Bancroft overlooked

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones was dropped after having the highest average on the previous tour to Sri Lanka. He scored 77 and an unbeaten hundred, then missed out twice in the final Test and was dropped for the next series.

Hodge was dropped for a subcontinent tour from memory, so averaging mid 50s in tests or whatever it was. I believe it was Martyn who got recalled and I think he'd averaged mid 20s in the Shield that year.

Basically selectors will do whatever they want I guess.

Hodge was dropped for a subcontinent tour from memory, so averaging mid 50s in tests or whatever it was. I believe it was Martyn who got recalled and I think he'd averaged mid 20s in the Shield that year.

Basically selectors will do whatever they want I guess.
Selectors and key players do yes. Has been the case for as long as I can remember.
From memory Martyn was good friends with Ponting? Who definitely would've been influential from a selection perspective.

Selectors and key players do yes. Has been the case for as long as I can remember.
From memory Martyn was good friends with Ponting? Who definitely would've been influential from a selection perspective.

Wouldn't surprise me, they probably played in underage Aus teams together. Building relationships with team mates is a good way to stay in the team or keep getting second chances.

Take Mitch Marsh, I'm sure him seeming to be a ripper bloke has gotten him a lot of recalls to the team and now he's making the most of it, if he was a w***er he'd probably not have even played test cricket.

I reckon Jones was easy to replace for similar reasons to Brad Hodge.

Not all players who missed out were screwed over.
Brad Hodge had a bad tests in Melbourne & Sydney immediately after his 200 at the WACA where I’m think I’m right there was the perception at least that he had an issue with the short ball and combined with the whispers that he was a “bad tourist” he got stiffed for DM Martyn & MJ Clarke for the upcoming tour to SA on bouncy tracks with fast bowlers add in that Ponting was Captain and there was always rumoured to be friction there.

Harsh as it was history says it turned out ok.
Victoria had three top quality bats that were on the surface harshly treated

Jones
Hodge
Elliot

There were “noises” around why each got overlooked and in most cases it had to do with off field or personality clashes

Brad Hodge had a bad tests in Melbourne & Sydney immediately after his 200 at the WACA where I’m think I’m right there was the perception at least that he had an issue with the short ball and combined with the whispers that he was a “bad tourist” he got stiffed for DM Martyn & MJ Clarke for the upcoming tour to SA on bouncy tracks with fast bowlers add in that Ponting was Captain and there was always rumoured to be friction there.

Jones
Hodge
Elliot

There were “noises” around why each got overlooked and in most cases it had to do with off field or personality clashes
To the extent he may be considered Victorian, you could probably add Rogers to that list. He is the one I genuinely feel bad for.

I am not so sure Elliot was treated harshly though. He did lose his way ant test level, and was then recalled for a one-off in ‘03 (against Sri Lanka I think). They did honour his form on that occasion.

Jones
Hodge
Elliot

After Matthew Elliott's last test century, he had single-figure scores for 8 of his next 11 innings. Not many survive that.

The game he was dropped for was the same one Warnie missed in the West Indies. Needed to win it to win the series, and we did.

After Matthew Elliott's last test century, he had single-figure scores for 8 of his next 11 innings. Not many survive that.

The game he was dropped for was the same one Warnie missed in the West Indies. Needed to win it to win the series, and we did.
In the golden era - virtually every player got dropped and returned for another shot bar a couple. I do t think it’s the dropping that was the issue, more the failure to get back in

To the extent he may be considered Victorian, you could probably add Rogers to that list. He is the one I genuinely feel bad for.

I am not so sure Elliot was treated harshly though. He did lose his way ant test level, and was then recalled for a one-off in ‘03 (against Sri Lanka I think). They did honour his form on that occasion.
he was mentally sorted out in that Windies series. getting short bowling around the grill.

I’m not advocating for any of them - I’m just commenting on the perception and I’ll use Mark Waugh as the example - this is where a lot of the perceived NSW bias came from

In my opinion there was definitely something to the NSW bias thing back in those times - and for some time beyond.

I wouldn't say that there was a NSW bias in selection now, or anytime in the recent past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

0% chance that Bancroft or other alternatives puts the team on his back to nearly secure victory like Smith did today.

Given the alternative doesn’t involve Smith not being in the side at all and we all know he loves batting with the tail anyway that’s a tiny bit disingenuous

0% chance that Bancroft or other alternatives puts the team on his back to nearly secure victory like Smith did today.

1000 percent chance he is a better batsman than green at 4 but. for the record i want mcsweeney at 4 so no boat in this fight.

Smith would be in the side anyway. It would be green or marsh out if bancroft was picked.

More water to go under the bridge before they pick their NZ squad, but it would be difficult to maintain that Renshaw is next in line because he's the better bat when he's put up 2 and 2. Bancroft 'only' made 42 but it's not far off his average. That said, I still think they pick Renshaw.

More water to go under the bridge before they pick their NZ squad, but it would be difficult to maintain that Renshaw is next in line because he's the better bat when he's put up 2 and 2. Bancroft 'only' made 42 but it's not far off his average. That said, I still think they pick Renshaw.
surprise surprise renshaw failing in the shield again :rolleyes:

They won’t be changing the backup bat and that pitch in the QLD game no one has made runs bar McDermott that’s it.

FWIW, on the Australia A tour to New Zealand last year, Renshaw was light years ahead of any other batter. Two centuries and a 70 in two matches, scored 332 runs all up, next best from either side was 205.
I get the argument for Renshaw's A form and age, but ultimately, we should still prioritise Shield form. The majority of our games are played here in Oz, we shouldn't be picking teams based on how they perform in one country, unless they want to go horses for courses (which I don't necessarily have a problem with, picking in Oz and Renshaw in England, for example, makes some sense).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back