Australian International Rules Squad Announced

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do we have to play with the round ball? Tackling, which is an integral part of our game has to be sacrificed because it doesn't suit their 'needs' so why not put a footy in for a round ball as a compromise?

Australia will never win if Ireland have such a huge advantage like that.

Why do we have to play with the round ball? Tackling, which is an integral part of our game has to be sacrificed because it doesn't suit their 'needs' so why not put a footy in for a round ball as a compromise?

Australia will never win if Ireland have such a huge advantage like that.
Have you ever watched International Rules ? tackling is allowed as much as it is in AFL ( gaelic footy has no tackling but IR does). Plus we play with a round ball as it's a hybrid game and it's easier to kick a round ball than it is to kick an oval footy ( ask a non footy person to kick a round ball and they'd do a decent job but most of them would struggle to kick an aussie rules ball first go )

Please West Australians, don't buy tickets to this bastard of a sport.

As much as I'd love state of origin back, I can accept the reasons for it not, but not if they serve this up. Just another case of the AFL giving the punters something they didn't even asking for.

I wouldn't like to kick a sport while it's down. Even if its a hybrid. But I think even the most naive, easily conned AFL fans realise this a really pathetic off season money making plan that is severely weak.

I think deep down they think if they put in the title AFL and International Rules they might get some attendance.

Wow, thats a real good side.. backlash from the last series definitely heard, but what happens if Aus just completely destroys them (with no disrespect, its quite a possibility) and game is pretty much over by like HT? Will they just go back to the previous formula of having a only a few stars to make the game even or just finally scrap it?

Im hoping it will be a competitive game and I for one look forward to attending now! :thumbsu:
The Irish will give it a good go. Even when we've had the big names playing we only get em down the stretch.

As much as I'd love state of origin back, I can accept the reasons for it not, but not if they serve this up. Just another case of the AFL giving the punters something they didn't even asking for.
If the punters never wanted it then why did 60,000 show up in 2003 at the MCG to watch it? That same series had a capacity crowd at Subiaco as well.

Oh enough already FFS so many people love to criticise International Rules but lack real reasons as to why they dislike it. If the "punters" didn't like it then why were there crowds of 80,000+ in Ireland and 60,000+ at the MCG aswell as close to 40,000 the last few times it's been played here in Perth. Crowds have dipped in recent series cause Australia has put up rubbish teams with few stars, when both sides put strong teams on the park the "punters" clearly enjoy this series.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't been too interested in the past (just can't get past the round ball either like that Hawks supporter said) but after seeing the squad now I kind of feel like I'm obligated to go.

Haven't heard a peep about it up here, doubt we will send all of our best players, between injuries, club championship games in some counties and players inability to get off work for a junket to Oz we never do!

Looking forward to seeing the Aussie team in action though, A very strong team, they should make for entertaining viewing! I see Tadhg Kenneally is a selector with Australia! Ye are welcome to him, sneaky pr1ck!

You know ... If you can get all the players together for a weekend why not call it state of origin and split the players into states ....

I like the IRS so good to see they have some quality talent there

Next year have a bye weekend and let's have a state of origin carnival

I don't mind international rules though I'm not terribly into it.

I'm not going to bitch and moan about SOO because I don't think it's mutually exclusive with IR.

I have no problems with SOO, but I don't want it played during the season.

State of origin is ridiculous because there are just too many teams, it works in NRL because it's just 2 teams facing off. AFL either has to make it East vs West or some other all stars game

IR is better because it's just one game (now)

People often deride this series because it doesn't involve the All-Australian team.

Well this squad, while not containing all the players from the 2014 All-Australian team, certainly has a lot of All Australians.

In fact, every single player listed has been an All Australian. Mostly within the past 5 years. Fletcher has to go back 7 years, but he's makes an awesome goalkeeper.

Haven't heard a peep about it up here, doubt we will send all of our best players, between injuries, club championship games in some counties and players inability to get off work for a junket to Oz we never do!

Looking forward to seeing the Aussie team in action though, A very strong team, they should make for entertaining viewing! I see Tadhg Kenneally is a selector with Australia! Ye are welcome to him, sneaky pr1ck!
Well if that's the case it sounds like Ireland are going to get destroyed this time around. That's funny, because when we only sent our Aboriginal boys the GAA wasn't happy about the Aussies not sending their strongest side.

Well if that's the case it sounds like Ireland are going to get destroyed this time around. That's funny, because when we only sent our Aboriginal boys the GAA wasn't happy about the Aussies not sending their strongest side.

But its always been the case, The GAA has never sent its strongest team ie its All Star team or a team specifically made up of past All Stars! They constantly send the strongest team available to them but its never been anyway near the strongest team that could possibly play the game. Id love to see the All Australian team play The GAA All Star team but I know its not possible due to the set up of the GAA season!

The GAA wasn't happy with the weak Aussie teams of recent years because ye were taking the piss! If the AFL wasn't interested in the series that was perfectly fine but at least have the decency to tell us and don't disrespect us by sending jokes of teams and wasting our time and money. Last year took the biscuit it literally looked like ye went into the outback rounded up a few indigenous aborigines sent them on a flight to the Irish winter and they looked completely lost in the bright lights of Breifini Park and Croke Park. It would have been funny only that the GAA and AFL were charging people 25 or 30 euro a head into watch that rubbish not to mention it was quiet a racist stunt that the AFL pulled and dragged us into it.

Id expect the Aussies to win the series this year, but if Ireland select a team with enough of the top players in it Id expect it to be a close run thing. Obviously I want Ireland to win but as long as its entertaining I will be happy enough!

Just put on a boxing match instead. The fights are the only reason anyone actually watches International Rules.

How much do the players get paid?

If any of you bothered to watch IRS it's a great game in fact it's hardly different than Aussie Rules outside of a round ball and a net in the goals.

Those are pretty big differences.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back