Aussies Australian Prospects for London 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

And by memory,they both swum slower in the final!

1. 50m Freestyle-Eamon Sullivan
2. 100m Freestyle-Eamon Sullivan
3. 50m Freestyle-Libby Trickett
4. 100m Freestyle-Libby Trickett
5. 1500m Free-Grant Hackett
6. 200m Breastroke-Leisel Jones
7. 200m Butterfly-Jessica Schipper

All the above Australians entered the Olympic Final in 2008 as the reigning World Record Holder.
They all lost...

Yep and not all got minor medals;

1. 6th 21.28 was WR, swam 21.86
2. bronze 47.50 was WR, swam 47.32 but in semi swam 47.05 and 47.24 in relay
3. 4th 23.97 was WR, swam 24.25
4. silver 52.88 was WR, swam 53.16
5. silver 14:34 was WR swum in 2001, Hacket swum 14:41 quicker than in Sydney and Athens but inheat swum 14:38
6. silver 2:20.54 was WR swum 2:22.05
7. bronze 2:05.40 was WR swum 2:06.26

But lets look at the circumstances. Remember the heats were at night and semis and finals during the day thanks to NBC's BS changing the schedule.

Tricket - she had a big program, won the Butterfly first and then I think she struggled to handle favourtism and workload. She is a pretty emotional swimmer. German Steffen only did the freestyle events.
9th Aug swim 100 BF heat
10th 100m BF semi + 4 x 100m Free Final - won bronze
11th BF final - won Gold
13th 100m Free heat
14th 100m semi
15th 100m Free final + 50m Free heat
16th 50m Free semi
17th 50m Free final + 4 x 100m Medley

Sullivan only had the 4 x100m relay to worry about before his 100m. According to SMH on Wednesday 6th of August 2008 ( I have kept SMH and Australian Olympics section from the week before Olympics to the end) they rated him to win gold in 50m and silver in the 100m.

Jones won her gold in the 100m first only 0:08 slower than her WR and then swan 2 seconds less than her WR to get silver in 200m.

Hackett we have talked about.

Schipper was tipped by the SMH to get silver in the 100m BF and Gold in the 200m. She got 2 bronzes. In the 200m the one if not both the Chinese girls who came and trained with her squad both swam 2:04's. Liu Zige was probably a classic example of a nobody who came from the clouds and improved her time by 2.5 seconds. But she was known to Schipper and her coach seeing as they trained together for several months. Shades of Stephen Holland in 1976 and training with Brian Goodell in the USA. In both cases the world record holder was beaten by their training partner and a fellow country man/woman sneaked in for the silver.

Nicole Stevenson tipped Oz swimmers to win 10 golds on the day before competition began.

3 Trickett 50m F, 100m F, 100 BF
2 Jones 100m BR, 200m BR
2 Womens relay 4 x 100m F, 4 x 100m Med
1 Hackett 1,500m F
1 Sullivan 50m F
1 Rice 200m IM

It was a case of 4 out of 10. She missed Rice 400m IM and woman's 4 x 200m F relay.

In the last 10 years - let's be honest - performances could fluctuate with the suit your sponsor provided (and made you wear). They were producing new types every few months, and sometimes your supplier got it right, nd sometimes they didn't. i remember when they were finally banned - I forget which was the top suit at the time, I think it was Adidas - if you weren't wearing one, you wouldn't win. Non Adidas Sponsors even gave their athletes a free pass to wear one.

If you're after a real smokey, you can get crazy odds on Ibrahim Balla in the Men's Boxing Bantamweight division. Currently $101. He comes from a huge Boxing family. Should be a 20-1 chance, IMO.

Damo Hooper in the light heavyweight is a MASSIVE chance to win gold. Can't believe the odds of 10/1 on him to win at the moment.

A definite E/W bet for me

Arhhh no...

Now 2012,I just cannot see who Missiles biggest threat is?
Name me Magnussens biggest threat?

His teammate who is a legitimate gold medal chance yet nobody has uttered a word about him in the leadup to the Olympics.

Only way Australia don't win the 4x100m free is if they get DQ'd

The battle between Meares and Pendleton is going to be the highlight for me. Well known both hate each other off the track and what happened at the World Champs in Melbourne in the semi final of the sprint just added fuel to the fire

Damo Hooper in the light heavyweight is a MASSIVE chance to win gold. Can't believe the odds of 10/1 on him to win at the moment.

A definite E/W bet for me
I tried searching for EW betting on the Boxing... any ideas where?

His teammate who is a legitimate gold medal chance yet nobody has uttered a word about him in the leadup
I agree.
The original argument was based on the fact that No Australian will win the 100m Free.

In fact,Infostrada( who News Ltd seem to rely on),has tipped that James Roberts wont even make the final.

His teammate who is a legitimate gold medal chance yet nobody has uttered a word about him in the leadup to the Olympics.

Only way Australia don't win the 4x100m free is if they get DQ'd

Haha!

Is this going to be one of Australia's worst Olympic Games? Where are all the medals going to come from?

We're looking down the barrel at a Barcelona type result if we bomb out in Cycling. And half the cycling medals are coming from one person.
Think we should all calm down a bit. There's only been 2 days of competition and we've really only lost one medal that we were expected to, the 4x100. We should still end up with 10-15 golds.

Most were only predicting two in the pool. We lost one and picked up one. Also I think we are a good chance for other golds I hadn't considered pre-Games.

We had 2 down as an "absolute lock" being the 100m mens and 4x100m mens. You'd have to think the 100m is now looking very poor.

the cycling and sailing will make it anyway, between them we over half our expected golds. If we bomb either of them we won't get 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had 2 down as an "absolute lock" being the 100m mens and 4x100m mens. You'd have to think the 100m is now looking very poor.

the cycling and sailing will make it anyway, between them we over half our expected golds. If we bomb either of them we won't get 10.
I'm pretty confident we'll get at least 10, we have 2 gold contenders in BMX. It's only early and James has got another 2 events as well i think

Just shows there is no such thing as a lock in the Olympics.

James Magnussen and James Roberts are pretty inexperienced at international meets. I hope they are learning fast.

Most were only predicting two in the pool. We lost one and picked up one. Also I think we are a good chance for other golds I hadn't considered pre-Games.

I think one of the reasons that Mags and the relay team - but mostly Mags - have got such flogging in the press is that we really are going to be hard up for gold medals at the Olympics and the more jingoistic parts of the media can't bear it.

I've got to say, I've said it before, Ian Thorpe is doing a fantastic job on the BBC. He's nearly as good as Michael Johnson, who is one of the best sports commentators going.

Was Magnussen doing bongs with Phelps before his post race interview. Looked like he was spaced out.
Reckoned he didn't sleep for 2 days before the relay as it was starting to hit him, the nerves, the expectation. In that case, we can't expect much from the 100m as he can't be mentally in a good state.

So, once again where are all the golds going to come from? :(

Well not from the missile, his Olympics is done, I reckon. He's not the fastest in the 50m and the US are usually a lock on the medley relay.

God the way we are going, Anna Mears is going to fall off her bike and snap an ankle and the Kookas are going to all get gastro on the eve of their semi-final.

So, once again where are all the golds going to come from? :(

all over the place, cycling track and bmx, rowing, sailing, athletics, hockey

The reality is we can not compete against the big nations. US is and always will be a powerhouse, their collegiate system is the best sporting infrastructure in the world. GB pumping resources into their team for London. China's state run machine will absolutely destroy everyone for the foreseeable future. When you can drag kids out of school at 8 years of age and put them into hard training its pretty hard to compete. I don't think they fund any non Olympic sports either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back