Aussie sport tv - overseas fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Or how about you just tap into any of the millions of unsecure networks here in the USA... Download the torrent of the game at 3 times the speed you usually get back in Australia. :thumbsu:

Use VCL Media Player to watch it (super-slow mo is cool) and u have your football game..... If u look, you can even find HD quality torrents!!

Or you could subscribe to that website.....

If you are living somewhere and not travelling, Setanta's coverage in the UK & Ireland and the USA gets better every year too.. Last year we'd have 2 or 3 love games a week and some highlights shows..

Can only imagine it'll get better this year...

Could always download the Torrent of the Game

The best way to watch is in a pub.
If the country you are in has the game on pay tv and there is a pub near you with that channel go there and ask kindly to watch it. If you take a few mates along it would be much easier to get it changed.

Pros: Infinite supply of beer, great atmosphere, and spread the game

Cons: walking (are you lazy), may not get it changed

this is great thanks will remember this
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

For a footy-holic like myself living in Kansas, this is really the only way legally to watch the AFL. All of a sudden, I can't wait for the new season to start:D

If you are living somewhere and not travelling, Setanta's coverage in the UK & Ireland and the USA gets better every year too.. Last year we'd have 2 or 3 love games a week and some highlights shows..

Can only imagine it'll get better this year...

Well they've done it for two years. Can't say that they have done any better in the second year than they did in the first.

Not complaining overall. Three games a week live and the highlights show is better than nothing but they were doing that in the first year as well.

They dropped the live Brownlow coverage last year

The best way to watch is in a pub.
If the country you are in has the game on pay tv and there is a pub near you with that channel go there and ask kindly to watch it. If you take a few mates along it would be much easier to get it changed.

Pros: Infinite supply of beer, great atmosphere, and spread the game

Cons: walking (are you lazy), may not get it changed

Stupid, selfish AFL play games at times to suit Australians. Sometimes I just don't feel like going to the pub at 6AM on Saturday.

The Aussie Sport TV service is a definite improvement on the old Bigpond Video service. The full game should be up 24 hours after the game finishes (but isn't always the case). The old Bigpond videos were constantly stopping and buffering making it practically unwatchable. This one is it a bit smoother without all the stopping and starting.

But yeah, as others have said, get onto Setanta if you can. You get to see about half of each round live and replayed during the week. And for the rest, you can find torrents of the games which are usually excellent quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True. Forgot about that.

Did they show every finals game live in 07? As you say though, can't complain.

I'm pretty sure every finals game was live. At least all the Geelong ones I watched were. It's the regular season games that were a bit of a toss up as to whether they'd be covered or not. It didn't always appear to be the biggest games of the round covered, suggesting they were locked into certain games at the start of the season.

I can't even remember if the Hawks v Geelong game was telecast live, although the doggies game the week before definitely was.

I'm moving to Canada this year, so signing up to Setanta will be the first thing I look into. Hopefully the NA version is the same or better than the UK version. At least the time difference will be a bit friendlier with 11pm start times for an afternoon game.

True. Forgot about that.

Did they show every finals game live in 07? As you say though, can't complain.

I recall the Hawthorn v North Semi final in 07 was delayed 6 hours due to F1 qualifying session and NRL. All other finals were live I believe

NRL footy show has also been on Setanta in Aug & Sept for the last 2 years and is good for a few laughs

The Aussie Sport TV service is a definite improvement on the old Bigpond Video service. The full game should be up 24 hours after the game finishes (but isn't always the case). The old Bigpond videos were constantly stopping and buffering making it practically unwatchable. This one is it a bit smoother without all the stopping and starting.

But yeah, as others have said, get onto Setanta if you can. You get to see about half of each round live and replayed during the week. And for the rest, you can find torrents of the games which are usually excellent quality.

Aussie TV is no better than Big Pond.

You log into the AFL site, click the video you want to watch, are sent to the Big Pond Site and then redirected to the Aussie TV sport.

And then the original video you selected from the AFL site is not available on the Aussie TV site for 5 to 7 days after the event.

Yes, the buffering time is a bit better than the Big Pond Site, but AFL video worked better when it was run by the AFL.

And one final point.

The AFL onsold video distribution to Big Pond, and then Big Pond, but AFL INternational subscribers were never notified about this change.

So one day you logged onto the AFL site to watch a video ,and were mysteriously transferred to the Big Pond site, BUT you needed a new password which you were never notified about. Therefore you needed to make expensive overseas phone calls to TELSTRA ( who are unhelpful ) before you could access video on YOUR AFL Overseas Subscription.

Will be signing up with Setanta starting next month. Will also try to make it into various pubs wherever possible. Really enjoyed the finals atmosphere last year. Round 22 at the atrocious Islington Walkie, however.:mad:

I've read dubious things about the quality and consistency of this AussieSportTV, and the Bigpond association should sound warning bells.

Has anyone signed up to Setanta on Freeview in the UK?

As far as I'm aware, you need a Sky box to get AFL coverage, no? If you sign up on terrestrial digital Freeview you just get one crappy Setanta channel with barely any AFL coverage.

I rang their Scottish call centre but I might as well have rung my goldfish. The bloke I talked to had never heard of Aussie Rules. He thought I was talking about A-League soccer.

As far as I'm aware, you need a Sky box to get AFL coverage, no? If you sign up on terrestrial digital Freeview you just get one crappy Setanta channel with barely any AFL coverage.

I rang their Scottish call centre but I might as well have rung my goldfish. The bloke I talked to had never heard of Aussie Rules. He thought I was talking about A-League soccer.

Most games are on Setanta Sports 2 IIRC, and Setanta on Freeview mostly broadcast Setanta Sports 1.

Surely if someone was working there they would be handed a book on what they should know.
He could easily have looked on the television schedule and found it.

With worldondemand.net you can get an Aussie package which includes australianetwork.com (with 4 AFL matches a week) for about AUD$30-40 a month.

You can full-screen the feed, and the quality is almost approaching as good as TV.

I just subscribed, as our Japanese feed suddenly was dropped by our cable company.

I find if I access Bigpond footy through Windows Media Center there are no bufferring problems, none that I've noticed to date anyway.

Quality is definitely an issue, however perfectly watchable at a pinch.

Aussie TV is no better than Big Pond.

You log into the AFL site, click the video you want to watch, are sent to the Big Pond Site and then redirected to the Aussie TV sport.

And then the original video you selected from the AFL site is not available on the Aussie TV site for 5 to 7 days after the event.

Yes, the buffering time is a bit better than the Big Pond Site, but AFL video worked better when it was run by the AFL.

And one final point.

The AFL onsold video distribution to Big Pond, and then Big Pond, but AFL INternational subscribers were never notified about this change.

So one day you logged onto the AFL site to watch a video ,and were mysteriously transferred to the Big Pond site, BUT you needed a new password which you were never notified about. Therefore you needed to make expensive overseas phone calls to TELSTRA ( who are unhelpful ) before you could access video on YOUR AFL Overseas Subscription.

Well, I'm not going to disagree with you in general. Bottomline is either service was/is average at best. And like most things ymmv in terms of which worked better.

But I was just commenting from personal experience that I found the current service a little bit better, mainly from the buffering perspective. i.e when I can get to the replay it would at least play smoothly, which was better than nothing.

Really though, Setanta and torrents are miles ahead obviously.

You can also get it on Virgin instead of Sky, but yeah, you need to subscribe to pay tv. I never realised it was available on Freeview via Top Up TV (after using it for 18 months!!!) until after I'd signed up for Virgin TV. But if only Setanta 1 is available, it would be a waste of money.

Surely if someone was working there they would be handed a book on what they should know.
He could easily have looked on the television schedule and found it.

This is the UK we are talking about. The guy on the phone was probably Setanta's star employee. Customer service is a foreign concept in these parts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back