Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not surprised Lehmann has stood down, thought he might have done it after the series was over though.

If the captain has copped a ban for not stopping this ball tampering plan then the coach has to take responsibility for it happening under his watch too.

It would have been wrong for Lehmann to continue on as coach while Smith is sitting on the sidelines for a year.

Also just wanted to say I have seen a bunch of people posting on this who never usually talk cricket on this board, I hope you guys hang around and support the game of test cricket after all this stuff ends.

Test cricket isn't in great shape and its needs people to care about the on field play as much as they seem to care about the controversies the game can bring.

Not sure what CA was trying to achieve with those press conferences straight off a flight. The same result could've waited till after they've slept.

Fair point ...

... but not sure that sleep would be coming easy.

It was really shitty, but the PR folks would probably argue that it was the least worst.

Glad he did, we got what we needed form him. Unsure on Langer though, successful but odd. I hate his lips
Langer is the right choice for mine. You either buy in to his culture or go away. Its what we need right now.

Ive never had any issues with his lips personay

I get what your saying and to an extent i agree. But most of those were more "bad decisions in the heat of the moment" this was pre-meditated cheating. To me there is a huge difference. And i think the punishments fit the crime. Others wont agree and thats fine.

I never want to even suspect we are doing something like this EVER again. 12 months bans and the pain and suffering we are witnessing to me says that it is going to be a pretty good deterrent.

If other countries want to act differently then thats fine. The hard stance is the right stance.

Why boof keeps his job is beyond me. We need to fix this properly. And blaming soley the players is not enough
It’s hard to say really. I don’t reckon it was a “meeting” where they sat down for 20 mins going over the details. Would’ve been more as they were getting ready to go out “how about we try to get the ball changed?”. That to me swings it more in the “heat of the moment” as they were under pressure and well behind in the game and took it out there spur of the moment not wanting to lose the test. Pre-meditated says to me that they would do it in the second innings no matter what the result was looking like, slightly different from my view.

Also just wanted to say I have seen a bunch of people posting on this who never usually talk cricket on this board, I hope you guys hang around and support the game of test cricket after all this stuff ends.

Test cricket isn't in great shape and its needs people to care about the on field play as much as they seem to care about the controversies the game can bring.
I’m done with cricket. Well til next summer anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate just because someone is crying or upset doesn't mean they are '100% truthful'. Did you believe the tape story?
Are you aware that its been reported that Bancroft has a rep for ball work? Do you believe that we never ball tampered and suddenly started in with sandpaper? Do you really think anything can be done to the ball without the bowlers ok?

Gee by all means have sympathy for them but lets not kid ourselves.

Exactly, in regards to Bancroft he was also really remorseful after the 3rd day of play about cheating yet he was still lying in that press conference.
He is ‘remorseful’ again, just seems to me he has form. Cheating, lying all of it.
Lehmann and Smith surely knew by that 1st press conference what had happened and Smith continued to let him lie, Lehmann hadn’t already demanded he tell the truth or helped guide him through that train wreck of a press conference?

Poor leadership to get to the point of cheating and even worse the trainwreck afterwards in the press conference.
Bancroft cheated, lied to the umps and again that night.
I don’t trust him at all. No one trusts Warner and Smith well looks like he is guilty of being an extraordinarily bad captain.

Wrecked the game for themselves and the fans with a series of lies after cheating.
None of them seem to learn until the media/public literally everyone smashed them.

It’s hard to say really. I don’t reckon it was a “meeting” where they sat down for 20 mins going over the details. Would’ve been more as they were getting ready to go out “how about we try to get the ball changed?”. That to me swings it more in the “heat of the moment” as they were under pressure and well behind in the game and took it out there spur of the moment not wanting to lose the test. Pre-meditated says to me that they would do it in the second innings no matter what the result was looking like, slightly different from my view.
Yeah i can understand that view. And look i dont honestly have all the info and my comments were just my view. Its hard to have a concrete opinion when you only have limited information.

But either way i still really dislike that that conversation can happen with several players and none of them say "NO! We are not doing that"

I follow the tests and the big bash mostly, bit of the shield, might watch a one dayer if nothing else on.

I'm going to boycott the tests for 12 months due to their ridiculous overreaction.

Count me back in when Smith is back.

Mate just because someone is crying or upset doesn't mean they are '100% truthful'. Did you believe the tape story?
Are you aware that its been reported that Bancroft has a rep for ball work? Do you believe that we never ball tampered and suddenly started in with sandpaper? Do you really think anything can be done to the ball without the bowlers ok?

Gee by all means have sympathy for them but lets not kid ourselves.

Where has it been reported that Bancroft has a rep for ball work ?

Just a massive overreaction. Australian cricket is now a disgrace not because of the actions of those involved but for the way people have completely and utterly overreacted to an issue that was appropriately dealt with by the ICC and the stripping of the captaincies. Hope the players appeal and they all get off except for the original punishments. I know many people will disagree but I don’t care. I won’t be watching another Australia A “Test” match until our best players are back and playing for our country. If everyone was banned for one year after tampering with a ball our Australian side would be filled with U12s

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not surprised Lehmann has stood down, thought he might have done it after the series was over though.

If the captain has copped a ban for not stopping this ball tampering plan then the coach has to take responsibility for it happening under his watch too.

It would have been wrong for Lehmann to continue on as coach while Smith is sitting on the sidelines for a year.

But smith knew Lehmann didn’t? It’s so naive to say Lehmann should have known what’s he going to do put 24 hour surveillance on his players ?

If your hashing a plan to cheat you’re hiding it from the coach for sure

If everyone was banned for one year after tampering with a ball our Australian side would be filled with U12s
If everyone was banned for one year for tampering with a ball then nobody would do it.

Complaining about the severity of the ban just encourages the behaviour. Had to be done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back