated talls early in year that fell away such as keeler and Lemney. We could have taken a chance with some later picks and given one a go. They may never make it but neither do a lot of our speculative draft picks.

We are probably not the best team for Ash to be playing for, in some regards.

I think the opportunity is certainly there for a tall, mobile forward. We’ve been crying out for one since Cloke.

However the game plan under Bucks demanded high forward pressure, it’s been ramped up even further under Fly, and with our 2023 flag the copycats are going to be replicating what we do league-wide.

Ash is simply no good at applying pressure. At all. If he was you could tolerate some low-possession games, some miscues, some ebb-and-flow in his confidence as he gains exposure to the top level. He isn’t and it’s probably only our dearth of forward options, and the fact he is a good citizen that keeps him on the list.

He's unreliable. He trained the house down in December and worked very hard, but he is what he is. If he doesn't mark the ball, his impact is zero. I suspect he's played his last game for us, barring a cavalcade of injuries.
Really hope your wrong ,But unfortunately, I think you may be on the money here.
I think his best chance would be 3rd tall when Mcstay returns to join Checkers, plenty of time to get it right in the vfl, Reefs form may have a big say in this, and maybe I’m dreaming 😴…..

I think his best chance would be 3rd tall when Mcstay returns to join Checkers, plenty of time to get it right in the vfl, Reefs form may have a big say in this, and maybe I’m dreaming …..
I don’t see how McStay coming in is going to improve Ash’s chances of selection. It will make Reef’s a fair bit harder, and he’s actually been serviceable.

I think his best chance would be 3rd tall when Mcstay returns to join Checkers, plenty of time to get it right in the vfl, Reefs form may have a big say in this, and maybe I’m dreaming
emoji42.png
…..
I don’t see how McStay coming in is going to improve Ash’s chances of selection. It will make Reef’s a fair bit harder, and he’s actually been serviceable.

As I mentioned, he has to get his game right in the vfl between now & Mcstays return to be selected . His best chance of performing is as 3rd tall.

it's a bit of a stretch no doubt, for someone that doesn't tackle much or apply pressure but i'd give AJ a stint down back (vfl) as that Howe type intercept marking / spoiling 3rd defender

he needs a circuit breaker both in terms of form & confidence and how he sees (what he values in) his own game

he'd need some time to learn a new part of the game but he certainly has the skills /athletic profile and has shown he can play at the level. the challenge and change in focus might kickstart a new love affair (appreciation) for the intangibles ..intensity, desperation and consistency

at the moment, he has a defender (some of the best in the comp) always locked on his shoulder and his confidence seems to yo-yo based on whether he can take a mercurial mark every quarter

before he's written off completely, IMO, a change of scenery from front to back should be trialled. in some ways, you could argue, not too dissimilar to the change /move Howey made at the time he crossed over to the Pies.

he'd need some time to learn a new part of the game but he certainly has the skills /athletic profile and has shown he can play at the level.
Can we talk about his athletic profile?

He looks the part, and can jump over a tall building…

But he’s not fast for his height, not particularly strong, has poor endurance…

Is he actually the athlete we all treat as a given?

yeah fair question

my read would be that he has the raw athletic tools but again, it's about his application or lack thereof.

and currently, he's not maximising any of those tools cos he's simply not applying himself to the level required or with any degree of urgency. it certainly does seem mental in so far as 'want' or desire to do whatever it takes to succeed and therefore exploit the potential

either which way, if he doesn't want it bad enough, all the potential and athletic gifts will not make a jot of difference

can you re-set his mindset so he gets excited about a run-down tackle, spoil, smother, closing space, niggling his opponent ..not sure you can but IMV worthwhile finding out before you cut him

I swear Ash had sticky hands when he first arrived and it's one big reason he got himself senior opportunities.

That talent seems to have evaporated despite increased experience playing at the elite level.

No doubt he put in a handful of eye catching games over the last 2 years but given the brand of never say die football we were playing it would have been hard not to get caught up in the moment and become the best version of yourself.

Personally I think the 2022 preliminary final served as a warning to where we currently sit as that was one of the more disappointing performances I can recall. He finished with just the 2 disposals but it wasn't the lack of goals that irked me it was his complete lack of desperation and physical presence in a game that meant so much. Close to inexcusable given the 1pt loss with only his inexperience (not age he wasn't a kid) enabling me to move on from the thought that display cost us a GF appearance.

So here we are and after being given an opportunity ahead of Reef after a promising preseason from both, he (and admittedly most of his teammates) was poor in the 2 games he played and one wonders if he can get himself going when the going gets tough for both the team and him personally.

Needs to find a way to lift at VFL level because right now he looks to be at the crossroads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AJ seemed to at least get to a few contests. He even had a few repeat efforts. ATM, he seems be building different aspects of his game but hasn't put them all together. I can see him have a real breakout game in the near future. He still has plenty to offer

Has he kicked a goal in 2024?

Has he kicked a goal in 2024?

He’s likely a good bloke, and I’d love for him to have made it, but we would probably be better off paying out his contract at the end of the year for the opportunity cost. There are a few others with him who would not be particularly difficult delisting decisions at the end of the year. Begg is one.

So because Ash got abused by a few idiots on social media we aren’t allowed to criticise the way he’s playing. I got it.
He’s not getting dropped from the VFL side though is he?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back