Awesome movies thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Danny Boyle's style (aside from Slumdog), but with this subject matter I'd prefer to know a bit more about the psychology as opposed to dramatising Ralston's thought processes by having little fantasy sequences (although I appreciate you can't really do that within the constraints of a movie). I am going to purchase Ralston's book however.

That's quite interesting as I felt the dream sequences emulated the psychology of what it may be like in such a predicament.
Putting myself in that situation, I am not sure I'd last as long as he did, but given 127 hours, my loves, hates, missed opportunities, gained opportunities and ideals may just come to the fore.

Saw an ok little time-filler last night.....called Monsters (not the animated variety), similar to District 9 and Cloverfield, but more of an atmospheric slow-burner....7/10, was well done and worth a look if you have exhausted the current mainstream content....found in the usual places.

I have had intentions to see Monsters.
I've somehow got into these monster/post apocalypse type movies of late.

Book of Eli looked great and that alone made the movie worthwhile for me, as the story-line was painful at best.

yeah the express is a good sports flick, its got that "every nfl fim ever made" feel about

but Quaid is good and just the story itself is worth a look

just watched "Fair Game" true story, political type thriller, sean penn and naomi watts, from what started as a pretty average start, thought it did really well

if those two weren't in it, it could have been absolutely horrible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Game_(2010_film)

watched a doco "the tillman story" if you're into docos about the US govt screws people around, this is bloody good

the longer it goes, the more you realize it really was a bad time when those dudes were running the show

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tillman_Story

is that the Pat Tillman story?? I've read good things about it, it's on my to watch list. I recognise the face and reckon he was running around when I was young and interested in the NFL.

yeah the one and the same

but there is very little time spent on his NFL career (in saying that some of his highlights were just brilliant, guy could tackle, no doubt, and he seemed like an absolute legend)

yeah the one and the same

but there is very little time spent on his NFL career (in saying that some of his highlights were just brilliant, guy could tackle, no doubt, and he seemed like an absolute legend)

Was a good doco, family and mother in particular were very admirable, straight shooters. Rumsfeld came out looking like the snake he is.

No, no no no no no, no no no, noooooo

There is a time and place where one succumbs to the dumbed down. Last night was my weakness.

I must say though that the "preacher" scene was handled very well and The Rock hardly disgraced himself, which can't be said for the rest of the cast.

I've seen worse. :(

Saw true grit on friday, wanted some opinions, it was okay, very good acting from Bridges, Damon and the young girl (Steenfeild??) but that was it, the plot was slow and pretty dull, Josh Brolin (who i personally rate very highly) was wasted. The cinema i went to was full and alot of people left throughout, those that stayed seemed pretty disappointed by the end. Not saying it was a horrible film but given its high rating by critics (and IMDB) i was expecting alot more. It was just a bit boring? Thoughts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shutup Harks :p

I hate to sound like a snob......but......

It may not be a film for the masses....like many Coen efforts

I thought the screenplay was superb, acting was spot on right across the board.......every scene from the Coen's is a gift........and aside from all that, if you can't sit back and simply enjoy the their take on fifties pulp writing then probably wasting your time anyway. These blokes are great students of both classic american literature and the hard boiled genre.

True Grit might be as much a nod to their own developing style as the source material.

Shutup Harks :p

I hate to sound like a snob......but......

It may not be a film for the masses....like many Coen efforts

I thought the screenplay was superb, acting was spot on right across the board.......every scene from the Coen's is a gift........and aside from all that, if you can't sit back and simply enjoy the their take on fifties pulp writing then probably wasting your time anyway. These blokes are great students of both classic american literature and the hard boiled genre.

True Grit might be as much a nod to their own developing style as the source material.

Your probably right, I'm a huge fan of the Coens, probably like many, but this effort just seemed dull and lifeless, haven't read the source material, just felt that with the exception of one or two scenes there really wasn't much to crow about, and the scene with the mysterious stranger just felt odd and completely destroyed the flow and pace of the film. Obviously not for a film for everyone.

I do appreciate where you are coming from....they tend to throw in one or two of those quirky Coen scenes into all their films...sometimes they work and flow better than others....this one may not have fitted quite so well......but it did act as a dues ex machina to get them to the cabin and the first encounter with Little Ned's gang.

Mrs Splendini has a girl crush on Adams....I think that gives me a free pass to follow suit :eek: ...pretty sure

Adams has been good in everything I've seen her in. Sunshine Cleaning isn't the worst little indie film going aorund.

Harker & Splendini :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back