Australian public vote with their feet on 50 over cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

In 1991-92, we played a 12 game series (8 games each team) v India and the Windies just before the WC, which we won over India in the finals. We looked fabulous, and at the same time, Pakistan looked horrendous in their warm-ups (belted by Tasmania) and first few actual games before turning it on and winning the cup, and NZ were smashed by England in a warm up series before going undefeated in the minor round until the last game and final, both against Pakistan...

Allan Border said later that no thought or preparation went into the campaign that year, and everyone outside the actual team thought they were shoe-ins as reigning champs and hosts to make the finals and then win it based upon recent form...all they'd have to do is turn up, but it didn't quite work out like that. The preparation for the next WC was intense, but when they still couldn't take home the trophy, Australia led the way with splitting the test and ODI teams and resting players for extended periods in "nothing matches" with a view to future WC's. An understatement to say they were taking it very seriously...

Australia v Afghanistan is in Perth, yes? I'll be going to that, work schedule etc permitting.

Went to the WACA last Sunday. Myself and two kids, we had one drink and one ice-cream each at the ground, total cost just over $200. If there was a Test in Perth this summer, we'd go to that instead (my kids prefer Test cricket to limited overs stuff, they're good boys!).

I believe the World Cup tickets are much cheaper, if they aren't we won't be going again this summer.

Australia v Afghanistan is in Perth, yes? I'll be going to that, work schedule etc permitting.

Went to the WACA last Sunday. Myself and two kids, we had one drink and one ice-cream each at the ground, total cost just over $200. If there was a Test in Perth this summer, we'd go to that instead (my kids prefer Test cricket to limited overs stuff, they're good boys!).

I believe the World Cup tickets are much cheaper, if they aren't we won't be going again this summer.

I've bought my tickets for that match. From memory it cost me $20

Kids tickets all every single World Cup match are $5. I couldn't believe it when it was announced, this is the ICC after all.

Got my tickets to six matches already, including the opener at the 'G and, the epic battle of the titans, Zimbabwe vs UAE at Nelson. Long live 50-over cricket. :thumbsu:

Australia vs England World Cup is pricier than the Alcohol Series but neither team is a minnow.

Wife's family in Melbourne announced a wedding on Sat March 28. My first response was to look at the WC schedule. $125 bucks and a day leave request for work later, I'm set for the Final...!

I'm in the nosebleed section, but I don't care. A bit less expense in a year we're building a house, and I never would have gone if it weren't for this wedding, living up here in FNQ...girls off to the Melbourne markets when I'm at cricket...everyone's a winner...

Kids tickets all every single World Cup match are $5. I couldn't believe it when it was announced, this is the ICC after all.

Got my tickets to six matches already, including the opener at the 'G and, the epic battle of the titans, Zimbabwe vs UAE at Nelson. Long live 50-over cricket. :thumbsu:
Sound like the kids tickets are offsetting the price of airfares...!

I've bought my tickets for that match. From memory it cost me $20

Grass banks?

I paid $60 for my ticket, Invarity Stand, that's pretty much that was left. Will be going by myself to that one. A mate and I and 2 of his mates are off to India vs West Indies ($40 each), and said mate and I are off to India vs UAE (will either go for grass banks $20, or South West Members $30). With only 3 matches in Perth I thought well why the hell not all 3?

Grass banks?

I paid $60 for my ticket, Invarity Stand, that's pretty much that was left. Will be going by myself to that one. A mate and I and 2 of his mates are off to India vs West Indies ($40 each), and said mate and I are off to India vs UAE (will either go for grass banks $20, or South West Members $30). With only 3 matches in Perth I thought well why the hell not all 3?

I always go grass banks.

Poor uni student

i started going to the ODI's around the end of the 90's early 00's at the MCG and it was always treated as a special event even guys who didn't like cricket from high school would tag along.

why it has declined in my opinion

- ticket prices, would of been not much more then $20 back then
- the best players always played, now they don't
- every game is live now as someone pointed out earlier melbourne only got 2 hours of the afternoon session
- Too much cricket being played now
- the format has become to predictable and boring

In 1991-92, we played a 12 game series (8 games each team) v India and the Windies just before the WC, which we won over India in the finals. We looked fabulous, and at the same time, Pakistan looked horrendous in their warm-ups (belted by Tasmania) and first few actual games before turning it on and winning the cup, and NZ were smashed by England in a warm up series before going undefeated in the minor round until the last game and final, both against Pakistan...

was a wonderful series, you had Lara and Tendulkar starting out. I was about 10 at the time but still remember some of the games and moments. Interesting none of the teams made the Semis of the world cup so maybe Australia looked a bit better then what they were, as for preparation well they couldn't find a settled side for the whole world cup and by the time they did it was too late.

The Sri Lankan team that won the 96 world cup really changed the way ODI cricket was played, the explosive openers mean't the end for guys like Mark Taylor and wicket keepers who couldn't add much with the bat like Ian Healy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ticket prices are the main reason, followed by the fact it is on tv. combination of the 2 means nobody wants to go.

If you had adults $20 and kids $10 then you would get decent crowds. Dont charge anything extra for reserved seats. Go back to the first 2 hours on tv only and you will get 30k+ every game at the MCG.

ticket prices are the main reason, followed by the fact it is on tv. combination of the 2 means nobody wants to go.

If you had adults $20 and kids $10 then you would get decent crowds. Dont charge anything extra for reserved seats. Go back to the first 2 hours on tv only and you will get 30k+ every game at the MCG.

$10 for a beer and $13.50 for a bourbon doesn't help.

Take the tickets/food into account, and if you have a solid day at the game with your mates, it's a $300+ day.

T20 and Test Cricket is the way forward. No one cares about ODI's anymore. Scrap them after the WC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back