ASIA Cup 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

The game may well have been lost at selection but I reckon Ange did the right thing. We certainly created enough chances to get a result but unfortunately it wasn't to be.

You want to win every game of course but whether we won, lost or drew wasn't of huge consequence. Of course losing now means we potentially face Japan earlier than when we may have had we beaten the Koreans but so be it. To win the Cup you have to beat quality teams regardless of when you ultimately face them.

It was a risk to start with Cahill, Leckie and Kruse all on the bench but we have bigger fish to fry than defeating South Korea in a relative dead rubber. To have those guys fresh for the next game against China could be absolutely huge.

Disagree. We let a great chance to make life for ourselves easier. China will also not be push overs.
I could understand starting without Cahill, but not the other 2. Especially Kruse who is barely playing at club level.
We are not strong enough to be arrogant at selection.

Disagree. We let a great chance to make life for ourselves easier. China will also not be push overs.
I could understand starting without Cahill, but not the other 2. Especially Kruse who is barely playing at club level.
We are not strong enough to be arrogant at selection.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. FWIW I don't think it was arrogance which determined our lineup for that match - no doubt that we knew it would be a tough match with or without those three starting.

I think we clearly rested them because we knew ultimately that game was a relative dead rubber.

Japan will win the tournament. My only hope was that we wouldn't meet them until the final and that the pressure of being the hottest Asia Cup favourite ever would weigh heavy on them. I don't think they'll slip up before then.

That game definitely wasn't a dead rubber. It even changes the city we now play in.

It wasn't a dead rubber and I don't think Australia treated it that way. They had more possession and shots at goal than Korea but just failed to hit the back of the net.

It wasn't a dead rubber and I don't think Australia treated it that way. They had more possession and shots at goal than Korea but just failed to hit the back of the net.

You don't think changing 3 upfront was just a little bit arrogant?
Korea played a smart game. They parked the bus and looked to counter attack. Possession numbers are pretty much irrelevant in that circumstance. We missed some great chances, but so did they.

You don't think changing 3 upfront was just a little bit arrogant?
Korea played a smart game. They parked the bus and looked to counter attack. Possession numbers are pretty much irrelevant in that circumstance. We missed some great chances, but so did they.

I suppose we could argue that point until the cows come home and I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. All I know is we created more opportunities than Korea did and if a couple of those went in it would have been seen as brilliant. I just think some are over playing Korea's effort when in fact I reckon Australia were the better team on the night.

All will be revealed on Thursday night, if Australia lose it will be another wasted campaign but if they win it sets up a huge game against most likely Japan.

How good is Cahill, 2 goals and probably the best goal of the series.

Obviously past his best from an age and international view point but still as dangerous a striker as you can get. That match was plodding along until he ignited it!

Surely he now has to be considered the best player to ever represent the Socceroos.

Just an absolute marvel who continues to produce on the biggest stages time and time again.

He may be 34 but he remains a world class finisher - the best header of the ball I've ever seen - and clearly our best option up front.

There has been some talk recently about a decline due to age but I'm not seeing it and as far as I'm concerned he can play until he's 50 if he keeps putting the ball in the back of the net.

Was a fairly entertaining game last night - very open - and great to see us progress through to the next stage. Next up is Japan who are the best national side in Asia and tournament favourites. Very difficult match and whilst I do expect Japan to come out on top, play as we have been and we're certainly not without a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to get through. If we play a first 30 mins like that against Japan though, we'll be 3-0 down in the blink of an eye. Hopefully Mile dusted off the cobwebs, he's going to be crucial.

Oh man, did anyone see that hysterical UAE fan during that tense penalty shoot out with Japan. Was feeling a bit worried about him, was just so passionate and emotional...

Very happy the good guys won, bit annoyed the cameras didn't show him celebrating.

Regardless Australia in the box seat now after Iran and Japan bundled out tonight :)

What a night of football! Two of the most absorbing clashes you could wish for. Huge effort by UAE to get over the line and hold their nerve.

Kind of vindicates what Ange has been spouting and that is he wants his best 11 ready for the last 4. There was no guarantee Japan would make it and also if they did no guarantee they could not be beaten.

I really like and rate the way UAE play and they will be another tough opponent on Tuesday night.

Time to take a deep breath! :thumbsu:

Australia vs UAE in the semi in Newcastle. :confused:

Pity its not being played in Melbourne. FFA have fluffed this up.

I must admit GoBlues I thought like this initially and was puzzled by the decision. That said I have enjoyed how this event has taken international sport to venues that rarely get to taste it. Canberra, Newcastle and to a lesser extent Brisbane are starved of these events and for the most part have turned up in good numbers.

I must admit GoBlues I thought like this initially and was puzzled by the decision. That said I have enjoyed how this event has taken international sport to venues that rarely get to taste it. Canberra, Newcastle and to a lesser extent Brisbane are starved of these events and for the most part have turned up in good numbers.

If you believe the rumours, Tourism Victoria and the Previous Vic Government were offered hosting the Semi Final by the FFA, but rejected it, saying they didn't want it to clash with the Australian ...

Agree TL with playing qualifying games in different venues around the country, but not playing one of the semi's or the final in the sporting capital of Australia well its just dumb.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back